Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

A friend just hipped me to this new release of a 1966 live recording of Jim Hall at Ronnie Scott's in London. With Jeff Clyne and Allan Ganley.

It's released by Harkit Records and is on iTunes, Spotify and all the usual sources. It's a lo-fi recording (I assume a fan bootleg) but a very special performance from Jim and the trio, capturing him between the era of his collaborations with Rollin/Farmer/Desmond earlier in the decade and his emergence as a bandleader in the years ahead. Edit: The recording runs a little fast and therefore sounds sharp, but still a worthy listen for Jim Hall fans!

Jim Hall - Live in London-1561037985_610lxebbmul-jpg

Last edited by David B; 08-22-2019 at 05:19 AM.

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jim is absolutely cooking on all the things you are, really at the top of his game here. this is a great !
    [edit] after listening to the whole tune It dawned on me that the track is running a little less than a half step sharp which may account for the slightly hyper performance. still sounds great though!

thanks
    Tim

User Info Menu

Wow, never heard of this. While live I like the tone. It isn't as muted as his later recordings.

Also check out those Max Jones comments about the guitarist. Yea, jazz guitarist have always been somewhat in the shadows when it comes to jazz.

User Info Menu

Holy crap! I hadn't heard of this until now. Thanks for the heads up!!!

User Info Menu

Fantastic recordings! It’s interesting to hear Hall’s playing in bebop tempos, especially like he does on ”All The Things You Are”.
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

-Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch View Post
    after listening to the whole tune It dawned on me that the track is running a little less than a half step sharp which may account for the slightly hyper performance. still sounds great though!
    Yes, it sounds like the whole set runs a little fast/sharp so is in between keys.

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Yes, it sounds like the whole set runs a little fast/sharp so is in between keys.
    And that’s the great thing with old recordings. It’s a natural product made from organic music.
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

-Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

User Info Menu

Jim is really at the height of his powers here for technique, but more importantly, for the ideas and compositional nature of his improvisation. Thanks for the heads up!

User Info Menu

That was the difference between Raney and Hall; Raney could sound like that without the tape being sped up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch View Post
    Jim is absolutely cooking on all the things you are, really at the top of his game here. this is a great !
    [edit] after listening to the whole tune It dawned on me that the track is running a little less than a half step sharp which may account for the slightly hyper performance. still sounds great though!

thanks
    Tim
    By the way, a semitone sharp translates to about 5.9% speedup.

A semitone flat translates to -5.6% slowdown.

And of course, doubling the speed raises everything by an octave and half-speed lowers by an octave. Jim Hall - Live in London