Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

I can't find the answer to this question online anywhere, this forum or beyond. Apologies if it's out there.

What is that sort of Scottish-sounding intro melody Ed Bickert plays at the beginning of Desmond's "I'm Old Fashioned"?

Having read the Desmond biography, I'm assuming there's a joke there.

BTW, doing some close listening to that CD in both the 1990 mastering and the Anniversary edition, I came to the conclusion that the mastering on the newer Anniversary edition is...um, really really not my taste, and there are some edits that make no sense. Ed's guitar on the newer version seems really compressed and lacking in subtlety, sonically speaking. I could go on. But I won't.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know what classical piece it's from, but it always struck me as a musical joke, i.e. classical music= 'olde fashioned'.
    Quite funny, IMHO.

User Info Menu

Don't know, but I really like what happens after that - the first chord under the first horn note... Gm7b13 (or maybe Ebadd9/G because it's followed by the F/A under the same note)...? It almost sounds like a mistake, but for a song with a peculiar little intro like that, you just don't follow that by immediately messing up. That first chord sound under the horn is a very common Baroque move...

Not sure if it helps but there is a quote from "Bye Bye Blackbird" at 3:33...
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."