Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hi forum friends,

I'm very exciting to be bringing Pasquale and Luigi Grasso to the UK for the first time this November.

Monday 18 November. Luigi and Pasquale Grasso Quartet.
    EFG LONDON JAZZ FEST & BOPFEST: Luigi & Pasquale Grasso Quartet - NYC special guests | London Live Music Reviews | DesignMyNight

Tuesday 19 November (afternoon). Masterclass with Pasquale Grasso.
    EFG LONDON JAZZ FEST & BOPFEST: PASQUALE GRASSO GUITAR MASTERCLASS | London Live Music Reviews | DesignMyNight

Tuesday 19 November (evening). Pasquale Grasso solo and trio.
    EFG LONDON JAZZ FEST & BOPFEST: PASQUALE GRASSO SOLO GUITAR & TRIO | London Live Music Reviews | DesignMyNight

Pasquale Grasso in London this November!-18-grasso-brothers-optimised-jpg

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A shameless bump as we head into November.

User Info Menu

Did anyone here attend the masterclass? I'm pretty upset I missed it - I had a look on his website a few weeks ago for show dates and there's no mention of the London performance or teaching dates.

I picked up all his new Music Masterclass videos the other day and really enjoying them.
    Last edited by 3amboo; 11-21-2019 at 09:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3amboo View Post
    Did anyone here attend the masterclass? I'm pretty upset I missed it - I had a look on his website a few weeks ago for show dates and there's no mention of the London performance or teaching dates.
    Hi Bamboo - By any chance did Pasquale and I meet you at the 606 Club last night?

Christian wrote a very insightful post after catching Tuesday night's show. You can read it here: Pasquale Grasso
    In time I'll contribute some of my own thoughts there.

For what it's worth, both Luigi and Pasquale's appearances on Monday and Tuesday were included in the London Jazz Festival programme and featured prominently in festival previews in London Jazz News, Medium, Forbes and advertised across social media.

Their visit has been a great success and we are already talking about ideas for 2020.
    Last edited by David B; 11-21-2019 at 09:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply. No I'm afraid it wasn't me last night - I've taken quite a long sabatical from all things jazz and guitar related and am just getting back into the "swing"...as it were so haven't been checking any of the publications you listed.

Little bit of back story...I studied at GIT in West London in early 2000, so am a victim of the chord scale atrocities
    Recently had the good fortune to stumble across the Barry Harris method and am trying to incorporate it but with a new baby guitar practice is limited to grabbing 10 minutes whenever and wherever I can find it. Was 40 about a month ago and my mum and wife clubbed together to get me the guitar I've always wanted...Gibson ES175...now I just need the time to play it.

I'm particularly thrilled to have stumbled upon Barry's teaching as in terms of single note soloing I would most like to sound like the Hard Bop trumpet wizard Lee Morgan and Barry is the last of the Sidewinders...if you catch my drift Just before finding Barry's method I was in the process of collecting Lee Morgan transcriptions and was going to try and analyse them to see if I could decode any rules that could be applied to my own line creation.

Is there anyone teaching Barry's stuff in London David?
    Last edited by 3amboo; 11-21-2019 at 10:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Their visit has been a great success and we are already talking about ideas for 2020.
    Hi David

I might mention this to the people who run the Watermill jazz club in Dorking - they might be interested in having them there, if they are going to be in London again. The gigs are usually on a Tuesday.

User Info Menu

Little bit of back story...I studied at GIT in West London in early 2000, so am a victim of the chord scale atrocities
    That’s totally going to be the name of my contemporary jazz project.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    That’s totally going to be the name of my contemporary jazz project.
    Which do you mean, ‘Git in West London’ or ‘Chord Scale Atrocities’?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Which do you mean, ‘Git in West London’ or ‘Chord Scale Atrocities’?
    Yes

User Info Menu

Is there anyone teaching Barry's stuff in London David?
    The man to go and see would be our own Christian Miller ( @christianm77 on this forum) - contact | mysite

Christian is in SE London. He has a great series of videos on YouTube on his 'Jazz Guitar Scrapbook' channel.

User Info Menu

Thanks David,

I've got a little bit of work to do on my own before having lessons but I will speak to Christian when the time comes.

I'm learning a lot on the single note stuff off the Barry Harris system, half step descending lines, 5,4,3,2, Barry's chromatic approach to diatonic scales, triads, arpeggios...pivoting etc

..but the comping side...I have Alan's book...I just am unable to grasp on my own. About the only thing I did get was the section on "Monk moves" but all it did was flesh out my playing of Blue Monk...no idea how to use this in any other context.
    Last edited by 3amboo; 11-26-2019 at 04:59 AM.