The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

I don't want this to sound superficial, because it really isn't meant to be, but it's amazing how many songwriters or artists from the era she had relationships with: a partial list is Leonard Cohen, David Crosby, Graham Nash, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, John Guerin, Sam Shepard, Jaco Pastorius, Don Alias and Larry Klein. It's like a who's who of Laurel Canyon. And she wrote songs about most of them, some of which are brilliant.

I also remember an interesting article from many years ago which talked about how she wasn't conventionally attractive, but she made herself into a beautiful person who seduced an entire generation.

Now of course how someone looks or who they sleep with may be irrelevant in many situations, but this is rock and folk music we're talking about, after all. We all know that Mick Jagger and Bob Dylan and David Bowie did the exact same thing. And Picasso and Frank Sinatra and so many others.

Anyway, like a great artist she turned her volcanic personal life into art, which is really the most one can ask of an artist.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 08-15-2019 at 02:11 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I thought she was really cute lol.

I was knocked out by her writing and Guitar Playing...not her looks .

All that other stuff is only trivia to me ..nobody mentions how many people Jackson Browne slept with or James Taylor ...or do they ..who cares or me between 16 and 19 ...lol.
    The important thing about Taylor and Cat Stevens ( and Alun Davies - his Guitar sidekick )to me is they influenced me to play almost exclusively acoustic for about 6 years....

I play the electric often like an Acoustic -since I am writing and creating harmonic rhythms - it resembles Solo Guitar sometimes.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 08-16-2019 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    I thought she was really cute lol.

All that other stuff is only trivia to me ..nobody mentions how many people Jackson Browne slept with or James Taylor ...or do they ..who cares
    The important thing about Taylor and Cat Stevens ( and Alun Davies - his Guitar sidekick )to me is they influenced me to play almost exclusively acoustic for about 6 years....
    Well I'm not gonna lie, you say "hippie chick" to me, and my heart starts palpitating. Out of the women of her era I probably had the biggest crush on her, maybe second to Grace Slick. Both a little older than me LOL.

The only reason it's relevant is that she wrote some GREAT songs about her relationships, like River about Graham Nash and a couple of songs about Leonard Cohen:

I met you on a midway at a fair last year
    And you stood out like a ruby in a black man’s ear
    You were playing on the horses, you were playing on the guitar strings
    You were playing like a devil wearing wings, wearing wings
    You looked so grand wearing wings
    You were betting on some lover, you were shaking up the dice
    And I thought I saw you cheating once or twice, once or twice

A Case of You is about either Nash or Cohen, depending on which day of the week it is.

So yeah, it's kind of relevant, IMO anyway.

User Info Menu

There are alternatives but the VG 8 EX also has the Vio algorithm which was unique and I would argue is unmatched in what it does. The pitch shifting for individual strings was really a minor feature. For some reason Roland did not include the Vio in later models and did not develop it further but it was capable of some very unique tonalities.

Sting used the VG8 EX Vio algorithm in a number of songs - for what that's worth. One very lovely use is bringing a breath blown/ bowed sound to a plucked string.

You can pick them up at a reasonable price but need to make sure you are getting the VG 8 EX and not a VG 8 or VG 8 with an expansion pack.

Roland VG-8 EX | Reverb

You can dig into the manual here

Roland - Support - VG-8EX - Owner's Manuals

Will

I read that Dylan and Joni Mitchell were at someone's house in LA (maybe one of their's) with some other people and Joni was playing some new songs she had just written (probably in the '70s if I recall). Dylan acted either disinterested, bored, or rude regarding the songs she was playing during that and apparently it pissed off Joni. So that may have sparked her to dis on Dylan. She of course admitted that he was a great songwriter, but said he was a lousy musician. Is that what happened? Who knows, but that's what I read.

I find some of her tunes simply brilliant and others boringly self absorbed as someone mentioned above. Coyote is one of my favorites, with the images and moods and emotions she conjurs within an urgent and ever driving tune and her fascination with a man on the prowl, and I especially like the version she played during the Band's Last Waltz performance.

User Info Menu

Years ago, after one saturday gig to local record stores I put the new purchases to my record shelve. I had bought a Joni Mitchell record and I was amazed to find that I had at least ten Joni's records there already. I had started to collect her records unconsciously. (Later I was almost upset when I noticed that I had the same thing with Van Morrison records!)

The early ones are a bit hard to listen because of the quality of the singing voice of young Joni Mitchell. But in the 70's starts a long series of good records. And the newer the better, Turbulent Indigo is one of my (many) favourites.

But the best of all is Travelogue. There has been winters when I don't listen almost anything else. (Ok, Kind Of Blue some times.) It is wonderfully orchestrated album, the music starts from the silence. And there is no hurry anywhere. Plus always tasteful Wayne Shorter!

Here is an arrangement (praise Vince Mendoza) with swing jazz tint: Be Cool!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I don't want this to sound superficial, because it really isn't meant to be, but it's amazing how many songwriters or artists from the era she had relationships with: a partial list is Leonard Cohen, David Crosby, Graham Nash, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, John Guerin, Sam Shepard, Jaco Pastorius, Don Alias and Larry Klein. It's like a who's who of Laurel Canyon. And she wrote songs about most of them, some of which are brilliant.

I also remember an interesting article from many years ago which talked about how she wasn't conventionally attractive, but she made herself into a beautiful person who seduced an entire generation.

Now of course how someone looks or who they sleep with may be irrelevant in many situations, but this is rock and folk music we're talking about, after all. We all know that Mick Jagger and Bob Dylan and David Bowie did the exact same thing. And Picasso and Frank Sinatra and so many others.

Anyway, like a great artist she turned her volcanic personal life into art, which is really the most one can ask of an artist.
    Don't forget that she was also having an affair with David Geffen, right after he started Asylum Records.
    Geffen counted on signing Laura Nyro (whom he was managing at the time) for Asylum, but she wound up signing with Columbia Records, which devastated Geffen.
    He wound up signing Judee Sill instead, along with David Blue, the first two Asylum artists. When Joni came along, it was rumored that she didn't want competition from another woman on the label, and convinced Geffen to drop his support for Sill, according to the British journalist/author who wrote the book, "Welcome to the Hotel California".
    Sill was an extremely talented singer/pianist/guitarist/pianist/songwriter, but her stuff wasn't as commercial as Mitchell's was, so Geffen dropped her like a hot potato when Mitchell came along.
    Mitchell was quite aware of who Sill was, as she was seen in the studio during the recording of "Heart Food", Sill's second album for Asylum, on which Sill both wrote the orchestrations, and conducted the orchestra and chorus, in addition to playing the piano and guitar and singing.

Sill was so mad at Geffen for dropping all publicity for her second album, she camped out on Geffen's front yard for a week!
    When that didn't work, she outed Geffen as a "Fat little fag" at one of her concerts, and she was booted from Asylum for good.

This was in 1971, so I think we can assume Geffen wasn't pleased with being outed. In his huge autobiography, Geffen only mentioned Sill in one sentence, calling her an ex- prostitute/drug addict.

User Info Menu

Joni Mitchell-22899010-0e7c-4ba3-8c01-376ae0c5940e-jpeg

User Info Menu

I just read that article from Mojo. It is mainly about a photographer Norman Seeff who took pictures about her for years. Great photos that I’ve never seen.

It also gives quite bohemian impression about Mitchell’s way of life. No no, I do not mean who-slept-with-who nor sensational narcotic stories, just the attitude of an artist!

User Info Menu

I still find it strange the attraction the public has for clebs..the intense hunger for every detail of their lives..and the press frenzy to go along with it all..

Ladies of the Canyon did it for me...as I was in LA during that period and had friends in Laurel Canyon which was right in the middle of it all just above sunset blvd..

The tune "For Free" was a mini story of LA life in the time limit of a traffic signal..ahhh talk about micro/macro views of the universe..

not bad for a country girl from Canada singing in bars..and became a top attraction in the music biz..all in a very short time..hmmm..perhaps while wating for "the walk in green.."

User Info Menu

lots of drama and ego here reported about Mitchell.

I'll say this, Diana Krall in her encore at the end of her 'live in paris' dvd recording killed it on her rendition of 'a case of you'

User Info Menu

This was when she was young and tender... ish :-)

User Info Menu

Joni at nearly 60 years old, singing a song she wrote when she was in her early 20s:

User Info Menu

I always thought she was a very great guitarist in addition to everything else .

What a band .
    What time feel on her vocals ..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I nearly cried whilst watching this. I don't know whether it was empathy for Rik's pure joy in recounting the meeting, or just jealousy!

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk