The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I really like ol' Frank Vignola. True Fire has a nice video in which he plays and is interviewed. It is not a short video.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is that the one from earlier this week?
    I caught most of that live. Great stuff.

He mentions a very good student of his, Jan Knutson, and I THINK that guy posts videos here sometimes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

He mentions a very good student of his, Jan Knutson, and I THINK that guy posts videos here sometimes
    You are correct, Mark.

It aired live and is still available as a recorded video on Youtube. I don't get to hang around advanced musicians such as Frank (except virtually here on this forum) so it is great to hear them speak and give their thoughts, which are sometimes pretty deep.

It got me looking around for more interviews by others. When I have the time, I really enjoy them.

They talked a lot about Tommy Emmanuel and how unbelievable his technique is as well as his indomitable personality. What a character.

Yes, it was a couple of days ago and I was watching it live. The ironic thing about it was that I had just purchased one of his newest courses, "Trading Solos: Jazz Blues Edition" earlier that day. Later, while I was online, I received a notification from TrueFire that he was live, so I tuned-in. It was FANTASTIC! He seems like a genuinely great guy and what a player!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Yes, it was a couple of days ago and I was watching it live. The ironic thing about it was that I had just purchased one of his newest courses, "Trading Solos: Jazz Blues Edition" earlier that day. Later, while I was online, I received a notification from TrueFire that he was live, so I tuned-in. It was FANTASTIC! He seems like a genuinely great guy and what a player!

What do you think of it?

I have it on my want list. He jammed along with a funky G blues from there on the TrueFire Q&A. I actually missed the first part and should probably go to YouTube to see it.
    Frank's a great teacher and a great player. (Few are both.)

User Info Menu

1:22:55 is good stuff, very accurate IMO (until about 1:25:00)

What do you think of it?

I have it on my want list. He jammed along with a funky G blues from there on the TrueFire Q&A. I actually missed the first part and should probably go to YouTube to see it.
    Frank's a great teacher and a great player. (Few are both.)
    I agree 100% Mark. I love his teaching style. I have several of his TrueFire DVDs/downloads and they're all excellent.

With regard to this one, I haven't had the opportunity to dive into it yet, but suffice it to type that from what I saw, i.e. the clip on TrueFire's website and what's posted on their YouTube channel, I was sold.

User Info Menu

Got around to watching it the other day - great stuff! I'm glad I signed up for his Jazz Studio. So much great material in there it's hard sometimes to keep track of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Frank teaches his version of "Tico Tico". I don't recall whether I got it from his website or his jazz channel (TrueFire). It's probably at both places. He plays it slow, medium, and up (IIRC). It's a fun piece to play and a good warm-up even if you never get to the tempo he's at in this video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Got around to watching it the other day - great stuff! I'm glad I signed up for his Jazz Studio. So much great material in there it's hard sometimes to keep track of it.
    He just released new material for October. I can't keep up with the amount of stuff he puts out. You can't beat this for $10 a month.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    I can't keep up with the amount of stuff he puts out. You can't beat this for $10 a month.

I'm not religious, but I must say, Amen to that!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    I'm not religious, but I must say, Amen to that!!!
    Right after reading this thread I went over to TrueFire, and Frank has 25 new lessons!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Right after reading this thread I went over to TrueFire, and Frank has 25 new lessons!!!
    O, geez! Fire up the printer....

I must admit I liked the earlier song lessons where he gave a play-along recording I could put on my iPhone. Very convenient.

Frank teaches his version of "Tico Tico". I don't recall whether I got it from his website or his jazz channel (TrueFire). It's probably at both places. He plays it slow, medium, and up (IIRC). It's a fun piece to play and a good warm-up even if you never get to the tempo he's at in this video.
    I'll settle for half that speed!