User Info Menu

Frisell-62a22332-dc9b-4518-a53b-d876493205c1-jpgFrisell-f7363992-226d-4a2b-8389-be7dc2530e65-jpg

I was fortunate enough to catch Bill Frisell’s early set last night in New Haven. He played a one hour beautiful piece of music encompassing themes from Hard Times all the way to This Land is Your Land. Of course he composed while playing and built up some nice loop sequences which sounded incredible. He ended playing the simple, open melody of This Land over a wild, backward loop of dissonance (it felt like a glimmer of hope in the troubled times we live in). What a journey!

If anyone gets a chance to see a show at Firehouse 12 in New Haven, CT it is a fantastic room for music. It is actually a studio with a very small performance space.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Firehouse 12, both the venue and the record label are awesome. I'm traveling up there to take a lesson with Joe Morris in a couple weeks and might try to catch a show!
    Last edited by rmpmcdermott; 08-08-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    On the Turntable: Steve Reich - Phases (box set), Fred Frith Guitar Quartet - Ayaya Moses
    Guitar:
    Fender AVRI '59 w/ TI Swing 11s and Tyson Tone pickups
    Through: Polytone Mini Brute II

User Info Menu

Great photos! Thanks, Bflat!

I've seen Bill maybe 20 times. I'm a huge fan. But I've never had a chance to catch his solo show! Someday, I hope!

That was the second time I saw him solo. Quite a different ride than the first. We are lucky to have him pass by here quite often!

User Info Menu

Here’s an article I wrote on bill. Hope you enjoy. I’d love to see him live one day.

Bill Frisell - Toppermost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great article. I feel very fortunate to have seen him about 7 times over the last 5-6 years in various configurations. One time he was at Jazz at Lincoln Center and he participated in the pre show discussion. Your description of his music puts into words how I feel about it. Very cool. I hope you get a chance to see him live. Since he travels extensively the odds are in your favor!

User Info Menu

I have gotten to see Bill in concert twice. The first was a free solo show at Macalester College in Saint Paul perhaps 10 years ago. It was jam packed, welll out of the fire codes, and was a remarkable experience. The second was at the Walker Art Museum where he played with The Bad Plus which was really quite remarkable. Bill had been an influence of those guys when they were in high school and a lot of what they played harkened back to that era but filtered through Bill's current sensibility.

There was a very interesting documentary on Bill which I think is still available on Vimeo.com.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 08-10-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    Frisell-62a22332-dc9b-4518-a53b-d876493205c1-jpgFrisell-f7363992-226d-4a2b-8389-be7dc2530e65-jpg

I was fortunate enough to catch Bill Frisell’s early set last night in New Haven. He played a one hour beautiful piece of music encompassing themes from Hard Times all the way to This Land is Your Land. Of course he composed while playing and built up some nice loop sequences which sounded incredible. He ended playing the simple, open melody of This Land over a wild, backward loop of dissonance (it felt like a glimmer of hope in the troubled times we live in). What a journey!

If anyone gets a chance to see a show at Firehouse 12 in New Haven, CT it is a fantastic room for music. It is actually a studio with a very small performance space.
    I am jealous. My wife and I wanted to go to that concert but it sold out too quickly. We did see Bill at Firehouse 12 a number of years ago. That is a great venue as well as a great bar.