User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good article. Thank you for posting it.

That interview is dated 1968. This short concert footage from Oslo is dated the following year, 1969.

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

cheers

ps- good interview..astute cannonball

User Info Menu

Cannonball's "Live At The Lighthouse" remains the most swinging record I can think of.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald View Post
    Cannonball's "Live At The Lighthouse" remains the most swinging record I can think of.

It is a marvel and a delight.

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Interviews with jazz musicians are often interesting in that those musicians often have a tendency- like this- to think broadly and contextually. I think in part because they tend to study the depth of their tradition to a degree that many (but by no means all) pop musicians don't.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

1968 was a critical point in Jazz History. The trend away from Jazz toward Rock was self evident by then and it's fascinating to read how Cannonball spoke for the Jazz community with his pessimistic thoughts regarding Jazz's future. Kinda makes me wanna read more interviews with Jazz musicians from that era. Bill Evans was always a great interview subject too I always thought, from that or any era he lived through. Who else do we think was as eloquent / erudite?