The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Chick Corea's "Spain" is one of my all time favorites. Here are the 1975 Down Beat Poll Winners performing this classic:

Chick Corea - keys; Hubert Laws - flute; Bill Watrous - trombone; George Benson - guitar; Stanley Clarke - bass; Lenny White - drums; Introduced by Quincy Jones.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dug that, thanks. I remember 1975 quite well. This one is great too.

User Info Menu

One of my all time favorites too.

User Info Menu

And just in case anyone has been living under a rock, Al Jarreau wrote brilliant lyrics to the tune in that I believe he captured the mood and rhythm so well with the lyrics, not easy I would think with such an involved melody... they sit in the song so well. I love singing along with his lyrics not that I'm much of a singer but it sure is fun.

User Info Menu

I had a real tough time memorizing the syncopated melody part to Spain--then I learned Jarreau's lyrics and it was easy. Really taught me something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Chick Corea's "Spain" is one of my all time favorites.
    Oh yes.

Chick recorded it several times with meaningful distinctions. As much as I love the original RTF version (and Stan, and the "Light As A Feather" album, and that band), the Akoustic Trio developments are also wonderful:

User Info Menu

The Jarreau performance is terrific! Over the years, I've taken several passes at learning the syncopated/clapping section and gone down in flames each time. Sigh.

More cool versions ....

User Info Menu

Had this LP years ago, love it. Rhythm kicks in around 1:30.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    The Jarreau performance is terrific! Over the years, I've taken several passes at learning the syncopated/clapping section and gone down in flames each time. Sigh.

More cool versions ....

Just listened to that. Stevie's solo is amazing.

User Info Menu

These algorithms are something. An hour or so after I read this, I get this recommendation. Tom Quale does something a little different with his version of Spain.
    It's worth a watch.

PS: Keep tackling the hand clapping part of the song. With all due respect to the melody, it's probably the best section of the song with that syncopated rhythm.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=West LA Jazz;1072037]These algorithms are something. An hour or so after I read this, I get this recommendation. Tom Quale does something a little different with his version of Spain.
    It's worth a watch. /QUOTE]

Quale is Australian and works mostly on the Europe and Asia side ..Govan also tours (or did) mostly on that side of the pond ..both have influenced my playing alot.

this is a very good study in this style of playing..you can slow down the speed of the vid

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=wolflen;1072282]
    Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    These algorithms are something. An hour or so after I read this, I get this recommendation. Tom Quale does something a little different with his version of Spain.
    It's worth a watch. /QUOTE]

Quale is Australian and works mostly on the Europe and Asia side ..Govan also tours (or did) mostly on that side of the pond ..both have influenced my playing alot.

this is a very good study in this style of playing..you can slow down the speed of the vid
    I like both Govan and Quale. Govan tours like crazy but I didn't realize Quale worked across Europe. Makes sense though. Quale's technique is nice. A hybrid of using the pick and the three remaining fingers whereas Mateo Mancuso is essentially using five fingers ala classical guitar on the electric guitar. I've noticed that Mancuso increasingly uses a damper to control the sympathetic ringing of the strings while he plays.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    Quale is Australian .....
    I don't like to nit-pick, but the guy in the video is Tom Quayle (not Quale) - he was born in Bristol, England and studied in Leeds, England, where he is still based. His bio doesn't mention Oz and he doesn't have an Aussie accent, so not sure where the Australian thing comes in, unless I missed part of his bio.

User Info Menu

Australian??? Lol.

User Info Menu

Mind you it’s a common mix up with Americans. Some people seem to think John Oliver is Aussie.

I put it mostly down to Americans not giving a shit haha.

But no I can see the similarities of accent and humour that could be easily confused by someone from a relatively alien culture like the US.

User Info Menu

I do love it in American shows when a character is introduced as being from somewhere Americans may of heard of like Liverpool while sporting a strong London accent or something. (Liverpudlians have a very distinctive regional accent.)

TBF I don’t know how well we’d do with US regional accents.

Or when the majority of American actors attempt a Brit accent. (I’m the reverse can be just as bad for Americans, although the dominance of US culture I think helps with for Brits I think. It’s like learning music...)

User Info Menu

watched all of these - Spain'd out...

Saw Corea last year with the Spanish Heart Band, Nino De Los Reyes danced the hell out of it...can't find a video of that so here's this...Warning no Corea content.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Just listened to that. Stevie's solo is amazing.
    Love Stevie. I once had a band called Stevie and The Wonders Chick Corea - Spain

BTW did you notice that all of the soloists went into some speed licks at the beginning of the second chorus, except for the female keyboard player? Discuss at length at the Eric Gale thread Chick Corea - Spain

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk