Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Saw his show last night here in Orlando. Always thought he was an intriguing musician. Did an Ellington album awhile back with no horns. I read he thought that would be a challenge. For a "pop star" just doing Ellington would be challenge enough. Trained at the Royal Academy of Music in London. The show, music, musicianship, was very impressive. I've played some of his tunes in rock bands and always found the music refreshing from a musician's standpoint. What I noticed though is many of his songs have aged well. I guess that's the mark of good music. He did two covers a Beatles tune and an obscure Steely Dan. Check him out if you get a chance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love Joe Jackson. Stepping Out...my favorite pop song from the early 80's.

When he first came out it seemed he was a punk rocker. Same label that Elvis Costello got tagged with. I guess both those guys showed us.

Catching up with Joe Jackson | The Current
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

A couple of my favorite Joe Jackson numbers.

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

I believe Teddy Kumpel was the guitarist. He had the chops which covered quite a range of styles. Think he's worked with Rickie Lee Jones before as well.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I was a big Joe Jackson fan years ago. Saw him first on the Stepping Out tour. I'm seeing him in a week for the first time in many years. Glad to hear the show is getting good reviews.

User Info Menu

Jumpin' Jive is one of the best albums.

Jumpin jive - YouTube

User Info Menu

I heard the first movement from his symphony #1 a while ago.
    I thought it was great music. The cat obviously knows music.
    I always dug "Steppin' Out".

User Info Menu

joe jackson has benefitted greatly from having the great bassist graham maby in his band...from his very first album, on!...fabulous player

joe's "left" hand man

cheers

User Info Menu

Michael Jackson's father?