User Info Menu

Hard to believe that today marks the 29th anniversary of the loss of Stevie Ray Vaughan. I skipped his Kalamazoo concert two days earlier figuring I’d catch him next time.

That man could play.
    Check out my tracks at www.soundcloud.com/billmcmannis

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Montreaux, 1985

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

He had a great sense of timing, great singing voice for the blues, and a tone to die for.

His tone is the opposite of what we generally go for in jazz, but boy did he own it.

His version of Chitlins Con Carne shows what he could do in a somewhat more complicated context than the blues, and it's sad he wasn't able to stick around to play other types of music or collaborate with others outside the blues-rock arena.

“Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

I think "Stang's Swang" is a nice jazzy blues head.

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Dateline: August 1983, Berkeley California.

So my old buddy Jon, who sold me my '58 ES-225, was a really good blues/rock player. Had a hot little band in the SF Bay area way back when. Let me play his sunburst '57 Strat through his Super Reverb once or twice. (I will never forget those tones, that feel.)

One afternoon he says, "You have GOT to come down to the Keystone with me tonight and check this guy out."

We stood three rows from the stage. And I saw this. I could have taken this photo. I was probably leaning on the photog's back. I was totally unprepared...it was like bomb out of the blue.

Oddly, the tune I remember most from that night is "Lenny."

Show of a lifetime.

Thanks for the reminder, Alder Statesman.

RIP, SRV.

29 Years. RIP SRV-2aa77634c000195615f299431a0b6681-jpg

User Info Menu

Saw Stevie and BB play together at the Playboy Jazz Fest - fun show!

Only got to be 35 years old, what a pity...

User Info Menu

I saw him at the Olympia in Paris in the late 80's
    I didn't realize it was so long ago.
    Make a jazz noise here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman View Post
    I skipped his Kalamazoo concert two days earlier figuring I’d catch him next time.
    I skipped going to that last show.

A friend called me, told me he could get a couple $10 tickets for the show. But it was a 5 hour drive, and we would've got there about show time, and then leaving afterwards, home at 4-5 am. Easy to say now it would've been worth it, but...