The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

The big band I sometimes sit in with does a series of concerts with the great Philip Catherine (for that occasion they understandably don’t need a second guitar player ;-). They rehearsed today. Philip brought his Godin. I was a bit surprised to see the stickers he is using as position markers.... (but his playing was great!)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Phillip is a current fave - his Cole Porter album is really nice....

User Info Menu

I have that Cole Porter album - it's wonderful.

In some on-stage lighting situations, having big white stickers for fret markers helps a lot...as I know to my embarrassment!

User Info Menu

Looks like Philip got some pretty wood on his Godin's neck...

As for the stickers, I've played some dark places where I could barely see my guitar, so if it works, it works.

Philip's playing is always excellent...tasteful, daring, swinging. An absolute favorite of mine.

User Info Menu

be nice if someone got him some of these neck dot type stickers

cheap and readily available

Philip Catherine-fm-smallcustomdot_2048x2048-jpg

great player..first became hip to him in 70's via larry coryell!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I play a Gretsch thin hollow guitar, and the fret markers are a bit difficult to see in the dark. I used to play a fancy steakhouse/martini bar almost every weekend, and they liked to keep the stage pretty dark. When I was having to read a tune, even just changes, I had a really hard time keeping my place on the fretboard because I couldn't really see it that well peripherally. For that and several other reasons I won't go into that wasn't the most fun gig ever.

User Info Menu

Wow! I've never seen anyone do that before but it obviously works for Philip.

I guess playing a classical guitar with no neck markers for so long kind of got me to the point where I don't need them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    be nice if someone got him some of these neck dot type stickers

cheap and readily available

Philip Catherine-fm-smallcustomdot_2048x2048-jpg

great player..first became hip to him in 70's via larry coryell!!

cheers
    Seeing the fingerboard in the dark can be a huge problem when doing pit work playing musicals.
    I did the The Who's "Tommy" over the summer, and there are no breaks going from one number to the next. There are tons of modulations within each number, and everything is done at pretty quick tempos, with the guitar featured 100% of the time.

If you can't use your peripheral vision when you're reading the music because it's too dark, you're shot. I had to use some glow-in-the- dark gel on the higher frets of my Parker P-44 to get me through the more difficult numbers.
    Do those dots glow in the dark? Where can you find them? TIA

User Info Menu

s- amazon sells'em

https://www.amazon.com/Fretboard-Mar.../dp/B00PGQYQJY

more choices-

Small Custom Dots 1/8" For Fret Side Markers – Inlay Stickers Jockomo

Rosette Ivory Dot Fret Markers (Small Size) pack of 12

don't know about glow in dark..reflective tho!..stew mac has actual dot material that supposedly glows in the dark and it got very bad reviews...

cheers

User Info Menu

Could also just be that transitioning from the 175 that had large split parallelogram Fretboard markers to the smaller dots of the Godin means a little modification was necessary. Iirc, his old Les Paul was a Custom with the full size block inlays, too. Both Gibson’s would have been very visible compared to the Godin.

what a thrill to see him rehearse! A wonderful player.

User Info Menu

Philip travels without and amp so the big band had to provide him an amp. Here’s his list of amps he finds acceptable:

1 GUITAR AMP - You can choose between the following :
    - Fender Deluxe Reverb
    - AER Acousticube 2 ou 3 (100 watts)
    - Trace Elliot Acoustic TAB 100 ( but not TA 100)
    - Marshall JCM 2000 Triple Super lead
    - Peavey KB / A 100
    - Peavy Bandit 112
    - Polytone Minibrut II, III ou IV (100 Watts)
    (are NOT accepted :Fender Twin Reverb or Roland.Jazz Chorus)

And here’s a vid of the rehearsal (sorry, only accessible thru facebook):

Repetitie 29 november 2018 met Philip... - West Coast Big Band | Facebook

User Info Menu

He is a tasteful and masterful player!

I used to put stickers on lutes...

but I felt annoyed with it eventually I got over it... but I did some special focus on it..
    I really thought I did not look at the fretboard untill occasionally I picked a guitar with no dots at all anywhere...

I think the best thing that helps to overcome it is playing in positions - I mean you can do whatever you want - stretching or sliding or whtever - but if you had sometime specifically on positions that helps blind orientation the best.

Disclaimer: that does not make anyone a good player... as well as the opposite.. I am almost sure Wes could not really play blind...))))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Philip travels without and amp so the big band had to provide him an amp. Here’s his list of amps he finds acceptable:

1 GUITAR AMP - You can choose between the following :
    - Fender Deluxe Reverb
    - AER Acousticube 2 ou 3 (100 watts)
    - Trace Elliot Acoustic TAB 100 ( but not TA 100)
    - Marshall JCM 2000 Triple Super lead
    - Peavey KB / A 100
    - Peavy Bandit 112
    - Polytone Minibrut II, III ou IV (100 Watts)
    (are NOT accepted :Fender Twin Reverb or Roland.Jazz Chorus)

Wow! That's a surprise.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Wow! That's a surprise.....
    Haha, yes I was surprised too!

And even more by the clear statement a Twin Reverb is NOT accepted!

User Info Menu

I suspect it's because in order for a Twin to sound any good, you have to turn it up to louder than would sound good in most stage environments. Philip is a pro, he plays to serve the music, not his own ego...he amplifies only to be heard, not to overpower.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I suspect it's because in order for a Twin to sound any good, you have to turn it up to louder than would sound good in most stage environments.
    That's why I never got a Twin Reverb....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    That's why I never got a Twin Reverb....
    A Twin with master volume solves that problem for me. But then there’s the weight.

User Info Menu

Wow! How have I not heard him before. Someone on the Chet Baker thread posted the record below with him on it and I was immediately drawn to his playing. Someone school me on what other albums to check out

User Info Menu

One of my favorite players.

The three records he did with Tom Harell are amazing-- I remember you (which is a tribute to Chet) and Moods volume 1 and 2. Just outstanding music, and beautifully recorded.

User Info Menu

He made a good duo record called Twin House, with Larry Coryell:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    He made a good duo record called Twin House, with Larry Coryell:
    I listened to that album a lot in the ‘80s. I had no idea how two people could possibly play like that. Now I at least have an idea. I’ll put it back on my playlist.

User Info Menu

Catherine did an album with Dexter Gordon; Something Different. It is called that since the 'difference' is that Gordon is playing with a guitar trio instead of a piano trio. Since there is no piano to get-in-the-way Catherine's comping can be heard well and he really 'pushes' Gordon (not that he needed any, ha ha). Anyhow fine solos by all and great interplay.

Summer Night is a more recent Catherine effort. Nice album.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 06-05-2019 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I often listen to Philip Catherine Plays Cole Porter - a wonderful album.

User Info Menu

I used to play Dance for Victor a lot back in the day, great song. The chord changes are a bit challenging for improv, but a lot of fun.

User Info Menu

A very versatile player, he also played with Focus: