The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hey all

I'm interested in checking out more of how JS approaches straight ahead(ish) comping. I really love what he does on Musing For Miles with Joe Henderson. Any more albums like that either as a leader or as a sideman you could recommend?

Thanks
    Paul

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The quartet albums with Lovano would be the next logical place I think. Meant To Be and Time On My Hands especially, but also What We Do and Past Present. He seem to do that style of comping less frequently if there's a keyboard player in the band

User Info Menu

By a long shot (for me), it's the Joe Henderson record So Near, So Far. Sco's comping on it is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by rmpmcdermott
    By a long shot (for me), it's the Joe Henderson record So Near, So Far. Sco's comping on it is unreal.

Yeah! That's the one I mentioned above (by a different name). It's great.

User Info Menu

Another great album, with Sco and John Abercrombie taking turns comping for each other on some straight ahead tunes with a burning rhythm section, is "Solar" from 1984.

User Info Menu

Scofield comps well on Gray Burton's Times Like These. I like recordings where the rhythm section is g\b\d (yea, NO piano) and there are other solo instruments (horns being preferred). Of course the guitar comping stands out in such a setting. It can be heard without that piano 'thing' going on in the background 24\7. In addition while I typically like a 'clean' guitar sound, effects can really add to the comping in such a setting. Fatter sound, use of distortion,,,, if done 'right' it adds something different. In this regard check out my favorite album in this regard; Dexter Gordon and Philip Catherine; Something Different.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 10-25-2019 at 02:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Maybe Jay McShann's Last of the Blue Devils--very early is Sco's career.

User Info Menu

No piano on this one, so Sco gets to do some comping:

User Info Menu

You can see him comping here during Chris Minh Doky’s bass solo:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    No piano on this one, so Sco gets to do some comping:
    Nice selection; Sco did a few albums with Lovano and yea, his comping really drives his solos.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 10-28-2019 at 03:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Nice selection; Sco did a few album with Lovano and yea, his comping really drives his solos.
    Funny thing is I looked up a Sco discography to find this, then I realised I’ve got the CD! Must give it a proper listen.

User Info Menu

There are some good examples here

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    There are some good examples here
    That's great! I guess maybe it goes without saying but I'm realizing that not only does he make his guitar sound like an organ on Mars through a Leslie, he sort of plays like a Martian organist.

He's all over the controls on his solo. Going back and forth from bridge to neck I guess?
    I've never really watched him play before. That was cool.