User Info Menu

Probably the most versatile guitarist ever in terms of the authority of his playing across genres. Have heard of this CD but hadn't heard this before. Good stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I knew DG could play jazz, but I didn't know he could hang with guys like Watson and the others.
    I liked most of it, but sometimes he used the bridge pickup, or combinations of bridge and neck pickups (like the Night and day contrafact), and it didn't fit in with the rest of what was going on.
    I don't know why he did that.
    Otherwise, I enjoyed his playing more than some of the more well known guitarists posted here.
    Does he have any other albums that he plays straight-ahead like this?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    I knew DG could play jazz, but I didn't know he could hang with guys like Watson and the others....
    Does he have any other albums that he plays straight-ahead like this?
    Thanks!
    Check out the album he did with organist Joey DeFrancesco, 'Relentless'. That's my favourite Danny Gatton recording.

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

DG great as usual here, but wow, that was some hot organ playing!

That's always been my favorite Gatton record too. Joey is phenomenal and it's cool to hear the Tele tone in that context. Throwing in Rockabilly licks sometimes works surprisingly well in this context but sometimes it's like shoving a square peg into a round hole.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    I knew DG could play jazz, but I didn't know he could hang with guys like Watson and the others.
    I liked most of it, but sometimes he used the bridge pickup, or combinations of bridge and neck pickups (like the Night and day contrafact), and it didn't fit in with the rest of what was going on.
    I don't know why he did that.
    Thanks!
    He was becoming deaf, and almost lost the high frequencies.

+1 for Relentless

User Info Menu

Met him when he played a hot rod show in Tampa once - nice guy. I enjoyed the above clips way more than his country/rockabilly stuff as it just seemed overplayed and 'untasteful' to me. Even the album he did with Buddy Emmons who is my pedal steel hero, was not very enjoyable to me. It's like everybody was trying to show off and play as many notes as they could...............not my cuppa tea. When taste is sacrificed for virtuosity, I'm outa here.

User Info Menu

When I saw DG live in New Haven, CT I could not believe how trebly his tone was. I play a Tele and almost always have the tone rolled way down. He sounded like it was completely open. Great playing but ear fatiguing after a bit. Roy Buchanan was the same way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
    When I saw DG live in New Haven, CT I could not believe how trebly his tone was. I play a Tele and almost always have the tone rolled way down. He sounded like it was completely open. Great playing but ear fatiguing after a bit. Roy Buchanan was the same way.
    Thus the deafness, unfortunately.