The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm looking for more examples of guitarist/vocalist who perform like John Pizzarelli or Matt Munisteri or legends like Marty Grosz or Slim Galliard. Actually, even if they are little more obscure than these guys or may not necessarily have the playing chops then I'm still interested. There's plenty of video clips of the above to enjoy and study from but I'm seeking some others who I may not have been mentioned on this forum.

A few I know who do both, but a bit unsung (pun...yes, kind of):

Rebecca Kilgore (Great voice! She can accompany herself but not enough video of her singing and playing imho.)
    John Reynolds (I love the humor in his style)
    Melissa Collard
    Nick Lucas
    Oscar Aleman
    Steve Jordan
    Andy Bean (The Two Man Gentleman Band)
    Vilray
    Mike McKoy
    Camila Meza (contemporary and original!)
    Diane Hubka

Please share any recent discoveries! Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kenny Rankin is my fave.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Kenny Rankin is my fave.
    Hey, I guess I should add George Benson to this list!

User Info Menu

Jackie King, Joao Gilberto, Baden Powell, Luis Bonfa, Kenny Burrell, Lennie Breau

User Info Menu

Tim Lerch.

User Info Menu

well, obviously Brian Setzer!

User Info Menu

A bit more unorthodox is Henri Salvador:

User Info Menu

Although not jazz, Nick Drake and Judee Sill were singer/songwriters/guitarists who you might find interesting.

User Info Menu

Dida Pelled

User Info Menu

Perry Beekman

User Info Menu

Sarah Munro is someone I've just heard for the first time. Want to hear more.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell:

She plays uke not guitar but Sarah Maisel has a nice sound.

Rosa Passos plays great Bossa Nova style:

Diane Hubka:

User Info Menu

in the slim g mode...saunders king

cheers

User Info Menu

Ukelele Ike
    Papa John Mills

I'll have to check out some more of Sarah Maisel. In my little quest on this topic I recently discovered Abigail Flowers who's got a lovely voice and can handle some nice chords on a baritone ukulele.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Kenny Burrell:

She plays uke not guitar but Sarah Maisel has a nice sound.

Rosa Passos plays great Bossa Nova style:

Diane Hubka:

I've seen this clip and I think Tim has a good voice and definitely can play some jazz guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Tim Lerch.

User Info Menu

One of my favorites for (gulp) 40 years!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    One of my favorites for (gulp) 40 years!

It don't get much better than that! Some of the guy's interpretations of tunes were so profound, I'd sit there for hours and transcribe just his subtle rendering of the melody. They'd be different for each chorus!

Wow! That Kenny Burrell is a pretty good singer! I think I heard that he did sing but I've never investigated it till was posted here. No doubt he is a legend on the instrument but I'm curious why just this one vocal album and why aren't there video clips of him crooning at least one tune behind his fantastic skills on guitar?

Maybe there are few more rare guitar/vocal tracks by Burrell but I suppose playing means more to him and his fans.

Thanks for posting this!

User Info Menu

Guiliano Ligabue he plays a 7 string.Tony Ferrari/Chase Eagleson/Jeremy Franz/

User Info Menu

Miché Fambro has long been one of my favorite guitarists (in addition to being a wonderful singer).

Miche - Round Midnight - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Really Really Nice!

User Info Menu

Currently out of Chicago, check out Guy King.

Tony Romano, check him out. Great swing era guitarist with that classic crooner voice. Check him playing with Joe Venuti on "never before never again". He sings on a few songs at the end of the album.

User Info Menu

Very nice guitar playing behind Kenny Rankin on his 1974 album Silver Morning, particularly on the tunes "Haven't We Met" (live version above) and "In the Name of Love."

I'm pretty sure the guitarist who played the solos on those tracks is Jim Nichols:

Last edited by jbernstein91; 10-15-2019 at 07:33 PM.