The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 109

User Info Menu

It's also interesting that his break down of how he simplifies tunes is very similar to Barry Harris's approach.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I didn't know he knew he was dying at that point. That makes it even more fascinating to watch.
    Yes he died in May 1994, and 1994 is the copyright date on the DVD set! He was on a plateau and about to really come crashing down shortly after that performance.

User Info Menu

Wow. Just wonderful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Wow. Just wonderful!
    I love his rh and lh technique. Just clean and economical. Never seems to have to stretch or reach for a note, always seems already to be where he needs to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I love his rh and lh technique. Just clean and economical. Never seems to have to stretch or reach for a note, always seems already to be where he needs to be.

yeah, I can remember buying his VHS video back in the day. It was full of his humor too, he'd start to show you something and next thing you know he'd be off in Joe-land improvising, then he'd catch himself and apologize, iirc. But I remember him saying something along the lines of keep it simple, you don't need to play hard stretches, super fast runs, etc to be convincing. He said something like, "I don't like to play anything too hard" …. I think that's someone's tagline on this forum.

User Info Menu

I've watched this video a few times over the years. One thing that stuck with me is Joe's talk about how he and Oscar Peterson had the same harmonic sense that came from the music they heard growing up. I think he also mentions how influential the Nat Cole Trio was.

User Info Menu

I think this is the video where as he leaves the venue he walks through a group of fans - 'Aah, guitarists - I like guitarists...remember what I said guys, play tunes, always play tunes, that's how you get the girls...'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I think this is the video where as he leaves the venue he walks through a group of fans - 'Aah, guitarists - I like guitarists...remember what I said guys, play tunes, always play tunes, that's how you get the girls...'
    Right. The actual quote is something like "you never get the girls by playing scales" IIRC

User Info Menu

... "you never get the girls by playing scales" IIRC
    Hmmm. Food for thought.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 09-08-2019 at 06:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    yeah, I can remember buying his VHS video back in the day. It was full of his humor too, he'd start to show you something and next thing you know he'd be off in Joe-land improvising, then he'd catch himself and apologize, iirc. But I remember him saying something along the lines of keep it simple, you don't need to play hard stretches, super fast runs, etc to be convincing. He said something like, "I don't like to play anything too hard" …. I think that's someone's tagline on this forum.
    Watching Joe Pass I notice: he does not prop his hand when he uses the pick but has a very strong common-sense alternating approach. Sometimes it's easier not to alternate, so he doesn't. Holds the pick in the very traditional grip, fingers together, mainly wrist. Economy of movement. FIngerstyle, again, no propping. Not quite classical positioning, but definitely not the usual finger style positions we see in country, bluegrass, folks, or other modern finger style playing. Seems to be mainly free strokes, again great economy of movement.

Left hand thumb is always placed text-book correctly for modern non-classical style, maybe even for classical. No hooking over the neck, for example (not that it's wrong, he just never seems to do it). Always seems to be playing notes easily in the 5-6 fret zone where his hand is. Shifts position rather than stretching or reaching (typically that is, of course, exceptions exist). Seems always to know the notes right under his fingers, knows his chord shapes but doesn't really seem to be stuck on them. They are references not boundaries. Very, very strong hammer/slur technique that almost sounds like picking.

All this impresses me somehow. I love watching Joe play almost as much as I love listening. He really makes it look like the guitar is an extension of himself. No gyrating, grimacing (okay, not much grimacing), doesn't seem in pain, no "what's that smell" expression. No "I practiced hours every day in hard-core dedication to be able to do this" vibe. Hard to see any real technical limit to his ability to express his ideas on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing! Amazing video! "Don't ask about modes". Made my day! ... maybe my life!

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Will have to give this my full attention when I have a chance.

I like what he says at the 13:30 mark..."I don't like to rehearse." With Oscar Peterson he only rehearsed TWICE...

Man, that says a lot about the talent of those guys.

He has also been quoted as saying he doesn't like to practice...he would start out playing some scales and songs, and then pick up the paper and sit on the couch and read. The article actually referred to him as a couch potato. Wish I could find his couch...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    He has also been quoted as saying he doesn't like to practice...he would start out playing some scales and songs, and then pick up the paper and sit on the couch and read. The article actually referred to him as a couch potato. Wish I could find his couch...
    He said more than once he'd done enough practising as a kid....

User Info Menu

Does anyone happen to know why Gibson never put that guitar into production as their "Joe Pass" model?? I just love it. Can't believe it wouldn't be a big seller. Even in today's market.
    Last edited by Bob P.; 08-29-2019 at 10:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, that right hand technique is something else. Have you ever seen anyone else with that kind of a picking style? I don't think I have. He balls up his hand into a fist-like posture and his upstrokes are as strong and clear as his downstrokes. Truly something to emulate, if one can.

I wish Troy Grady had been around to film his technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bob P.
    Does anyone happen to why Gibson never put that guitar into production as their "Joe Pass" model?? I just love it. Can't believe it wouldn't be a big seller. Even in today's market.
    Yeah that's a shame. But I guess it's specs is pretty much Sadowsky Jim Hall. Narrower depth ES 175 with the neck pickup moved up near the neck.

User Info Menu

Yeah that's a shame. But I guess it's specs is pretty much Sadowsky Jim Hall. Narrower depth ES 175 with the neck pickup moved up near the neck.
    If only Heritage made something like that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    If only Heritage made something like that
    True, but I thought 575 was carved, not laminate no?

User Info Menu

I am not sure of this and I'm not about to go look, but I think I recall that there was an issue of Just Jazz Guitar in which Joe Pass was playing in Europe, maybe Germany, and had occasion to use a Heritage Sweet 16. It was just after that when Gibson made him a (relatively) thin ES175 with the pickup near the neck.

So this, at the moment, is unsubstantiated recollection; take it for what it's worth.

User Info Menu

Never heard Joe scat-singing before! (1:03:30). Interesting that he espouses the ‘You should be able to sing/hear what you play’ approach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Never heard Joe scat-singing before! (1:03:30). Interesting that he espouses the ‘You should be able to sing/hear what you play’ approach.
    Martin Taylor* tells of running into Joe in a bookshop in Australia & being invited to stop by JP's workshop at the local Music School the next day.

Joe stopped a student mid solo & asked him to sing the phrase he'd just played, when he couldn't - & couldn't play it again either, let alone play the line up and down the neck he was politely asked if he was playing the guitar or was the guitar playing him. He makes a similar point during the Q&A at the end of this video.

*My introduction to MT was hearing him supporting JP at the Union Chapel in London years ago - they played some duets at the end which I'm listening to with my coffee as I type...way to start the day.

User Info Menu

I think JP's custom ES 175 had a thin neck (not narrow). His original ES 175 was one of those early 60's (62-64 I think) very thin profile models. Unlike most people he liked it. I also find thin necks comfortable and fast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Herb Ellis said in his instructional DVD that Joe Pass did that. Oscar Peterson does it audibly on many of his records. Herb said Wes did it too. In fact, he (Herb) said every jazz guitarist that he knew (and liked) did it. He also said horn players do it but you can't tell because they have a horn in their mouths.

User Info Menu

Joe Pass was amazing, no doubt about it! He's also one of my biggest regrets as well, as I regret I never saw him in person!! Funny story I have about different guitar players. I was playing with a rock guitarist once and I didn't even bring up the subject of Joe Pass, he did. He told me he hated Joe Pass and he hated when people would applaud him after his solos! I thought it was strange but then when I thought about it afterwards, I chalked it up to him not understanding jazz and being a closed minded fool. Strange mofo's out there, needless to say that was the first and only time I played guitars with the guy.

User Info Menu

True, but I thought 575 was carved, not laminate no?
    It is, but it's a thick top, honestly it's stiffer and more feedback resistant than most 175's!