Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Wow! How have I not heard him before. Someone on the Chet Baker thread posted the record below with him on it and I was immediately drawn to his playing. Someone school me on what other albums to check out

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One of my favorite players.

The three records he did with Tom Harell are amazing-- I remember you (which is a tribute to Chet) and Moods volume 1 and 2. Just outstanding music, and beautifully recorded.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

He made a good duo record called Twin House, with Larry Coryell:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    He made a good duo record called Twin House, with Larry Coryell:
    I listened to that album a lot in the ‘80s. I had no idea how two people could possibly play like that. Now I at least have an idea. I’ll put it back on my playlist.

User Info Menu

Catherine did an album with Dexter Gordon; Something Different. It is called that since the 'difference' is that Gordon is playing with a guitar trio instead of a piano trio. Since there is no piano to get-in-the-way Catherine's comping can be heard well and he really 'pushes' Gordon (not that he needed any, ha ha). Anyhow fine solos by all and great interplay.

Summer Night is a more recent Catherine effort. Nice album.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 06-05-2019 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I often listen to Philip Catherine Plays Cole Porter - a wonderful album.

User Info Menu

I used to play Dance for Victor a lot back in the day, great song. The chord changes are a bit challenging for improv, but a lot of fun.

User Info Menu

A very versatile player, he also played with Focus:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

He was on a few Kenny Drew albums that are worth having IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200 View Post
    He was on a few Kenny Drew albums that are worth having IMHO.

I have all of those Stepplechase recordings and they are first rate. Drew and Catherine don't step on each other and of course NHOP keeps it all together.

I love all of the Philip Catherine discs with Kenny Drew and NHOP.

But the duets with Bireli are my favorites. In addition to the I'll Remember April tune posted above, there's this one with Aladar Pege on bass.

Philip has the sweetest tone, and Bireli is so utterly inventive.