Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    In constrast to Jonah's Thread (great idea BTW!):









    Midnight Blues

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2








    Midnight Blues

  4. #3
    Midnight Blues

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues View Post
    In constrast to Jonah's Thread (great idea BTW!):
    I was looking in youtube for I Wish I New, which came instantly into my mind, to post as answer, but I see it is in the OP.
    Well, exactly!

  6. #5

    User Info Menu


  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
    I was looking in youtube for I Wish I New, which came instantly into my mind, to post as answer, but I see it is in the OP.
    Well, exactly!
    Apologies for beating you to it Gabor. I love that tune! In fact, with "I Wish I Knew", " "While We're Young" and "One For My Baby (And One More For The Road), "So Much Guitar" might be my favorite Wes album of all-time?


    Midnight Blues

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Beautiful!
    Midnight Blues

  9. #8
    With Monk and Buddy:



    Midnight Blues

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Huge thumbs up to this whole thread. It will be my reference to go mine some Wes.

    I think I look for the "slow" stuff first (with anybody), because I find it less intimidating! LOL (not being a real jazz player, altho I am a real jazz lover!)

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    I think I look for the "slow" stuff first (with anybody), because I find it less intimidating! LOL (not being a real jazz player, altho I am a real jazz lover!)
    Check out Dexter Gordon playing ballads, listening to him was how I learned to play slow stuff.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu


  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    Huge thumbs up to this whole thread. It will be my reference to go mine some Wes.

    I think I look for the "slow" stuff first (with anybody), because I find it less intimidating! LOL (not being a real jazz player, altho I am a real jazz lover!)
    Thanks ruger9! I have to give credit to @Jonah though for the idea though with his "Fast Wes" Thread.

    I'm torn because I love the slow stuff too, but I also like the "swinging/groovin'" and "blues" stuff to that's associated with Jazz. Depends on the mood I'm in I guess, but suffice it to say, I LOVE JAZZ!


    Last edited by Midnight Blues; 10-26-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    Midnight Blues

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    My favourite video of Wes:

    One of my favorites as well. That whole show (DVD) was GREAT!


    Midnight Blues

  15. #14
    Midnight Blues

  16. #15
    Another beautiful Wes chord melody:

    Midnight Blues

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues View Post
    Another beautiful Wes chord melody:

    This tune is "Mi Cosa"

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
    This tune is "Mi Cosa"
    Thanks for that Gabor! I'm sure it's out there somewhere by other artists, but I've never heard it by anyone else before?


    Midnight Blues

  19. #18

    User Info Menu


  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    This was one of the first Wes songs I heard - Leila


  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Check out Dexter Gordon playing ballads, listening to him was how I learned to play slow stuff.
    See especially: https://www.amazon.ca/Ballads-Dexter...r%2C222&sr=1-1

    Dexter Gordon: Ballads

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Check out Dexter Gordon playing ballads, listening to him was how I learned to play slow stuff.
    See especially: https://www.amazon.ca/Ballads-Dexter...r%2C222&sr=1-1

    Dexter Gordon: Ballads

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues View Post
    Thanks for that Gabor! I'm sure it's out there somewhere by other artists, but I've never heard it by anyone else before?
    I think it is a Wes Montgomery original. There are other Wes recordings of that around

  24. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    Nice!

    What tone!


    Thanks for the post and
    Midnight Blues

  25. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    This was one of the first Wes songs I heard - Leila

    Good one to include here AR! Too bad there isn't more music made like this today.


    Thanks for the post and
    Midnight Blues

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
    I think it is a Wes Montgomery original. There are other Wes recordings of that around
    That's what I always thought too. Now that you mention it, I have it on "Bumpin" too! The strings are a nice touch, but I much prefer solo Wes.

    Here's a live version:



    Can't vouch for it's accuracy, but...:

    http://www.classclef.com/pdf/Mi%20Co...Montgomery.pdf


    Thanks for the post and
    Midnight Blues

  27. #26


    Had to post this too because I love the way Diana Ross sang this for "Lady Sings The Blues":

    Midnight Blues