Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Full concert april 2018 Zürich, Switserland. I saw him in this same trio a few years ago in Rotterdam. When I saw him he was playing his signature Gibson and sounded not so dark as at this concert. He is playing a different guitar here with a more muffled sound. So what guitar is this?

    Regardless of sound, Pat is my man. Love this trio.

    DB


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Benedetto

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    He is a great guitarist, an icon and an elder. Long may he play.

    I can't believe he had his brain aneurysm in 1980 and lost all memory of how to play the guitar. Apparently he had to relearn from scratch. (Larry Carlton and Jimmy Bruno's experiences come to mind here as well.)

    I haven't learned to play guitar like a genius even once in a lifetime, and he's done it twice???
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

    Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    He is a great guitarist, an icon and an elder. Long may he play.

    I can't believe he had his brain aneurysm in 1980 and lost all memory of how to play the guitar. Apparently he had to relearn from scratch. (Larry Carlton and Jimmy Bruno's experiences come to mind here as well.)
    What happened to Larry? (I know that Jimmy Bruno was in the hospital for major surgery of some sort.)
    Pat I knew about and appreciated him even more because of his comeback!

    Doug

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Interesting kind of modern sound there with his guitar. I posted elsewhere that his more woody tone from the 70's is a tone to die for IMHO--the epitome of tones.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

    Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I haven't learned to play guitar like a genius even once in a lifetime, and he's done it twice???
    They say it's easier the second time around... ;o)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    What happened to Larry? (I know that Jimmy Bruno was in the hospital for major surgery of some sort.)
    Pat I knew about and appreciated him even more because of his comeback!

    Doug
    Somebody shot Larry Carlton:

    Legendary guitarist was shot in a gang attack and got even better | TheSpec.com

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    What happened to Larry? (I know that Jimmy Bruno was in the hospital for major surgery of some sort.)
    Pat I knew about and appreciated him even more because of his comeback!

    Doug

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Wow-some story-I never heard about it at the time. Good for Larry.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    I read later on somewhere that the shooting was one of the reasons he moved to Nashville and out of L.A.; to get away
    from the high crime.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Great to hear Pat in full flight again. Amazing playing, great trio too.

    Never knew that about Larry.

    So, now I need a near-death experience to improve my playing! Maybe I'll take up collecting stamps instead!

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    You know that "needle stuck in a groove" thing Pat is fond of doing, where he repeats the same phrase over and over the chord changes? I think the keyboard player has been listening to him. Checkout the the solo at the 14:20 spot. It even raises a smile from Pat.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I can't believe he had his brain aneurysm in 1980 and lost all memory of how to play the guitar. Apparently he had to relearn from scratch.
    Pat was the 'guest legend' on an online forum a while back. I noted that after the surgery he was not 'required' to go back to playing guitar and asked him about what it was like for him to decide to do that. Pat acknowledged the post but the very notion that there was a 'choice' is not how he perceives that moment or himself.

    That was fascinating to me. Pat was fairly deep into Eastern philosophy (and, for all I know, still is). Here's someone who wound up with a clean karmic slate, chose to take up his previous burden and simply does not see the world and his life that way at all.

    No value judgment -- Mr. Martino, do what you do and thank you for inspiring jazz guitarists everywhere. But it was a particularly cool reminder that people see all kinds of things differently.
    "Don't worry about that. Everybody talks about finding your voice. Do your homework and your voice will find you." - Branford Marsalis

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    Full concert april 2018 Zürich, Switserland. I saw him in this same trio a few years ago in Rotterdam. When I saw him he was playing his signature Gibson and sounded not so dark as at this concert. He is playing a different guitar here with a more muffled sound. So what guitar is this?

    Regardless of sound, Pat is my man. Love this trio.

    DB
    great vid. i opened for him 10 days later.

    Full concert Pat Martino april 2018-holger-pat-jpg

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by djg View Post
    great vid. i opened for him 10 days later.

    Full concert Pat Martino april 2018-holger-pat-jpg
    Great Holger! Congrats. Where was that show?

    DB

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    You know that "needle stuck in a groove" thing Pat is fond of doing, where he repeats the same phrase over and over the chord changes? I think the keyboard player has been listening to him. Checkout the the solo at the 14:20 spot. It even raises a smile from Pat.
    I always think of that as an organ thing that Pat copied. What goes around...
    Build bridges, not walls.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    Great Holger! Congrats. Where was that show?

    DB
    it was in dortmund at the local jazzclub. certainly a highlight in my modest "career".