The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 109 of 109

User Info Menu

If i'm reading the Heritage web site correctly, they're not making 575's right now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is one of the greatest music videos I saw in my entire life, thank you ..!

User Info Menu

I've been listening to some of those recordings as individual tune videos for years, didn't actually know of this DVD of the entire concert. Thanks for posting. This is perhaps my favorite Joe Pass, not just him but the band is excellent and it's a great recording. The tone of that acoustic bass, wow, and the player sure knows how to listen. Same for the drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    The tone of that acoustic bass, wow, and the player sure knows how to listen.
    Bob Magnusson worked with many of the best. (I have a video of him with Herb Ellis that I love.)
    Here is a bit more about him, in his own words. Seriously, this guy got around!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Bob Magnusson worked with many of the best. (I have a video of him with Herb Ellis that I love.)

And yet even he seemed momentarily thrown by "That's Earl, Brother." It's fun to really listen to his comments when Joe hands him the chart and says it's a Dizzy Gillespie tune, used to have an intro but he forgot it, etc.

Joe could really call obscure but delightful tunes.

User Info Menu

Another JP freebee thanks to youtube (another out of print dvd):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Another JP freebee thanks to youtube (another out of print dvd):
    That opening blues is transcribed in the book/CD Joe Pass: On Guitar. (Includes performances of ATTYA and Stella, IIRC). It's a good look at how Joe thought and played. Lots of examples.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    The way I understand it he has retired from playing now due to osteo arthritis. For all I know he might still be surfing though! I was so lucky to be able to hire Bob Magnusson for studio stuff (including jazz!) a couple times. He has always been the greatest player with the greatest sound IMO, and is a nice, unassuming gentleman with plenty of fun stories to tell indeed!

User Info Menu

This is worth a watch too - useful takeaway I got was to refrain from putting motor oil on your fretboard....

Watch A Not So Average Joe | Prime Video