The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Full concert april 2018 Zürich, Switserland. I saw him in this same trio a few years ago in Rotterdam. When I saw him he was playing his signature Gibson and sounded not so dark as at this concert. He is playing a different guitar here with a more muffled sound. So what guitar is this?

Regardless of sound, Pat is my man. Love this trio.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Benedetto

User Info Menu

He is a great guitarist, an icon and an elder. Long may he play.

I can't believe he had his brain aneurysm in 1980 and lost all memory of how to play the guitar. Apparently he had to relearn from scratch. (Larry Carlton and Jimmy Bruno's experiences come to mind here as well.)

I haven't learned to play guitar like a genius even once in a lifetime, and he's done it twice???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    He is a great guitarist, an icon and an elder. Long may he play.

I can't believe he had his brain aneurysm in 1980 and lost all memory of how to play the guitar. Apparently he had to relearn from scratch. (Larry Carlton and Jimmy Bruno's experiences come to mind here as well.)
    What happened to Larry? (I know that Jimmy Bruno was in the hospital for major surgery of some sort.)
    Pat I knew about and appreciated him even more because of his comeback!

Doug

User Info Menu

Interesting kind of modern sound there with his guitar. I posted elsewhere that his more woody tone from the 70's is a tone to die for IMHO--the epitome of tones.

User Info Menu

I haven't learned to play guitar like a genius even once in a lifetime, and he's done it twice???
    They say it's easier the second time around... ;o)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    What happened to Larry? (I know that Jimmy Bruno was in the hospital for major surgery of some sort.)

Doug
    Somebody shot Larry Carlton:

Legendary guitarist was shot in a gang attack and got even better | TheSpec.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Wow-some story-I never heard about it at the time. Good for Larry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I read later on somewhere that the shooting was one of the reasons he moved to Nashville and out of L.A.; to get away
    from the high crime.

User Info Menu

Great to hear Pat in full flight again. Amazing playing, great trio too.

Never knew that about Larry.

So, now I need a near-death experience to improve my playing! Maybe I'll take up collecting stamps instead!

User Info Menu

You know that "needle stuck in a groove" thing Pat is fond of doing, where he repeats the same phrase over and over the chord changes? I think the keyboard player has been listening to him. Checkout the the solo at the 14:20 spot. It even raises a smile from Pat.

User Info Menu

I can't believe he had his brain aneurysm in 1980 and lost all memory of how to play the guitar. Apparently he had to relearn from scratch.
    Pat was the 'guest legend' on an online forum a while back. I noted that after the surgery he was not 'required' to go back to playing guitar and asked him about what it was like for him to decide to do that. Pat acknowledged the post but the very notion that there was a 'choice' is not how he perceives that moment or himself.

That was fascinating to me. Pat was fairly deep into Eastern philosophy (and, for all I know, still is). Here's someone who wound up with a clean karmic slate, chose to take up his previous burden and simply does not see the world and his life that way at all.

No value judgment -- Mr. Martino, do what you do and thank you for inspiring jazz guitarists everywhere. But it was a particularly cool reminder that people see all kinds of things differently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    great vid. i opened for him 10 days later.

Attachment 66102
    Great Holger! Congrats. Where was that show?

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    You know that "needle stuck in a groove" thing Pat is fond of doing, where he repeats the same phrase over and over the chord changes? I think the keyboard player has been listening to him. Checkout the the solo at the 14:20 spot. It even raises a smile from Pat.
    I always think of that as an organ thing that Pat copied. What goes around...