The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Not sure why, but Steve Masakowski doesn't get much attention here.

Here's a nice, recent video:

and another:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does Steve still live in New Orleans? He was a mainstay of the scene when I lived there. Taught at the University of New Orleans. (May still, for all I know.)

Great player, and versatile. Has made great music in a variety of settings.

Glad you posted this. I hadn't heard him in a while.

User Info Menu

Yep, he's still down there (according to his web site!).

User Info Menu

never heard of this guy great player. i like the on the first video the run he does at 56 sec.

User Info Menu

His daughter Sasha deserved to be mentioned too. She's talented singer and actually getting pretty popular. I met her in NYC. Great singer in trad jazz and far beyond.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    His daughter Sasha deserved to be mentioned too. She's talented singer and actually getting pretty popular. I met her in NYC. Great singer in trad jazz and far beyond.
    Yes, their "Nova, NOLA" album is excellent!

If you like "modern jazz meets 'Nawlins," check out his albums with "Astral Project!"

Wow nice to see new names I haven’t heard. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this. I always make it a point to catch Astral Project's set at Jazzfest whenever I attend - those guys are all monster players. In addition to daughter Sasha, be sure to check out his son, bassist Martin Masakowski. Sometimes they all appear as the Masakowski family, though I've yet to be lucky enough to catch one of those shows.

User Info Menu

Johnny Vidacovich (drums) is another NOLA heavyweight, one of those guys who seems to play with everyone.

Here's a bit of Johnny with George Porter, Jr (Meters, etc) and Sonny Landreth, the great slide player.

This was recorded at the Maple Leaf, a great local bar. It was close by when I lived at the seminary on S. Carrollton. Not as close by as the Rock'n'Bowl, but still walking distance (!)

User Info Menu

Funny, of course: Steve's been on the scene for a long time! There's always someone "in need of better recognition" out there, I guess ..

User Info Menu

Here's another recent one (I'm not a fan of the "wah" effect he's using, but his lines are funky and groovin'!):