User Info Menu

Chick Corea's "Spain" is one of my all time favorites. Here are the 1975 Down Beat Poll Winners performing this classic:

Chick Corea - keys; Hubert Laws - flute; Bill Watrous - trombone; George Benson - guitar; Stanley Clarke - bass; Lenny White - drums; Introduced by Quincy Jones.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dug that, thanks. I remember 1975 quite well. This one is great too.

User Info Menu

One of my all time favorites too.
    You can't analyze something you can't play! (Robert Conti)

Technique is the means to play just like your voice is your means to speak. (Robert Conti)

User Info Menu

And just in case anyone has been living under a rock, Al Jarreau wrote brilliant lyrics to the tune in that I believe he captured the mood and rhythm so well with the lyrics, not easy I would think with such an involved melody... they sit in the song so well. I love singing along with his lyrics not that I'm much of a singer but it sure is fun.

B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

I had a real tough time memorizing the syncopated melody part to Spain--then I learned Jarreau's lyrics and it was easy. Really taught me something.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
    Chick Corea's "Spain" is one of my all time favorites.
    Oh yes.

Chick recorded it several times with meaningful distinctions. As much as I love the original RTF version (and Stan, and the "Light As A Feather" album, and that band), the Akoustic Trio developments are also wonderful:

"Don't worry about that. Everybody talks about finding your voice. Do your homework and your voice will find you." - Branford Marsalis

User Info Menu

The Jarreau performance is terrific! Over the years, I've taken several passes at learning the syncopated/clapping section and gone down in flames each time. Sigh.

More cool versions ....

User Info Menu

Had this LP years ago, love it. Rhythm kicks in around 1:30.