Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

I am trying to find info about the jazz guitarist Sam Herman. I know he was a sideman in some big bands like BR, TJ/ML, etc, but I cannot find much else. In particular, I am wondering if there are any recordings where he is featured, or solos.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    I am trying to find info about the jazz guitarist Sam Herman. I know he was a sideman in some big bands like BR, TJ/ML, etc, but I cannot find much else. In particular, I am wondering if there are any recordings where he is featured, or solos.
    ps - I did find this:

Sam Herman | Biography & History | AllMusic

User Info Menu

I remember reading that he was a copyist back in the days when NYC had a thriving studio scene.
    According to George Duvivier, one of the busiest studio bass players in NYC, things started to come apart when guys got greedy, and started booking as many sessions as possible in a day, even when they couldn't make it to a session on time.
    Reportedly, it got even worse in the 70s, when there was still a lot of work around, and the top studio guys kept overbooking themselves to feed their coke habit. After they destroyed the studio scene, they all got college teaching gigs.
    One guy was offered to join the New York Philharmonic while the NYC studio scene was still very busy in the early 70s, and he told them, "Are you kidding me? I make more in a week than you guys make the whole year"!
    This stuff happened after Sam Herman's time, so I don't mean to link him with it. He was one of the good guys.