The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

On playing with Benny Goodman:

Worth investing in the course, I'd say. Great sound, great phrasing. Just great!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

His account of being told by Benny Goodman to get a more crisp/acoustic sounding guitar is very interesting. I saw Chris Flory with Benny and Scott Hamilton on that European tour in 1982. Even though it was a big open air gig, Benny made the organisers turn all the mics off, so his performance was virtually all-acoustic (I assume Chris still had his amp on though). The people at the back weren’t very happy, but I was right at the front and it sounded magical, quite an intimate sound. So maybe Benny was trying to get a more natural sound, like it was before the days of big PA systems.

Anyway I’m glad I heard Benny sounding like that, will never forget it!

User Info Menu

Lucky you, Graham! A magical memory.

User Info Menu

By the way I googled and found this shot of Chris and Benny, pretty sure this is the same concert I saw (Knebworth 1982), the trees behind the stage give it away.

Chris Flory - Tuition Videos and More-60654a91-f7d5-449b-bdf9-bb0f9d3d2922-jpg

User Info Menu

I've just this afternoon been listening to Chris Flory's appearance on Judy Carmichael's radio show/podcast Jazz Inspired. Link to the Chris Flory episode: Chris Flory — Judy Carmichael's Jazz Inspired

User Info Menu

Found another shot from the Knebworth show Graham.

Chris Flory - Tuition Videos and More-benny-goodman-watching-phil-flanigan-chris-flory-knebworth-hertfordshire-1982_u-l-q10m7c70-jpg

User Info Menu

Two more from Knebworth '82.

Chris Flory - Tuition Videos and More-gettyimages-84999857-2048x2048-jpg

Chris Flory - Tuition Videos and More-gettyimages-529062527-2048x2048-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Two more from Knebworth '82.

Chris Flory - Tuition Videos and More-gettyimages-84999857-2048x2048-jpg
    Somewhere in that sea of faces is me...

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rob MacKillop! That was an immediate order for me.

User Info Menu

He used to be babysitter for Gil Evans' daughters...and seemed to spend all his time copying Gil's record collection.

User Info Menu

Apparently he had a couple of lessons with Tiny Grimes, interesting link back to Charlie Parker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Apparently he had a couple of lessons with Tiny Grimes, interesting link back to Charlie Parker.
    After that, he took lessons with Carl Thompson who played in duos with Jim Hall.

User Info Menu

Well I’m now on a Chris Flory kick, just purchased For You, nice bluesy organ trio stuff:

User Info Menu

Here’s Chris Flory getting a featured spot with Benny Goodman in 1982 (go to 26 mins 30 sec). This was just around the time I saw him with Benny on their European tour.

User Info Menu

If you have a Smalls Live subscription there are some fantastic vids in the archive of him playing live at Smalls with Larry Ham(piano) , Lee Hudson ( bass) and Tom Melito ( drums) as well as some vids of performances with Joe Cohn. Which was my whole reason for subscribing to Smalls I have both of the tuition vids mentioned but the live stuff at Smalls is well worth the monthly subscription if you have the interest and patience to work out what he is doing live. Ok!!!!!!!!! I am a big Chris Flory fan))

I am a bit surprised those lesson vids could just be posted here and are not more protected

Will

User Info Menu

Always loved this tune by Chris. I believe he considers it one of signature pieces. I learned it from this vid. All the essential Flory touches and moves in one place

cheers
    Will

User Info Menu

There’s also a nice version of that tune on the album I just got:

User Info Menu

Looking for more stuff featuring Chris Flory, I came across this interesting album ‘Almost Modern’ by sax and clarinet player Dan Block, on which Chris plays guitar on most tracks. Jon-Erik Kellso (of the Earregulars) is on trumpet. It’s a neat idea, exploring the music that evolved in the transition from swing to bop. Great ‘period’ album cover too!

Here’s a sample, one of those old Dexter Gordon tunes:

User Info Menu

Hi, Graham, that was good, enjoyed that!

I just opened your photos for the first time. Very nice. Great miscellaneous pig :-)

I have to say I'm intimately acquainted with 99 % of all the Sussex ones, been to Batemans and Nymans, etc, etc. Not East Grinstead, though. Would it be rude to ask where you're based?

Nice ones of Ella Fitzgerald too.

User Info Menu

Thanks, yes I live in Sussex. Nearest big place is probably Crawley.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Looking for more stuff featuring Chris Flory, I came across this interesting album ‘Almost Modern’ by sax and clarinet player Dan Block, on which Chris plays guitar on most tracks. Jon-Erik Kellso (of the Earregulars) is on trumpet. It’s a neat idea, exploring the music that evolved in the transition from swing to bop. Great ‘period’ album cover too!

Here’s a sample, one of those old Dexter Gordon tunes:

Known both forever, great players and guys. Chris's time and swing are sick good, and Dan is one of the great jazz clarinetists. Thanks!

User Info Menu

It's a '48 L7

User Info Menu

I love his playing. No affectation, no showboating, no too-clever harmonic daliances, just great swing playing with heart and soul. What's not to like?