User Info Menu

I just heard this for the first time today. Great version of this song...interestingly, Miles and Dizzy BOTH play on this particular track, and Ella sings vocalese. And Joe Zawinul. No Jaco unfortunately...bass work is by Nathan East.

But what really got me was Benson's contribution. Just a really tasty contribution from him that seems a little out of his usual comfort zone.

This guy has played on literally hundreds of albums. There are probably many, many interesting cuts of his that I have never heard.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

To me it sounds like what Mr. Benson would typically do to such a track. Great playing btw. but the production is just ... well, 80s?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly View Post
    To me it sounds like what Mr. Benson would typically do to such a track. Great playing btw. but the production is just ... well, 80s?
    Yes that is true. The production makes it hard for me to like a lot of Quincy's stuff from that time period forward.

IDK, I have listened to a lot of Benson, but this just has a different sound to me. Lots of reverb for instance. A little bit of a Martino/Metheny staccato thing going on. Doesn't sound like his usual archtop--maybe he brought one of those pointy Ibanez guitars to the session?

Having seen the Quincy biomovie (highly recommended btw), I can only imagine the atmosphere at these sessions. Were Miles and Dizzy there on the same day? Did Benson and Zawinul and Miles have a drink and reminisce about the old days?

One thing you HAVE to say about Quincy--the music and musicians he has produced...incomparable. Who else has worked with so many giants, and gotten their respect and admiration? OK, Rudy van Gelder, Teo Macero, etc. But I still think Quincy has worked with more people than these guys.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.