User Info Menu

I don't always enjoy music in this general style but I liked this. Enough structure to hang your hat as it edges free and seems pretty accessible and musical.

Last edited by AndyV; 07-20-2019 at 10:15 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

halvorson

and this would be the album

(perfect introductory halvorson)

mary halvorson octet-away with you...2016

cheers

User Info Menu

Ocetet- is that a band featuring eight ocelots?

User Info Menu

Always support some Mary Halvorson here on the forum!
    On the Turntable: Joe Morris - Colorfield, Albert Ayler - The Hilversum Session
    Guitar:
    Fender AVRI '59 w/ TI Swing 11s and Tyson Tone pickups
    Through: Polytone Mini Brute II

User Info Menu

You know, I used to not like Mary's playing AT ALL!

It sounded random and sloppy...

Ugh, boy was I wrong!!!

I hear minimalism in Mary's playing--I keep hearing these hints of Philip Glass! I hear Ornette. I hear the blues. I hear 'trane. I hear Chicago Underground... why do I keep hearing that in more modern players these days? I actually hear everything that I've listened to in my entire life in Mary's playing... It's so weird. But I've only noticed that now.

Cool stuff. Mary deserves another chance in my book. It takes guts to play like that. Kind of like a big "bad ass" finger to the world. She's more punk rock than today's punk rock, for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    You know, I used to not like Mary's playing AT ALL!

It sounded random and sloppy...

Ugh, boy was I wrong!!!

I hear minimalism in Mary's playing--I keep hearing these hints of Philip Glass! I hear Ornette. I hear the blues. I hear 'trane. I hear Chicago Underground... why do I keep hearing that in more modern players these days? I actually hear everything that I've listened to in my entire life in Mary's playing... It's so weird. But I've only noticed that now.

Cool stuff. Mary deserves another chance in my book. It takes guts to play like that. Kind of like a big "bad ass" finger to the world. She's more punk rock than today's punk rock, for sure.
    Though I totally understand when people don't like Mary's music, I can definitely say that none of it is random. She studied with Joe Morris and his whole philosophy on free music, especially free improvisation is that "free music is not music that is free of deliberate content or structure. It is music that exists because the artists who make it are compelled to remain free to render their music in any fashion they feel worthwhile." Joe very much believes in structures and conscious choice, he just believes that it is up to the artist to decide the criteria for the structure.

Glad you dig this stuff and want to give her music another chance!
    On the Turntable: Joe Morris - Colorfield, Albert Ayler - The Hilversum Session
    Guitar:
    Fender AVRI '59 w/ TI Swing 11s and Tyson Tone pickups
    Through: Polytone Mini Brute II