The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    Hard to tell from vids but I am guessing he has the action fairly high and strung with somewhat heavy strings - 13's maybe? as he seems to quite often really dig in with his right hand / pick

Will
    That wouldn’t surprise me as he has a definite lineage in the swing tradition. He used to play in Benny Goodman’s band.

btw let me also add to my previous post that I uninstalled the *much* more expensive DeArmond 1100 Rhythm Chief to make room for that FHC. Both pickups have their virtues. One of the FHC’s virtues is its tendency toward vicious growls.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyone know which Gibson model/year Chris is playing ? . I know its a Dearmond FHC added pickup. Thanks Will

User Info Menu

One of the most awesome guitars Gibson ever made, the non-cut L7 with a single coil p/u. Without a serial number or FON it's impossible to date accurately, but I think
    Omphalopsycho got it in the right range. Mine is a '44 and it's hard to find the words to describe how incredible it sounds and plays. Chris definitely feels at home with his!

User Info Menu

Great sounding guitar with the FHC!. I have a Smalls archive subscription and have lately been studying his live stuff over the years. He really seems to just let the acoustic/simply amplified voice of the guitar and his personal technique flow, you can hear all sorts of honest sqweeks/quacks/string pops/pick slaps that contribute to a refreshingly authentic tone/sound style you don't hear too often these days.

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos

Here's a wonderful clip of Chris Flory shredding all over The Lady's In Love With You.

And here is the recorded version by Chris Flory with Scott Hamilton. This version is one of my all time favorites of any tune by any artist.

I believe Chris is from Rhode Island. I am within driving distance of RI or Boston and as one of my favorite guitarists I would love to catch him live or even take some lessons with him if he teaches, but he has been difficult to track down. I do see that he is playing in Boston on January 23. Unfortunately, I am not able to get in to Boston during the week for a 7:00pm show without a little more advanced notice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I'd never even heard of Bill Jennings before. Great to hear that album - he had his own unique voice, for sure. Wonderful. Thanks, Will.
    Ditto. Jennings was great. He was all about the groove. As is Chris Flory. The best players do not play the most notes, they play the right notes....in the right place.

User Info Menu

I'd never even heard of Bill Jennings before. Great to hear that album - he had his own unique voice, for sure. Wonderful. Thanks, Will.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I know exactly what you mean. I love his records, but nothing matches hearing him live (whether in person or on the internet). The sound of the pick slapping the string, the strings smacking the frets, the blend of that pickup and the acoustic sound of the guitar. Same goes for people like Peter Bernstein. If you haven't seen him live, you haven't really heard him yet.

Here's a wonderful clip of Chris Flory shredding all over The Lady's In Love With You.

Thanks to Chris Flory I hooked up an FHC on my 1934 Gibson L7 (similar but 16" and 24.75" scale) a few months and have not yet looked back. I always loved the acoustic sound of that instrument, but the blended acoustic and FHC tone is just nuts.
    This is one of my favorite jazz guitar clips bar none. I love everything about every note he plays in the video. The rest of the band ain’t half bad either

User Info Menu

It's a 50s (or at least late 40s) Gibson L7. Chris Flory is the man, one of my all-time favorites. He swings as hard as anyone. Great personality, too. I had the pleasure of chatting with him between sets at Mezzrow once.

User Info Menu

Wasn't he like 12 years old or something when he cut that live album with Scott Hamilton? (I exaggerate, but he was young.)

EDIT: this one (or at least from that tour)?

User Info Menu

Chris was born in 1953, so he was ~33 at the time. He still looks younger than his age - eligible for Medicare, at 65. He was only ~29 here, with Benny Goodman.

User Info Menu

I know he played with the great Judy Carmichael and also with Scott Hamilton . There are some great shows in the Smalls archive . Including Chris with his quartet, and also in a trio with Joe Cohn who I also really enjoy. Funny how there is a circle of connections , I am also a big fan of Joe's daughter Shaye and the band she unofficially leads -- Tuba Skinny and only made the connection between them all after finding them individually.

Will
    It's unusual to have (at least) three generations of top-quality musicians in a family. Joe's father (and Shaye's grandfather) Al Cohn was a great saxophonist.

User Info Menu

I know he played with the great Judy Carmichael and also with Scott Hamilton . There are some great shows in the Smalls archive . Including Chris with his quartet, and also in a trio with Joe Cohn who I also really enjoy. Funny how there is a circle of connections , I am also a big fan of Joe's daughter Shaye and the band she unofficially leads -- Tuba Skinny and only made the connection between them all after finding them individually.

Will

User Info Menu

Great sounding guitar with the FHC!. I have a Smalls archive subscription and have lately been studying his live stuff over the years. He really seems to just let the acoustic/simply amplified voice of the guitar and his personal technique flow, you can hear all sorts of honest sqweeks/quacks/string pops/pick slaps that contribute to a refreshingly authentic tone/sound style you don't hear too often these days.

Will

I know exactly what you mean. I love his records, but nothing matches hearing him live (whether in person or on the internet). The sound of the pick slapping the string, the strings smacking the frets, the blend of that pickup and the acoustic sound of the guitar. Same goes for people like Peter Bernstein. If you haven't seen him live, you haven't really heard him yet.

Thanks to Chris Flory I hooked up an FHC on my 1934 Gibson L7 (similar but 16" and 24.75" scale) a few months and have not yet looked back. I always loved the acoustic sound of that instrument, but the blended acoustic and FHC tone is just nuts.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info - I love his playing !!!! the guy has incredibly swing feel!!!

Will

User Info Menu

I added an FHC to my 51' Super300 ( kinda 18" / 25.5" scale version of an L7 I am guessing) and there is a certain magic there!

Will

User Info Menu

Hard to tell from vids but I am guessing he has the action fairly high and strung with somewhat heavy strings - 13's maybe? as he seems to quite often really dig in with his right hand / pick

Will

User Info Menu

Chris does a fantastic version of Harold Arlen's " The Man that got Away " which eerily mirrors Jennings and McDuffs "Blue Jams" that starts around 29:30 on the " Enough Said" album

Will

User Info Menu

Chris Flory is all over vocalist Yaala Ballin's new album 'Sings Irving Berlin', out this week. With Michael Kanan on piano and Ari Roland on bass.

User Info Menu

Three consecutive sets of Chris Flory as one of the featured guests on Frank Vignola's Guitar Night at the Birdland Theatre, NYC.

8 November 2023

15 November 2023

22 November 2023

joelf Guest
    This is good to know! Chris is a great player and great guy. He has a wealth of experience, so you know he knows what he's talking about.

I didn't watch the vids, but if he talks about time feels pay close attention: he's got one of the best in the business...

User Info Menu

Nice resurrection to a good thread! Thanks OP Rob and David B for bringing it back into view!