The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

He was on a few Kenny Drew albums that are worth having IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    He was on a few Kenny Drew albums that are worth having IMHO.

I have all of those Stepplechase recordings and they are first rate. Drew and Catherine don't step on each other and of course NHOP keeps it all together.

I love all of the Philip Catherine discs with Kenny Drew and NHOP.

But the duets with Bireli are my favorites. In addition to the I'll Remember April tune posted above, there's this one with Aladar Pege on bass.

Philip has the sweetest tone, and Bireli is so utterly inventive.

User Info Menu

I consider very myself fortunate to have discovered and purchase a Philip Catherine album called Nairam from the $2.99 cut-out bin at a record store back in 1976. It was a Warner release compiled from tunes off of September Man and Guitars. I didn't have a clue who he was, but the notes on the album back convinced me to buy it.

Damn, that was how you did it back before the internet. Nobody I knew had ever heard about him in '76 when I was first venturing into jazz. I'd been listening to fusion, because that's what 20 something guitarists were doing. Dropped the needle on that record and 2 sides later, my jaw was hanging open. It was one of those serendipitous moments, when you knew that you had heard something very important, and you'd be the one that would be turning your musical peers onto something new and amazing.

It was so fresh and current, and as a fusion player, he was on par or hipper than all the early fusion cats I was hearing then...Abercrombie, McLaughlin, Corryell, Khan, Beck, Bolin, Conners, etc. It was only later, after the fusion thing cooled off and the internet became available that I fully understood what an accomplished bop and straight ahead player he was. What a talent. He was a huge early influence on me to keep at the guitar and jazz. A musical hero.

Here's a taste of what I heard 44 years ago, still relevant today.

User Info Menu

My first experience with Catherine was with the record he made with Larry Coryell “Splendid.” I found this album in a cutout bin back in the mid-80s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Philip Catherine made this album with Grappelli, Coryell and NHOP.

When I first purchased the album I assumed the title was a reference to Coryell but, duh, it was the European Catherine.

User Info Menu

for more ,Informactions ,E_mail ,me , fabiodrummy@gmail.com ,
    copiato-1- CHET BAKER .,tr Live in Hilversum.,1980 - Trio.., Philip Catherine .,cht. + JeanLouis Rossinfoss?.,cb 1980- t.4,,vd.1232,-

User Info Menu

I love Philip. I got the chance to watch him in Belgium where he is from, after the Cole Porter album release. A true master. Guitars two is my favorite album. Very fresh and poetic music. Nothing to see with the fusion recordings he is best known for though.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Please check the full album and let me know what you think …..

User Info Menu

This Video is from my own *,Concerts, Jazz festivals,* collections.,!!. Here is another Live jazz festival from Italy..: PHILIP CATHERINE,cht,.TRIO Live at ''SanRemo'' - Italia Jazz Festival ,1986., Aldo Romano,.dr ,,cb,.?? t,.22'.,vd,1169,3.,- ,

User Info Menu

Three or Four Shades of Blue by Mingus. It has Catherine, Coryell and Scofield on it and is one of the greatest guitar albums ever. Catherine’s solo on Goodbye Porkpie Hat is especially good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I consider very myself fortunate to have discovered and purchase a Philip Catherine album called Nairam from the $2.99 cut-out bin at a record store back in 1976. It was a Warner release compiled from tunes off of September Man and Guitars. I didn't have a clue who he was, but the notes on the album back convinced me to buy it.

Damn, that was how you did it back before the internet. Nobody I knew had ever heard about him in '76 when I was first venturing into jazz. I'd been listening to fusion, because that's what 20 something guitarists were doing. Dropped the needle on that record and 2 sides later, my jaw was hanging open. It was one of those serendipitous moments, when you knew that you had heard something very important, and you'd be the one that would be turning your musical peers onto something new and amazing.

It was so fresh and current, and as a fusion player, he was on par or hipper than all the early fusion cats I was hearing then...Abercrombie, McLaughlin, Corryell, Khan, Beck, Bolin, Conners, etc. It was only later, after the fusion thing cooled off and the internet became available that I fully understood what an accomplished bop and straight ahead player he was. What a talent. He was a huge early influence on me to keep at the guitar and jazz. A musical hero.

Here's a taste of what I heard 44 years ago, still relevant today.

Unbelievable. Honestly, your entire post.... word for word, it could’ve been written by me. Same exact story, the dates, etc. The amazing impact of that album, yes, even on the first listen. Wow, what an album, right?

His playing, his tone, the compositions, his phrasing and that distinctive touch.... Philip Catherine is definitely one guitarist I can always manage to identify within just a few notes, and he is certainly one of my favorite jazz players of all.

A few years later, I was SO lucky to see Philip at My Father’s Place on Long Island, teamed with Larry Coryell on their Back Together Again USA tour with Alphonse Mouzon. Not only did they perform most of that album, including Catherine’s fantastic, frenzied, fusion composition ‘Transvested Express’, but Philip was also given the leader spotlight that evening, performing ‘Homecomings’ and ‘Nairam’. Unfortunately, at least to the best of my knowledge, it seems that he has rarely toured the USA, so I consider myself lucky to have been there that night.

Thanks for sharing your memories. Definitely a huge musical influence and hero for me, too!

User Info Menu

BTW, if you’re as big a fan of the earlier fusionesque direction of Philip’s Nairam period as I am, check out this track on YouTube, ‘Angel Wings’. Phew! The entire song simply drives along between shades of delicacy light and churning darkness, and his solo always leaves me kinda breathless between its nonstop inventiveness and energy.

Last edited by ooglybong; 02-26-2020 at 10:40 PM.