User Info Menu

It was twenty years ago today - alright on Saturday but it's close

Jim Hall: The Emperor of Cool - JazzTimes

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jim Hall was a great player with a distinct sound. The interesting contrast of that record with Metheny is, Pat is playing all these different guitars and sounds- Jim Hall just plays the way he plays, always sounding exactly like himself. I think a lot of guitarists could learn from that, to find your voice instead of screwing around with guitars, amps, and effects.

User Info Menu

hall was unhappy with metheny on that recording...he said pat went back in and overworked his parts to death...he also said pat was too loud...not a happy session for hall..tho he knew pat from attila zoller days, when pat was a kid

cheers

User Info Menu

For twenty years I have treasured this particular quip from that interview:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hall
    I have very little connection to the actual instrument . . . I just sort of try and separate myself from it. It’s a piece of wood -- I can get another guitar. It’s not my dog or my wife.
    Words to live by. Because Jim Hall knew the great gear, and did not compromise on it, but he made it into instruments of his muse.
    "Don't worry about that. Everybody talks about finding your voice. Do your homework and your voice will find you." - Branford Marsalis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ View Post
    Jim Hall was a great player with a distinct sound. The interesting contrast of that record with Metheny is, Pat is playing all these different guitars and sounds- Jim Hall just plays the way he plays, always sounding exactly like himself. I think a lot of guitarists could learn from that, to find your voice instead of screwing around with guitars, amps, and effects.
    that Pat guy will never make it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    hall was unhappy with metheny on that recording...he said pat went back in and overworked his parts to death...he also said pat was too loud...not a happy session for hall..tho he knew pat from attila zoller days, when pat was a kid

cheers
    Gary Burton complained about the same two things; after every recording session, Pat would go back into the studio and put "little fixes" on all his solos. He also fired Pat from his group, because he'd play too loud, and try to take over the group.
    Hall was so disgusted with the "Frankenstein creature" Pat created in the studio, he never wanted to listen to the record again.

There's a video clip somewhere of Hall & Metheny where JH looks across at the mass of cables, amps, pedals & (I think) midi controllers - looks at his own battered amp & asks if he's taken a wrong turn into mission control.