The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Mosaic is planning to release a multi disc (maybe six or seven) collection of live performances by Paul Desmond and his Canadian Quartet in Toronto.
    The quartet consisted of Bickert, the great Don Thompson (who used to record most of his gigs with pro level recording equipment), and either Jerry
    Fuller or Terry Clarke on drums. One gig has Rob McConnel (Valve trombone) sitting in for Bickert (because he had to go to his father's funeral), so it's like the piano-less quartets of Mulligan in the 50s
    I also found this appearance of the group on a Canadian TV show, and has a short interview with Desmond They play their version of Take 5, where they go into the Parallel Major key for the solos, and come up with a Middle Eastern sound on it. They also play Wendy and Just Squeeze Me.
    Paul Desmond Take 30 - YouTube

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That Mosaic set sounds interesting. Where did you hear about that? I can't find any mention of it on their website.

User Info Menu

Well Merry Christmas to ME!

Quote Originally Posted by BMoore
    That Mosaic set sounds interesting. Where did you hear about that? I can't find any mention of it on their website.
    Michael Cuscuna mentioned it:
    http://www.mosaicrecords.com

Top paragraph. One thing that's interesting about Ed's Tele on the TV show is that he still has the original single coil pickup on it, so it's before he switched it out for the humbucker.

User Info Menu

"New" Ed. Wow. "Take Five" was great in particular!

I like Ed's sound just an eensy bit better with the single coil neck pickup, but that's like saying I like Caol Ila an eensy bit better than Lagavullin. Both are superb.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 09-04-2019 at 01:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Michael Cuscuna mentioned it:
    http://www.mosaicrecords.com

Top paragraph. One thing that's interesting about Ed's Tele on the TV show is that he still has the original single coil pickup on it, so it's before he switched it out for the humbucker.
    Lorne Lofesky, another Canadian who played single coil pickups played an Ibanez Strat then a Fender Strat. Amongst others, he played with Oscar Peterson.

User Info Menu

thanks for posting that sgcim, I had seen the interview before but not the performances.
    man, what a treat.
    gotta admit that some of the Brubeck records w/Dave banging away kind of wore on me after awhile, but I always loved Paul, he always swung.
    it was cool hearing him w/Ed instead of Jim Hall on the live lps, though they're sort of rooted in the same school of playing [whatever that is].

At the end Paul got a rise out of Ed @ 6:00, and then Paul was amused by their little tag @ the end.
    I love Paul to death and Ed is just too good to be true, swings so hard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Lorne Lofesky, another Canadian who played single coil pickups played an Ibanez Strat then a Fender Strat. Amongst others, he played with Oscar Peterson.
    Lorne (Lofsky) still performs with his Ibanez. He is seen playing a borrowed Fender Strat on an instructional video produced in the US because, he told me, he didn’t want the hassle of taking his guitar across the border. I saw his trio perform an informal tribute to Ed Bickert a couple of weeks ago, still going strong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Lorne (Lofsky) still performs with his Ibanez. He is seen playing a borrowed Fender Strat on an instructional video produced in the US because, he told me, he didn’t want the hassle of taking his guitar across the border. I saw his trio perform an informal tribute to Ed Bickert a couple of weeks ago, still going strong.

Good to hear. Unfortunately LL doesn't get out to Vancouver very much!

Wish he would do some more recording.

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Lorne’s Ibanez sports rail style humbuckers on it. I believe it’s a Roadstar.

Good News for Bickert/Desmond Lovers-31ffdd05-d2dd-4c52-87d6-0dfca73acd3c-jpg
    Last edited by GodinFan; 09-04-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Add pic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    I saw him playing this Roadstar last year...
    Good News for Bickert/Desmond Lovers-lorne_lofsky_oscar_peterson-jpg

Here's another Bickert treat, playing a 175 on a great arrangement of a nice tune:
    Ed Bickert On Second Thought - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan
    Lorne’s Ibanez sports rail style humbuckers on it. I believe it’s a Roadstar.

Good News for Bickert/Desmond Lovers-31ffdd05-d2dd-4c52-87d6-0dfca73acd3c-jpg
    We posted at about the same time.
    Yes, the pickups had been changed to the humbuckers as seen in your pic.

User Info Menu

Does anybody know how to find the full version of this Ed Bickert performance?

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for posting this sublime Desmond/Bickert pairing. The interview with Desmond is fascinating and amusing - from the naivete of the interviewer and how flummoxed Paul is to be interviewed by this beautiful woman. Musically, he's slightly off his game as there's a bit of nervousness to his normally gorgeous round tone. Bickert paints musical colors like nobody before or since. His playing doesn't necessarily have the intellectual depth and dynamic range of Jim Hall's playing or the compositional arch but Ed's voice-led chordal playing is so natural, rich and amazing. For my money, its one of the most beautiful styles in the entire history of jazz guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Thanks so much for posting this sublime Desmond/Bickert pairing. The interview with Desmond is fascinating and amusing - from the naivete of the interviewer and how flummoxed Paul is to be interviewed by this beautiful woman. Musically, he's slightly off his game as there's a bit of nervousness to his normally gorgeous round tone. Bickert paints musical colors like nobody before or since. His playing doesn't necessarily have the intellectual depth and dynamic range of Jim Hall's playing or the compositional arch but Ed's voice-led chordal playing is so natural, rich and amazing. For my money, its one of the most beautiful styles in the entire history of jazz guitar.
    Desmond had more experience with beautiful women than this entire board! He just went from one to the next...

User Info Menu

Trivia: the male host there on Take Thirty (which really was the name of the show -- they didn't concoct it for Desmond) is Paul Soles, who did the voices of the misfit elf (Hermy?) on Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Spider-man on the original TV cartoon series.

Latest word from Don Thompson is there are going to be 37 previously unreleased Desmond cuts on the Mosaic album. Fourteen of the 51 total tracks are going to be previously released material on A&M.

User Info Menu

Great news!

Does anybody know what humbuckers Loren has in his Ibanez strat?

User Info Menu

Thread drift alert: Lorne Lofsky playing a solo gig:

User Info Menu

This is such fantastic news, and Michael Cuscuna and Mosaic are the ones to do it. Because he chose not to tour as much as others, Ed Bickert is not as well known as the household names in the "Pantheon" of jazz guitar. Even worse, he often time gets the moniker "a guitar player's guitar player."

Ed Bickert and Jim Hall had a great friendship. When Jim's wife, Jane, wanted to surprise Jim with a vocal album, she went to Toronto to record it with Bickert and Don Thompson. Here's a nice interview with Jane Hall where she tells the story: Jazz news: Jane Hall: Song in My Heart

User Info Menu

Latest word from Don Thompson is there are going to be 37 previously unreleased Desmond cuts on the Mosaic album. Fourteen of the 51 total tracks are going to be previously released material on A&M.
    Thanks again for the update man, 2/3 worth unissued? I'm in on this one

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Thanks again for the update man, 2/3 worth unissued? I'm in on this one
    For an eagles fan, you got pretty good taste.

User Info Menu

For an eagles fan, you got pretty good taste.
    Correct, now how do you know that? Guess I must've posted it somewhere along the way.

[QUOTE=wintermoon;977487]Correct, now how do you know that? Guess I must've posted it somewhere along the way.
    [
    /QUOTE]

I'm a Giants fan. We keep a record of each eagles fan...