The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

It's just opinion of course (and no more than that) but for years I tended to think the best player in the world was Bireli. I have to rethink that with Pasquale around. Metheny was right. NOBODY plays like this. The guy is completely transcending the instrument and actually sounds like Tatum and/or Powel on a guitar.

Here's a recent transcription.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

he's the best guitarist in the world

User Info Menu

I cant listen to him for more than 10 minutes without feeling guilty about not practicing.

That's maybe the highest compliment I can give anybody...he makes me want to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I cant listen to him for more than 10 minutes without feeling guilty about not practicing. That's maybe the highest compliment I can give anybody...he makes me want to play.
    I just marvel at the likes of him and feel very happy I am not pursuing a career in jazz in NY

MVI and JVR have the same effect on me here in the Netherlands. They just reinforce the feeling that I am a happy amateur and have made the right choice just having fun with the guitar and seeing how far it gets me in jazz without all the pressure ...

Interesting topic for a thread by the way. At what point is someone else's virtuosity NOT stimulating anymore.

DB

User Info Menu

Next level Joe Pass...
    awesome!

User Info Menu

Here's the video of that particular performance.

User Info Menu

There's something weird about it... I don't know what exactly but it is weird.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    I just marvel at the likes of him and feel very happy I am not pursuing a career in jazz in NY

MVI and JVR have the same effect on me here in the Netherlands. They just reinforce the feeling that I am a happy amateur and have made the right choice just having fun with the guitar and seeing how far it gets me in jazz without all the pressure ...

Interesting topic for a thread by the way. At what point is someone else's virtuosity NOT stimulating anymore.

DB
    How about it?

In Chicago too...such a small amount of places to play...you gonna hire me or Bobby Broom?

As for the second part of your post, I suppose it's when it becomes virtuosity for the sake of it. I never get that from Grasso...it's still very musical.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=mr. beaumont;960177]
    As for the second part of your post, I suppose it's when it becomes virtuosity for the sake of it.[/QUOTE I can't believe "too technical, leaves me cold" guy hasn't commented yet

User Info Menu

I'll get right on them 32nd note runs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    As for the second part of your post, I suppose it's when it becomes virtuosity for the sake of it.
    I can't believe "too technical, leaves me cold" guy hasn't commented yet
    But where's the emotional out of tune blues bends? And the dive bombs and squeely squeels? Just playing scales fast? COME ON!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarketTomato
    But where's the emotional out of tune blues bends? And the dive bombs and squeely squeels? Just playing scales fast? COME ON!
    On that note, why is it whenever you meet a guitar player who "plays by feel" they inevitably only feel a minor pentatonic scale?

User Info Menu

How about it?

In Chicago too...such a small amount of places to play...you gonna hire me or Bobby Broom?

As for the second part of your post, I suppose it's when it becomes virtuosity for the sake of it. I never get that from Grasso...it's still very musical.
    Bobby is moving to the corn fields, taking over Fareed's academic position at NIU in DeKalb teaching jazz and jazz guitar. Of course, Fareed also taught classical guitar, but no way Bobby is qualified to teach that, I don't think. Fareed was literally in the cornfields for decades and just retired this spring from NIU, ready to tour, tour, record, et al. Everything from his Indian fusion group to classical with string quartet projects, to organ trios. He's really killing it. Also looking to move back into the city.

User Info Menu

On that note, why is it whenever you meet a guitar player who "plays by feel" they inevitably only feel a minor pentatonic scale?
    You've gotta catch 'em on a good day when they're not so sad. Then they play the major pentatonic a minor 3rd up. All about them feelings

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarketTomato
    Hehe Quite so. If you read the comments under clips of chops oriented players such as Pat Martino, Bireli Lagrene, Pasquale Grasso etc. you invariably end up reading some of these yes. "It's only fast scales, too busy, no emotion blah blah."

The point of playing fast is that the great players simply play totally interesting and great stuff on fast tempi too. And all of them are great ballad players when needed. Actually the tempo is pretty irrelevant for them and they remain inventive on any speed. Slow down their fast stuff and it's still all there.

Rick Beato did a great video on the phenomenon of "virtuosity." He concludes with the statement:

It's not HOW fast you play, it's WHAT you play when you play fast.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    The point of playing fast is that the great players simply play totally interesting and great stuff on fast tempi too. And all of them are great ballad players when needed. Actually the tempo is pretty irrelevant for them and they remain inventive on any speed. Slow down their fast stuff and it's still all there.

Rick Beato did a great video on the phenomenon of "virtuosity." He concludes with the statement:

It's not HOW fast you play, it's WHAT you play when you play fast.
    Oh absolutely. I've watched the video a few times now just to even get a simple grasp of what's going on. It's nothing short of beautiful. It's highly virtuosic, but to me, absolutely everything is an underpinning to the melody. Every run, inner voice movement, punctuation of whole-tone/diminished harmony, all serve the song. I don't hear incoherent rambling or gymnastics for its' own sake. While the melody hangs above clearly all throughout, there isn't a single moment where the harmony isn't moving. He's certainly in a class of his own and you've got to appreciate a relatively "new" voice for players to admire.

That being said, great job on the transcription. I look forward to gleaning even the slightest bit of wisdom from this piece.

User Info Menu

I’m going to see him at Mezzrow in NYC on 7/1. I’m really pumped!