The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hey everyone,
    What are your favorite albums that utilize the guitar - piano - bass trio format? Some of mine include anything that has Nat King Cole and I'm Old Fashioned - Bill Charlap Trio.

-Zane

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randomman123
    Hey everyone,
    What are your favorite albums that utilize the guitar - piano - bass trio format? Some of mine include anything that has Nat King Cole and I'm Old Fashioned - Bill Charlap Trio.

-Zane
    Hi Zane

I have two favorites:

”Jazz Guitar” by Jim Hall

”Live In Tallinn” by Jan Johansson

(Both are available on iTunes)

User Info Menu

Michael Kanan's trio with Neal Miner and Greg Ruggiero is one of my favourite NYC groups.
    They have a couple of great albums including 'Live at Mezzrow'.

User Info Menu

The Trio - 'The Trio' (Billy Bean, Walter Norris, Hal Gaylor)

User Info Menu

Peter Beets' album 'New Groove' features two p-g-b lineups: A Dutch trio with Martijn van Iterson and Ruud Jacobs; a NYC trio with Joe Cohn Reuben Rogers.

Here's Peter, Martijn and Ruud on Jimmy Raney's tune 'Parker 51'.

User Info Menu

In the golden age years it is no contest Tal Farlow with Eddie Costa and Vinnie Burke
    My overall favorite recording despite the lowfi quality

Followed closely by that classic

I am also a huge fan of Billy Bean the Trio and revisited Trio

If we talk modern age I would definitely go for Martijn Van Iterson with Peter Beets and Ruud Jacobs

User Info Menu

Thanks for the recs. That is a great format. No drummer to get in the way LOL.

Though our bass player likes to speed up as he plays, and the drummer usually keeps him in line.

Guitar, bass and drums (with a sensitive drummer ala Paul Motian or Jack de Johnette) is good too. Heck, they’re all good, but the interplay between guitar and either piano or bass makes it a lot of fun.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Raney - Wisteria (with Tommy Flanagan and George Mraz).

Great recommendations guys! Love the Billy Bean trio ones. Some of my favorite trio recordings.

User Info Menu

The Oscar Peterson Trio (OP, Ray Brown, Herb Ellis----Barney Kessel did a stint with OP and RB too)
    Also, Monty Alexander, Ray Brown and Herb Ellis.

(Loved the Nat Cole Trio too, my introduction to piano trio music with a guitar.)

User Info Menu

All excellent examples...

But you missed one:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87

But you missed one:

Yea, I missed that one. Saw that you posted in a few weeks back in another thread; This is on my must-get list.

User Info Menu

They did many albums together; both studio and live ones.

Here they are on Isn't It Romantic.

PS: As for my favorite; it would be the Tal Farlow album; The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow. But of course there are many other fine recordings by others like those already posted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87

But you missed one:

Great that someone mentions Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen!

Off topic: Another recording with NHØP you should watch is ”Just The Way You Are” from 1980. The album is a duo with Swedish bebopmeister guitarist Rune Gustafsson and is available on iTunes. He is with no doubt the most famous jazz guitarist from Sweden ever and recorded a bunch of virtuosic albums during his career, among them Jan Johansson’s ”Live In Tallinn” from 1966 that I mentioned before in this thread.
    Last edited by Bbmaj7#5#9; 06-17-2019 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Yea, I missed that one. Saw that you posted in a few weeks back in another thread; This is on my must-get list.
    Be forewarned, there are some really poorly done string arrangements that accompany the trio on at least one of the four disks. I got the 4CD set for Louis Stewart, but I stayed for George Shearing.

User Info Menu

whoa! whoa! WHOA!

Zane, I totally overlooked that Bill Charlap album.

Peter Berstein?

Peter Washington?!? He's up there with Christian McBride. DAYUM!

I've been looking for an album where Peter B plays some standards, like he does on all the youtube videos I watch.

Very Noice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    Great that someone mentions Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen!

Off topic: Another recording with NHØP you should watch is ”Just The Way You Are” from 1980. The album is a duo with Swedish bebopmeister guitarist Rune Gustafsson and is available on iTunes. He is with no doubt the most famous jazz guitarist from Sweden ever and recorded a bunch of virtuosic albums during his career, among them Jan Johansson’s ”Live In Tallinn” from 1966 that I mentioned before in this thread.
    Nice to see Rune Gustafsson get a mention. I have only one recording of his; the Pablo Today recording Rune did with Zoot Sims: The Sweetest Sounds. Also, has Bucky Pizzrelli (about the only 'extra' guitar player that adds value as a second guitar in such a situation), George Mraz on bass, and Peter Donald on drums. The producer is Rune Otwerman. Yea, the only recording I have with two guys named Rune!

Fantastic album.

User Info Menu

Nice to see Rune Gustafsson get a mention. I have only one recording of his; the Pablo Today recording Rune did with Zoot Sims: The Sweetest Sounds. Also, has Bucky Pizzrelli (about the only 'extra' guitar player that adds value as a second guitar in such a situation), George Mraz on bass, and Peter Donald on drums. The producer is Rune Otwerman. Yea, the only recording I have with two guys named Rune!

Fantastic album.
    Oh yes, Gustafsson’s and Sims version of ”Stompin' At The Savoy” is incredible. What a piece of art!

Spent a couple of summers listening to these recordings. Perfect summer listening. That guitar-as-percussion thing is just killer. Ray Crawford on this is near perfection for a guitarist in this format.

I think this is the whole thing:

User Info Menu

Peterson Pass Pedersen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Peter Beets' album 'New Groove' features two p-g-b lineups: A Dutch trio with Martijn van Iterson and Ruud Jacobs; a NYC trio with Joe Cohn Reuben Rogers.

I was surprised to find that I enjoy Martin's playing more than Joe's on that record, though they're both great. Beets is new to me, great Dutch pianist.
    My suggestion is "Shining Hour" by Joe Puma, with Red Mitchell and Hod O'Brien. They had a working group for years at Gregory's, and this is their only album they made without a vocalist on it.

User Info Menu

Joe Puma, now that's a name you don't hear too often on the forum!

He played like Bill Evans before playing like Bill Evans on the guitar was cool

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

Ah, beat me to 'em!

Add in (with vocals) John Pizzarellis trio.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    Oh yes, Gustafsson’s and Sims version of ”Stompin' At The Savoy” is incredible. What a piece of art!
    Funny I was going to mention that Stompin was my favorite song on the album (but I wanted to see if anyone else picked Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, ha ha).

User Info Menu

Funny I was going to mention that Stompin was my favorite song on the album (but I wanted to see if anyone else picked Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, ha ha).
    Yes! I read in a Swedish guitar magazine that Gustafsson’s solo album ”Rune At The Top” from 1969 influenced Pat Metheny at a young age, especially the solo part on ”Waltz-A-Nova”.

But wait, weren’t Peter Donald and George Mraz members of John Abercrombie Quartet? If that’s the case I also have an ECM album with them called ”Arcade” from 1979. Guitar, piano, bass and drums. Really cool album too!