The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Looking for all the chet baker with a guitarist prominent. I made a playlist chet baker with guitar on spotify. So i know of most of the steeplechase stuff anything else.

Im from Oklahoma. So learned of chet early from family He really is one of our musical treasures. and people are proud he is from here. be damned the critics and what anyone says about the Man.

as with barney kessel and charlie christian getting his start here. Our little hick state has some jazz players from here.

But that’s pretty much in every genre of music. We got some real idots no doubt. but i was writing out charts in my spare time at work in the break room and a couple of lady co workers ex band nerds from the back in the day were reading them upside down. And making fun of my jody fisher book ive carried everywhere for 15 years. Nothing really to do here.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jim Hall, Concierto (Jim Hall, Paul Desmond, Chet Baker, Roland Hanna, Ron Carter, Steve Gadd).

User Info Menu

By Steeplechase, I assume you mean the stuff with Doug Raney? Man I love that stuff.

Chet did some records with Philip Catherine, Chet's Choice is on Criss Cross, probably the easiest to track down. Great record.

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    Jim Hall, Concierto (Jim Hall, Paul Desmond, Chet Baker, Roland Hanna, Ron Carter, Steve Gadd).
    Thank you my friend im sure i will enjoy this the rest of my life. Old statue head
    asi call it. I didn’t know chet was on that. Thats what digital does. No linear notes. Ive heard it many times. Ive searched alot on the internet but man even jim hall even dont get listed on some of his bill evans stuff. Man so many great gigs back in The day

Did chet ever cross paths with charlie byrd. Just the stan getz connection got me wondering.

User Info Menu

I dont think so...I think Chet was in Europe too often.

Chet's Back has Rene Thomas, and the album entitled "Chet" has Kenny Burrell...I think "Baby Breeze" does too, iirc...

User Info Menu

Lorne Lofsky recorded with Chet Baker but I haven’t been able to find the album.

User Info Menu

Larry Coryell with Wolfgang Lackeshmid (vibes) Tony Williams, and others..

Thanks guys. Like i said im compiling what i can find on spotify. I’ll link it once im done. And im gonna try to find em all on vinyl. Im younger so ive just got in the vinyl collecting game. Again i cant thank you kind people enough thanks for thise who make this site possible

User Info Menu

Chet's in the Oklahoma Hall of Fame. (Also, Roger Miller. He was from Erick, OK) Alexa has a nice selection of Chet.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I found a good Chet CD called "Hallucinations", that features some great playing by Rene Thomas on it. It was recorded live in Cantina/Bologna 15/4/1962.
    A funny story about Chet- I was talking to a Guyanese teacher at the HS I used to teach music at, and when she found out I was into jazz she said to me, "Oh, you play jazz? Did you ever hear of my father? His name was Chet Baker"(!).
    After I regained my composure, I asked her about life with Chet. She said that she didn't see him very much...

User Info Menu

You can't go home again, with Sco

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Lorne Lofsky recorded with Chet Baker but I haven’t been able to find the album.

User Info Menu

Thanks BDLH!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I found a good Chet CD called "Hallucinations", that features some great playing by Rene Thomas on it. It was recorded live in Cantina/Bologna 15/4/1962.
    A funny story about Chet- I was talking to a Guyanese teacher at the HS I used to teach music at, and when she found out I was into jazz she said to me, "Oh, you play jazz? Did you ever hear of my father? His name was Chet Baker"(!).
    After I regained my composure, I asked her about life with Chet. She said that she didn't see him very much...
    I went to school with one of Stan Getz's sons. Guess what he said? "I didn't get to see him very much."

User Info Menu

With Jim Hall.

[1] Malagueña 0.00
    [2] Django 09.41
    [3] Swan Lake 19.40
    [4] All Blues 28.17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I went to school with one of Stan Getz's sons. Guess what he said? "I didn't get to see him very much."
    After reading Getz' biography, I'd say his son was better off that way...

User Info Menu

There's a Baker lp w Barney Kessel, "Albert's House", but it's largely forgettable and I don't believe Barney solos.
    As a matter of fact I couldn't even tell he was on the recording.

yo sgcim, that Hallucinations lp sounds interesting, is it the same personnel as the Chet is Back lp?
    Same time frame as when Chet was playing w Thomas, Bobby Jaspar, etc....

User Info Menu

Do not under any circumstances get ‘Albert’s House’. It ranks as one of the worst Chet Baker LPs ever, along with the ones he did with the ‘Mariachi Brass’.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    There's a Baker lp w Barney Kessel, "Albert's House", but it's largely forgettable and I don't believe Barney solos.
    As a matter of fact I couldn't even tell he was on the recording.

yo sgcim, that Hallucinations lp sounds interesting, is it the same personnel as the Chet is Back lp?
    Same time frame as when Chet was playing w Thomas, Bobby Jaspar, etc....
    No, this one has Geo. Gruntz on piano, K.T. Geyer on Bass, and Eberhard Stengel on drums. The cuts are:
    Our Delight
    Solar
    Pennies From Heaven
    Donna Lee
    Hallucinations
    IMHO, Rene was playing at his best during this time period, and the Live album he made with the Bobby Jaspar Quartet at Ronnie Scott's in 1962 was my fave RT. Great Jaspar, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    IMHO, Rene was playing at his best during this time period, and the Live album he made with the Bobby Jaspar Quartet at Ronnie Scott's in 1962 was my fave RT. Great Jaspar, too.
    Yes, got that one!

Chet baker with guitar albums-bbf6b5b8-11a5-4383-8c19-98bfdf415b3e-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Do not under any circumstances get ‘Albert’s House’. It ranks as one of the worst Chet Baker LPs ever, along with the ones he did with the ‘Mariachi Brass’.

agreed, quite awful. I remember seeing it in the stores back in the day and was intrigued because Kessel is supposedly on it. glad I passed...

User Info Menu

Chet is Back. Has Rene Thomas on guitar.

User Info Menu

with the jazzmaster....user.!!...elvis costello

Chet baker with guitar albums-2cc90667-6447-4627-bb8a-03c9124f98dd-jpg

no audible guitar, but some of chets must dramatic later day playing...really walkin the tightrope ....beauty & dissolution

shipbuilding- one of ec's classics

cheers