Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I have been watching auctions for this for years. And I FINALLY won!!! At a not-bad price, considering what I have seen them go for over the years.... complete 8 CD set, sealed!!! So excited!!!!

OMG!!!   I FINALLY got Johnny Smith Roost Complete Small Group Sessions!!!!-roost-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you bought it today on ebay it was me you out bid...
    CONGRATS, i’ll get the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by lumena View Post
    If you bought it today on ebay it was me you out bid...
    CONGRATS, i’ll get the next one.
    Whoops... sorry... that's happened to me many times on this item... I finally had to bite the bullet and accept paying more than I want to, I actually bid quite a bit higher higher than the winning bid turned out to be. I'm turning 50 this year, and I'm tired of "waiting" for bucket list items, and this was one.

User Info Menu

I'm reading "Reminiscing in Tempo: The Life and Times of a Jazz Hustler" by Teddy Reig, who owned Roost Records, and JS was interviewed for the book. In talking about his Roost records, Smith says, "In fact, everything I did with the group was pretty well planned and just about everything was written out... "That's one reason I've never been able to refer to myself as a Jazz guitarist. I've never been intrigued with jam sessions.Most of my playing to that point has been studio work, performing all kinds of music. I was sort of a jack-of-all-trades. To this day, I don't consider myself a jazz player".
    Smith said this around 1990. Previously, I thought he was just being modest when he said stuff like this, but I guess Smith really didn't improvise on those Roost recordings.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! It is a great set of recordings and Mosaic did a very fine job with the tonal qualities of those CDs. The accompanying book is very interesting as well. Lin Flanagan's (sp?) biography of JS, by the way, makes an excellent companion to the set of CDs.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

I bought the box when it came out because I'm a fan but never played it, still listening to my original vinyl copies like Steven. Doubt I'd sell anytime soon, I'll probably just keep it for a rainy day. But the booklet was outstanding and very comprehensive, those guys @ Mosaic are very accurate in everything they release.
    I probably have 2/3 of their output, outstanding company.

User Info Menu

johnny smith had cool tone too..not a stretch to hank garland and cliff gallup, etc...lush

cheers

User Info Menu

There are a number of really odd tracks in that collection, but many great ones too.

If you don’t already have the Legends CD I’d strongly recommend it. It’s got 12 jaw-dropping solo guitar arrangements by Johnny Smith and 11 more by George Van Eps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Congratulations! It is a great set of recordings and Mosaic did a very fine job with the tonal qualities of those CDs. The accompanying book is very interesting as well. Lin Flanagan's (sp?) biography of JS, by the way, makes an excellent companion to the set of CDs.
    Yes, I have the JS book, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    johnny smith had cool tone too..not a stretch to hank garland and cliff gallup, etc...lush

cheers
    I have 2 favorite jazz guitar tones:

Charlie Christian for the "old school swing" sound

and

Johnny Smith for the "beautiful archtop" sound

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
    There are a number of really odd tracks in that collection, but many great ones too.

If you don’t already have the Legends CD I’d strongly recommend it. It’s got 12 jaw-dropping solo guitar arrangements by Johnny Smith and 11 more by George Van Eps.
    I have that... but I only bought it recently, and kind of FORGOT I had it (I've been busy with life and work)! Need to start listening to it....

User Info Menu

I could be wrong, because I don’t have the biography handy, but when he refers to things being well planned, JS might have been talking about the arrangement of the song itself and not the solo portion. In the bio he stated something to the effect that he wanted to be respectful of the studio time, which was limited by union rules, as well as the musicians.

John “call me a Smith apologist” Galich

User Info Menu

Let's compare contemporaries: Johnny Smith, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Wes Montgomery. Of those four, there's only one who has not gone into long improv'd solos as far as I know.

Johnny Smith is a major hero of mine, so I'm not being critical. But he was more conservative IMO.

I'd love to be wrong on this and hear some extended, extemporaneous solos from Johnny, especially if he pushed tonal and scalar barriers. My hair would go on fire if I heard him play quarter tones!
    MG