Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

The Washington Post just published an excellent, in-depth article on the Kenny Burrell situation. Although the author attempts to provide a balanced perspective, a number of people remain concerned about what’s really may be going on. Here’s the link:

A jazz legend said he was in desperate need of money. His friends had questions. - The Washington Post

John Galich

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

But I read the article in the WaPo this afternoon, it's very odd. Not just the article, but the circumstances surrounding the matters stated in the article.

I am hoping that there is further information regarding Kenny Burrell and his circumstance. I wish I could say more, but the article is not only supposition, but perhaps it is not fully developed, and others who read it might come to differing opinions regarding Mr. Burrell and his circumstances.

User Info Menu

All I can say is "Wow"!

User Info Menu

The plot thickens...

Sounds like typical unfortunate shenanigans involving a famous and/or wealthy person near the end of their life.

Much of what has been reported may be true--he may in fact have kidney cancer for instance--but what is troubling is the idea of walling the 2 of them off from all other living people.

BTW, it has been proven that protective clothing--gowns, gloves, masks--does NOT protect against infection, even among patients with chemotherapy-induced immune deficiency.

The flake-o-meter is in the red zone with this one...
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

That was a disturbing article and another sign that I should wait until donating to Go Fund Me. Very sad if this is turns out to be valid. I feel for the folks who owned the other apartment.

User Info Menu

I have no idea if it applies here, but I’ve personally known elderly people exploited by romance scammers. Financial elder abuse is very common but under-reported, partly because it’s so difficult to prove it’s exploitation and not the victim’s choice. Sometimes the perpetrator is a family member or spouse. But there are con artists who make a profession of scamming vulnerable elders.

If you know any vulnerable individuals or if you’re getting on in age yourself, you might read up on the common ploys.
    Financial Elder Abuse - Learn About the Signs of Financial Elderly Abuse
    Again, I’m not claiming it applies here, but the WP article has me worried.
    Last edited by KirkP; 07-12-2019 at 01:05 AM.

User Info Menu

So what about the article in JazzTimes with the letter supposedly written by Kenny?

Ok, I sat down and read the entire WaPo article. Wow. I initially was suspicious about this, but now I'm moreso. Something's wrong here.

User Info Menu

To me it sounds like someone in the Burrell household is a serious weirdo. I mean, making visitors wear protection because of virus fear? Get serious.

User Info Menu

You can read into this a lot, but we still don't know the whole story.

I admire Kenny because of his work, not his personal life. I really don't know his personal life. In a hundred years that will be at most a small footnote.

I've lived in a condo and had weird neighbors. I run into odd people all the time. That's just modern life.

Regarding the donations, you can never control what happens to the money you submit to any cause. You are only in control as to whether you chose to try to help and with how much. If it turns out to truly help someone in need, that's nice. If it's a scam, it's unfortunate but doesn't diminish your charity. If it goes to support a couple caught in an unusual and nonsensical situation, that's not your fault.

Long ago I made a trip to Mexico as a teen. The poverty in Nuevo Laredo was shocking. I saw a woman with a child holding her hand out while sitting on the street. People were giving her dimes and quarters from time to time. I felt that I could make her very happy if I gave her much more. I counted out all of my money and kept only enough for gas to get back to Michigan. I gave her all the rest, which would have been at least a few days worth of her begging. She took the money, dropped it in her bucket, put her hand back out and never made eye contact or changed her facial expression. No effect. That angered me at first but gave me a life long lesson. Charity is not for others, it's for yourself. I now am happy that I could give to her.
    MG

User Info Menu

warning taped to the door stating that: “This is a private residence that contains audiovisual recording devices, and entry is acknowledgment that one waives any confidentiality and privacy rights.” ILL HAVE TO GET A SIGN LIKE THAT

User Info Menu

Katherine Goodrich may be the one who is truly ill, not physically.

I am concerned for Kenny Burrell.

User Info Menu

When I first heard about all this, it sounded like a believable, sad story- elderly jazz great has a run of bad luck, falls on hard times, needs help. I thought the questions and aspersions were deeply cynical. The more details that come out, the more people close to the situation speak up, it seems there's some basis for the doubts. I think there needs to be an intervention, by his children and social services. Whatever the true facts are, it's still a sad story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo View Post
    So what about the article in JazzTimes with the letter supposedly written by Kenny?

Ok, I sat down and read the entire WaPo article. Wow. I initially was suspicious about this, but now I'm moreso. Something's wrong here.

The letter actually raised my concerns. It seemed very oddly written, at least to me, and emphasized and re-emphasized points in weird ways. Not blaming anyone, or claiming to even know 1% of their situation as it could very well be true. It just struck me for some reason

This repetition for instance:

and that my wife is controlling me and/or my affairs. It has been repeatedly said that “no one has seen me.” It has also been reported to the press that my neighbors have said that they have not seen me, and that my wife is controlling my affairs. I have made it clear that the GoFundMe was not done without my knowledge. Beyond that, my wife has worked tirelessly to save my life and protect my health in the hospital, the rehab facility, and at home. She works 24/7 to take care of me. I am well cared for by my wife. She deserves praise and credit for this—not false accusations. Both the UCLA PD and APS have been to our home for welfare checks. I feel like my wife is being investigated based on false allegations, and I am deeply disturbed by this, because she has taken such good care of me for two and a half years.

My wife is not controlling me or my affairs. She is managing OUR affairs as a married couple. She has worked hard to protect me, and manage a series of crises and very unfortunate circumstances, all while taking care of me 24/7.
    Last edited by Paulie2; 07-12-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Typos

User Info Menu

The consensus on another forum is that the wife is psycho. Who knows?
    All I know is I'll never give to another Go Fund Me thing again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2 View Post
    The letter actually raised my concerns. It seemed very oddly written, at least to me, and emphasized and re-emphasized points in weird ways. Not blaming anyone, or claiming to even know 1% of their situation as it could very well be true. It just struck me for some reason
    That's why I said "supposedly" written by Kenny. My BS detector went off many times reading it.

I'm glad to see an actual news organization reporting on this. Taking the word of JazzTimes this was real, wasn't the best idea in hindsight.

And I admit, I gave money. I said then: I'd rather be out $20 than be wrong and let an icon like Kenny face homelessness.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    The consensus on another forum is that the wife is psycho. Who knows?
    ..I'd add: 'And someone who stretches the truth to suit her purposes', and " Someone who ought not be anyone's full time health care giver, including her own ."..

After reading the WP article, I could only conclude there is no cruel and vindictive HMO suing them for no reason, threatening them with having to choose between eviction or living in a mold infested apartment'.....etc etc.....the fact is the water leak, mold and subsequent damages could very well have come from a fixture in the Burrells own apartment. And these fixtures could very well have been repaired with little damage at all if the inspectors and repair people had been allowed access. Another resident's apartment subsequently suffered water leak damages and mold issues.
    This WP article has now made me question that identity theft story too. I believe there's some money missing alright, but I sure wouldn't look too far for the culprit. It may not have been theft, but it could've been thoroughly incompetent bookkeeping.

If you need and ask for help with medical bills, absolutely we should help if we can. But when stories about your circumstances become vague and later are shown to be pretty much fabricated, that's out of line.

Bottom line all the best to KB !!

MHO
    Last edited by Dennis D; 07-12-2019 at 06:39 PM.

User Info Menu

kooky shit,

Just totally reminds me of living in rental housing in southern california, tenants are constantly on the edge of terror.

I donated but . . .oh well.

User Info Menu

Well, I donated, a good month ago.

I know enough people who got screwed by health insurance and homeowners associations that I bought it. Honestly, I still believe something was/is seriously wrong...even though now I think it might be created by s person who is NOT Kenny.

So whatever. I jumped (and would jump again, probably) at the chance to help Kenny. Hes one of two reasons I even tried playing jazz.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ugarte View Post
    Just totally reminds me of living in rental housing in southern california, tenants are constantly on the edge of terror.
    Kenny's place is *far* from rental housing. You'll notice in the article they list the purchase price. They even mention he lives in a "penthouse unit". 1900 sq feet I believe it is.

User Info Menu

It's hard to know what to think with nothing but second- and third-hand information to go on. Dr. Jeff's patented Flake-O-Meter may be correct, I had some of that thought myself when reading the WaPo article, although if someone is a flake doesn't necessarily mean they are fraudulent. Frauds intend to deceive, flakes believe they are correct and that their wrong notions are true.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    It's hard to know what to think with nothing but second- and third-hand information to go on. Dr. Jeff's patented Flake-O-Meter may be correct, I had some of that thought myself when reading the WaPo article, although if someone is a flake doesn't necessarily mean they are fraudulent. Frauds intend to deceive, flakes believe they are correct and that their wrong notions are true.
    And by that very charitable definition, which is ok, I suppose, flakes are generally going to be lousy with other people's money, 'cause they've already pissed away all of their own. They could be wonderful folks, just don't give them the checkbook.

User Info Menu

$300k to $400k for a house or condo in California is on the very low end of the spectrum. That money will not buy you luxury housing there. It will in some places, but not in southern California. I donated, knowing the possibility of a scam, but I won't ask for my money back in any case. I made the decision, and I'm responsible for it. I just hope Kenny is comfortable for the rest of his life. I won't miss the money.

User Info Menu

It's all glaringly fishy - after making 100+ albums over 60+ yrs and still, it seems, receiving a pretty good salary from UCLA including, crucially, health insurance, then KB must be, at the very least, financially comfortable so, outside of a gambling addiction or similar by one or both of them, the poverty aspect seems incredulous but.. more than that, the details in the Washington Post of the seemingly scuzzy state of the home and hallway seems so totally at odds with what I've gleaned about Kenny Burrell over the last 50 years; admittedly without knowing him, he's always come across personally and even in his jazz as someone totally together, elegant and sharp as a whip. If there's been a mental collapse of some dimension then surely his extended family would be aware of it to some extent? It's not my responsibility and I don't know US law but as he's been important to some degree in many thousands of people's lives, certainly mine, isn't there a case for intervention here? If you read this, Burrell family, put all our minds at ease, please.