The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

I haven’t seen any mention of Ed Cherry here on the forum. Ed has been on the scene a long time. He came up in Dizzy’s band. I saw Ed in a duo setting with Peter Bernstein last April at The Bar Next Door. That was quite an experience! Here’s a sample of Ed’s tasteful, bluesy style:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's what I like about Cherry, his thoughtful and tasteful playing. He'a mature player in the positive sense of the word. He doesn't litter his solos or arrangements with lick or other useless filler. In other words, he's an artist.

User Info Menu

I've been a fan for a while. I first encountered Ed in a video recording of Dizzy's band performing a tune at a jazz fest in Florida. A highlight of the performance was a young Ed trading licks with George Benson, who was performing with the band.

The tune they played was "A Night in Tunisia". In a context where a young guitarist might have been intimidated, Ed was more than fearless, wielding a Super 400. He played his ass off! If you've never seen that video you should track it down.

I follow Ed on Facebook. He's quite a gifted storyteller as he chronicles his life and travels as a working musician. (Same with pianist Benny Green who shares a host of fascinating stories learning the ropes with legendary players such as Art Blakey, Betty Carter, Freddie Hubbard, etc.)

Albert
    Last edited by AKA; 09-14-2019 at 08:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Just heard Ed Cherry for the first time, playing with Hendrik Muerkins at Small's.

Ed is a masterful player. I particularly enjoyed his comping. Superb time feel and fit with an organ (which was pretty busy).

His comping reminds me of written out horn backgrounds. That's high praise.

User Info Menu

I first heard Cherry play when I was searching for cover's of Chitlin Con Carne. I've got three on my playlist by Kenny Burrell, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Ed Cherry (from his It's All Good LP). The three treatments are all so different and so great. Cherry's is downright greasy - it's my favorite of the three. It's like walking into a bar late at night in a strange town and feeling like maybe everybody in there is looking at you and thinking, what the heck are you doing here?

His cover of Sunflower (on the Soul Tree LP) is outstanding.

I watched his live performance streamed from Small's - it was a duo, and it definitely showed off the range of his skills as a player. But I think he really shines in an organ trio.

User Info Menu

Great player...and he's got chops too, and taste.

Everything he does has that blue tinge, which I notice is present in all of my favorite players.

User Info Menu

I LOVE Ed Cherry the guy is masterful!!! His shows in the Smalls archive are great and worth the subscription. I have his album with Ben Paterson - Live at Van Gelders on nearly every day.)

Will

User Info Menu

...wow

I was about to post this youtube video as a new thread, but as a routine I've searched before, and I was glad to discover Ed Cherry thread already exists.
    Shame on me I did not know Ed Cherry before. I only discovered him by accident when I made my regular longing visits at Elferink guitars web site, and clicked on players...

User Info Menu

When I was in highschool in the 80s I taped a concert on PBS that was of the Dizzy Gillispie Quintet playing at an outdoor jazz fest in New Jersey.
    On sax was Sam Rivers and Ed Cherry was on guitar.
    I watched that tape over and over again. I think it's now available as a DVD which you can probably find on the interwebs.

This is all I could find on the youtube:

Last edited by supersoul; 02-26-2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: grammar

User Info Menu

I absolutely LOVE Ed!! A super cat... he's THE NY Jazz Guitarist and he was Dizzy's guitarist from '78 until Dizzy passed, knows and has played with almost everybody in Jazz, and friends with everybody, Pat Martino (late), George Benson, Kenny Burrell... such a long list there, and has stories for years! He's the guitar players' Jazz guitar player, and plays like no other, the chops and tasteful playing of a living legend. Such a gorgeous feel and tone... Check out "Cristo Rendentor"

User Info Menu

In the past few months, Ed has done 1 or 2 gigs with Frank Vignola at Guitar Night at Birdland, and he joined the teaching staff at Frank's Big Jersey camp in August.

User Info Menu

Great player indeed!

Just a plug for a fellow Vancouver Islander who's working basically in the middle of nowhere: I believe that's a Wilkie he's playing in the clips.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Great player indeed!

Just a plug for a fellow Vancouver Islander who's working basically in the middle of nowhere: I believe that's a Wilkie he's playing in the clips.
    Oh yeah, Ed's been a long time Wilkie player and endorser... Wyatt just showed off his Ed Cherry model recently on his FB feed...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

One of my favorites. Those 2015 videos of his trio at the Bar Next Door are the bomb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevmoga
    One of my favorites. Those 2015 videos of his trio at the Bar Next Door are the bomb.
    Don't even know how many times I've replayed these. Such a great sound

User Info Menu

Yea... I loved that gig, beautiful playing and feels for cool tunes.

User Info Menu

Posted this in another thread but ed has the best groove around. Check out his solo (after the trumpet solo) on this funk blues.

User Info Menu

In 2022, Ed Cherry and Chris Flory did three gigs together at Mezzrow (guitar trio with bass). If you are Mezzrow subscriber you can find it in their archives. Ed and Chris play off each other so wonderfully. Two of my favorite players and some of my favorite bits of recorded music ever.

Here are the links. Like I said you need to have a mezzrow account to check them out but mezzrow subscription gives you access to the full archive (literally 100,000 or so recorded gigs), so it's well worth the donation.

Chris Flory, Ed Cherry & Lee Hudson - SmallsLIVE

Chris Flory , Ed Cherry & Lee Hudson - SmallsLIVE

Chris Flory, Ed Cherry & Paul Gill - SmallsLIVE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Posted this in another thread but ed has the best groove around. Check out his solo (after the trumpet solo) on this funk blues.

I'm actually the person that recorded this! lol glad you liked it man. My favorite thing about this video is how you get to see some of the depth in Ed's rhythm guitar skill. He gets at so many different colors and textures; like a mini rhythm guitar lesson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    I've been a fan for a while. I first encountered Ed in a video recording of Dizzy's band performing a tune at a jazz fest in Florida. A highlight of the performance was a young Ed trading licks with George Benson, who was performing with the band.

The tune they played was "A Night in Tunisia". In a context where a young guitarist might have been intimidated, Ed was more than fearless, wielding a Super 400. He played his ass off! If you've never seen that video you should track it down.

Albert
    Over 30 years ago I was listening to a jazz radio station, and they were broadcasting, live, the Monterey Jazz Festival here in California USA. I recorded this and one song really stood out: It was Dizzy's band playing A Night in Tunisia. The guitar solo was solid and full of energy, really pushing the envelope. I never found out who the guitar player was (but it wasn't anyone I was familiar with like Benson).

Man, I wonder if that was a young Ed Cherry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Over 30 years ago I was listening to a jazz radio station, and they were broadcasting, live, the Monterey Jazz Festival here in California USA. I recorded this and one song really stood out: It was Dizzy's band playing A Night in Tunisia. The guitar solo was solid and full of energy, really pushing the envelope. I never found out who the guitar player was (but it wasn't anyone I was familiar with like Benson).

Man, I wonder if that was a young Ed Cherry.
    most certainly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by montes707
    I'm actually the person that recorded this! lol glad you liked it man. My favorite thing about this video is how you get to see some of the depth in Ed's rhythm guitar skill. He gets at so many different colors and textures; like a mini rhythm guitar lesson.
    I get that this is a guitar forum and Ed is just great but don't forget Akiko. there's a reason Papa Lou Donaldson chose her as his organist, he had almost every major soul/jazz organist in his band at some point.
    I remember a time when a lot of Japanese jazz musicians were technically proficient but somewhat lacking in soul.
    that's a thing of the past for sure, they've been eating their chicken wings!

User Info Menu

Montes, thank you! You probably had to stand in an annoying line at smalls to get such a good seat so I appreciate you doing the lords work here. Great capture. Hopefully didn't piss off the band to much to have a cell phone out front row! lol

And yes +10000 to Akiko. I've seen here with so many of my favorite guitarists, always killing it. Saw her trio a few years ago at a Cajun restaurant in Tribeca with Flory on guitar (on his Strat!).

Man I gotta get back out to NY soon.