The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Hi all, I have been enjoying a couple of Kenny Wheeler's albums recently, I really love the subdued spacey sounds. Can anyone recommend some similar artists or albums? Doesn't have to be trumpeters, or even straight jazz really, just anything that may have a similar vibe.

I think what I like the most is that the albums I have heard focus on original compositions, have unusual structures and instrumentation and have a lot of space.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds like a lot of things on the ECM label.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Babaluma
    Hi all, I have been enjoying a couple of Kenny Wheeler's albums recently, I really love the subdued spacey sounds. Can anyone recommend some similar artists or albums? Doesn't have to be trumpeters, or even straight jazz really, just anything that may have a similar vibe.

I think what I like the most is that the albums I have heard focus on original compositions, have unusual structures and instrumentation and have a lot of space.

Thanks!
    Yeah I think ECM in general. Try Dino Saluzzi and Anouar Brahem.

User Info Menu

Agree with Graham and Christian.

Which Kenny Wheeler albums have you been listening to? He had a small revolving cast of musicians through much of his discography, so their own work would be a good place to start.

Pianist John Taylor recorded with Kenny several times on ECM, as a co-leader of the trio Azimuth (with Kenny and Norma Winstone) and a couple of great trio recordings under Peter Erskine's name. He had a great run of trio albums with Palle Daniellson and Martin France on the CAM Jazz in his last decade.

Taking Kenny's 'Angel Song' as a starting point, you might explore some of Bill Frisell's work, particularly from the 80s and 90s. Start with the Paul Motian album 'It Should Have Happened A Long Time Ago'.

If it's Kenny's big band albums that you're into, Maria Schneider's work would be up your street.

I've a nice album, 'New View', by bassist Chris Laurence, another of Kenny's long-time collaborators. With Frank Ricotti, John Parricelli, Martin France (and Norma Winstone on one tune), it's basically a Kenny Wheeler group without Kenny. Worth seeking out.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Sounds like a lot of things on the ECM label.
    I have checked out a few things on ECM but frankly I have only really enjoyed Wheeler and John Abercrombie's work so far. I find a lot of it a bit too new agey for me. However they have such a vast catalogue I will investigate further!

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Agree with Graham and Christian.

Which Kenny Wheeler albums have you been listening to? He had a small revolving cast of musicians through much of his discography, so their own work would be a good place to start.

Pianist John Taylor recorded with Kenny several times on ECM, as a co-leader of the trio Azimuth (with Kenny and Norma Winstone) and a couple of great trio recordings under Peter Erskine's name. He had a great run of trio albums with Palle Daniellson and Martin France on the CAM Jazz in his last decade.

Taking Kenny's 'Angel Song' as a starting point, you might explore some of Bill Frisell's work, particularly from the 80s and 90s. Start with the Paul Motian album 'It Should Have Happened A Long Time Ago'.

If it's Kenny's big band albums that you're into, Maria Schneider's work would be up your street.

I've a nice album, 'New View', by bassist Chris Laurence, another of Kenny's long-time collaborators. With Frank Ricotti, John Parricelli, Martin France (and Norma Winstone on one tune), it's basically a Kenny Wheeler group without Kenny. Worth seeking out.
    Thanks very much, I love Angel Song and also Gnu High and Deer Wan so far. I will check out the others you mention thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah I think ECM in general. Try Dino Saluzzi and Anouar Brahem.
    These look interesting thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    This is excellent, spot on!

User Info Menu

Tomasz Stanko

User Info Menu

longtime ecm fan.....gnu high and deer wan!! wheelers prime!...

check out

(same era) italian trumpeter enrico rava...the pilgrim and the stars ..with abercrombies gateway trio backing him...and his following ecm lp-the plot---also w abercrombie

jack dejohnettes new directions..with abercrombie and trumpeter lester bowie

terje rypdal-whenever i seem to be far away

all ^ ecm

lastly,not ecm, the great trumpeter (pocket) don cherry-brown rice ...and also- relativity suite ...2 classics

check 'em out...have fun

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    longtime ecm fan.....gnu high and deer wan!! wheelers prime!...

check out

(same era) italian trumpeter enrico rava...the pilgrim and the stars ..with abercrombies gateway trio backing him...and his following ecm lp-the plot---also w abercrombie

jack dejohnettes new directions..with abercrombie and trumpeter lester bowie

terje rypdal-whenever i seem to be far away

all ^ ecm

lastly,not ecm, the great trumpeter (pocket) don cherry-brown rice ...and also- relativity suite ...2 classics

check 'em out...have fun

cheers
    The Enrico Rava album is pretty much perfect thanks very much! I know Brown Rice, excellent album but will check out the others thanks.

User Info Menu

Tom Harrell?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Tom Harrell?
    I've been trying to get the album he did with Jim Hall for ages.

Does need to be trumpeters, any players welcome!

Thanks for listening.
    Elliot

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you for sharing that, Elliot

User Info Menu

I relly like John Taylors album 2081. The whole album si great, I played some tunes from it and love them! It’s pretty similar to Kenny Wheeler I think.

User Info Menu

Nice question! Ralph Towner has done some lovely work on ECM, including various dates with Kenny Wheeler, and his solo album 'Anthem' fits at least three of your requirements - unusual structures, lots of space, and (mostly) original compositions.

Thanks for listening!
    Here are draft arrangements for solo guitar of several Kenny Wheeler compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you for sharing that, Elliot
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Elliot

Your arrangements are beautiful. Thank you for being so generous in sharing these.

Ric

User Info Menu

Beautiful record by Ron Miles, all originals and a rhythm section to die for. My personal favorite is the last track "Is there room in your heart for a man like me".

User Info Menu

I love (some, well... a lot, really) ECM jazz. Never thought I would actually play this music. But then got into transcribing and have quite the collection of ECM classics.
    recently I have been practicing piano, If you’d like to try these tunes yourself, I share the mgu-files on my blog www.jazzstylezz.com/blog.

User Info Menu

I always thought that Tomaz Stanko has kind of a similar dark melancholy to his sound and writing. Love Kenny's sound and writing.