Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13
    New KB album being released November 15th:

CAPTURING SPIRITS - JKQ LIVE! (CD)

Here's a preview:

http://soundcloud.com/jonathan-kreisberg/the-lift-from-capturing-spirits-jkq-live/s-B3B5G

Midnight Blues

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Just hung out with Jonathan and caught the band these last two nights in London. This quartet, as captured on the new live album, continues to go from strength to strength.

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting! JK continues to evolve ... do I hear a hint of... distortion?!?! Love those long, flowing lines :-)

User Info Menu

Looking forward to this. I always appreciate great modern compositions that can weave rhythmically complex / snaky melodies and still maintain an identity with little catchy parts interspersed. Ostinatos also help keep things grounded and leave the tune ringing in your ears long after the information overload is over (fantastic overload, that is).

User Info Menu

Listening to the CD now. Nicely recorded, aided perhaps by the band not knowing they were being taped letting them be a bit more relaxed. I don't know what JK's influences are but I seem to hear a lot of Holdsworth, without sounding like a Holdsworth clone.

I saw the g/b/d version of this band when then came to Minnesota last year. Very tight unit. Between sets JK was very friendly and approachable, nice man in addition to being a monster musician.

I noticed that between songs he often put what looked like oil or something on his index finger from a little vial. Any notion what was up with that? He did it a lot and the fretboard looked downright greasy. Seems like there'd be less messy ways if you wanted to have some slipperiness on the strings and board.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Got the CD this week, too! Great stuff, and yes, @starjasmine -- lots of distortion!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Listening to the CD now. Nicely recorded, aided perhaps by the band not knowing they were being taped letting them be a bit more relaxed. I don't know what JK's influences are but I seem to hear a lot of Holdsworth, without sounding like a Holdsworth clone.

I saw the g/b/d version of this band when then came to Minnesota last year. Very tight unit. Between sets JK was very friendly and approachable, nice man in addition to being a monster musician.

I noticed that between songs he often put what looked like oil or something on his index finger from a little vial. Any notion what was up with that? He did it a lot and the fretboard looked downright greasy. Seems like there'd be less messy ways if you wanted to have some slipperiness on the strings and board.
    Yeah, he does use some oil on his left hand... I went to a masterclass he did a few years back and he named the brand. It's not finger-ease or the dunlop stuff. If I can come up with the name I'll post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Just hung out with Jonathan and caught the band these last two nights in London. This quartet, as captured on the new live album, continues to go from strength to strength.
    Very cool! Hoping I can catch him in Orlando.
    Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

I'm fascinated by the idea that they didn't know they were being recorded. How does that happen? Isn't there lots of extra stuff on stage when there is recording going on? Isn't it borderline illegal to record a band like that and not get a release of some kind? I'm glad it happened, but it's bizarre to imagine they were being professionally recorded, with a high level of quality, and didn't know it was happening.

the world is way bigger than I imagined, I guess.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

If everything is miked for the PA anyway, then it's easy to run that signal into a laptop with a DAW and record it. From the stage you might not notice anything different, especially with digital mixing boards, DAWs on laptops, etc. As for the legality of recording a band unbeknownst to them, I have no idea. The issue may be one of distributing the recording rather than actually making it.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

I'm not sure, but I think that Cunamara is correct with regard to recording. No doubt they would've informed him after the fact and once he heard the recording, he was pleased enough with it to release it. However it was done, I'm glad it was!

I don't know how anything else could be more "honest" or "raw" than this?

Thanks for the posts gang and
    Midnight Blues