The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

A new thread for Frisell fans to share details of his recent and new output as a leader and sideman. There's plenty to keep up with so here's one thread to keep track of it all!

Tiziano Bianchi - 'Relate' (released 10 May 2019 on Dot Time Records)

‘Relate’ is the second album of the Italian trumpet player Tiziano Bianchi. The album was produced by the Japanese/American trumpet legend Tiger Okoshi and features the Grammy Award winner Bill Frisell on guitar.

Artistic Production by Tiger Okoshi.Recorded by Andrea Rovacchi at ‘Sound temple studio’ in Parma, Daniele Bagnoli at ‘Bagnoli Bros Recording Studio’ in Castelnovo ne’ Monti (RE) and Michael Coleman at ‘Figure 8’ in New York City (USA) between September 10th and September 26th 2018.Mixed by Daniele Bagnoli, Tiziano Bianchi and Tiger Okoshi at ‘Bagnoli Bros Recording Studio’ in Castelnovo ne Monti (RE).Mastered by Daniele Bagnoli.Tiziano Bianchi: trumpet, flugelhorn, voice (on Tracks #4 and #6), synth Claudio Vignali: piano, keyboardsEnrico Ferri: celloMarco Frattini: drums, percussion

Last edited by David B; 05-22-2019 at 03:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan - 'Epistrophy' (released 12 April 2019 on ECM)

Like their acclaimed ECM release Small Town of 2017 – which The Guardian called “wistful and mesmerizing… tonally ingenious and haunting” – Epistrophy by guitarist Bill Frisell and bassist Thomas Morgan was recorded at New York City’s Village Vanguard. The new album once again captures the rare empathy these two players achieve together in this intimate environment. There are further poetic takes on pieces from the duo’s Americana songbook (“All in Fun,” “Red River Valley,” “Save the Last Dance for Me”), as well as another intense version of a composition by Paul Motian (“Mumbo Jumbo”), an artist whom both the guitarist and bassist knew well. Frisell and Morgan communicate the essence of Billy Strayhorn’s “Lush Life” and the Frank Sinatra hit “In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning,” so much so that the famous words seem to hang in the air even without a singer. At the center of the album is a pair of pieces by Thelonious Monk: the funky, angular “Epistrophy” and the ruminative ballad “Pannonica.” And as with “Goldfinger” on Small Town, Frisell and Morgan offer a glowing duo interpretation of a melody-rich John Barry title tune from a James Bond film – “You Only Live Twice.”

User Info Menu

Gregory Tardy and Bill Frisell - 'More Than Enough' (May 2019, Newvelle Records)
    Currently vinyl only as part of Newvelle's Season Four subscription set.
    Newvelle Season Four - 2019 Vinyl Subscription – Newvelle Records

Gregory Tardy with Bill Frisell. Greg Tardy was one of the leading lights of the “young lion” scene of the early 1990’s. He performed and recorded extensively in the bands of Elvin Jones and Andrew Hill and has recorded his own highly regarded records for Impulse Records, Steeplechase and Palmetto. Bill Frisell needs no introduction, his history with Greg goes way back and they’ve played together for decades through a couple iterations of Bill’s band, but this is their first duet experience. (May 2019)

The Bill Frisell new and recent releases thread-screenshot-2019-05-22-20-37-17-jpg

User Info Menu

Skúli Sverrisson and Bill Frisell - 'Strata' (2018, Newvelle Records)
    Currently vinyl only as part of Newvelle Records' Season 3 box set.

Skúli Sverrisson and Bill Frisell are releasing their first collaboration. All original music from Skúli, much of it written for Bill. If you are familiar with Skúli and Bill's music, you'll know what you're getting into, a record of uncommon depth and beauty.

User Info Menu

William Tyler - 'Goes West' (released 25 January 2019 on Merge Records)
    Frisell guests on the track 'Our Lady of the Desert'

User Info Menu

Andrew Cyrille, Wadada Leo Smith and Bill Frisell - 'Lebroba' (released 25 October 2018 on ECM)

User Info Menu

Cool thread.

Bill is one of my favorites.

IMO - he's at his best with Joey Baron on drums. Like Coltrane with Elvin and Maha with Billy...
    Last edited by rictroll; 08-20-2019 at 10:22 PM.

User Info Menu

great thread davidB...great info....thanks

have a couple (love the lebroba session) and will look into more...the skuli session is of peak interest!!!...from pachora days

cheers

User Info Menu

Awesome thread. That record with Andrew Cyrille and Wadada Leo Smith is phenomenal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the skuli session is of peak interest!!!...from pachora days
    It's a really nice session. Skúli and Bill have just finished a handful of European dates together. The session is vinyl only for now as part of a box set. I couldn't go for the full set but for Record Store Day only this year, Newvelle were selling titles individually. I sprang for this and a Lionel Loueke standards session. Not cheap but real audiophile quality with beautiful packaging.

After two years, the rights are passed to the artists to re-release as they wish. A couple of Newvelle dates now getting releases elsewhere are Ben Allison, Steve Cardenas and Ted Nash playing Jimmy Giuffree and Jim Hall compositions - out now. A Lionel Loueke/Kevin Hayes duo set is getting a digital/CD re-release on Edition Records later this year.

Right, back to Bill!

User Info Menu

Great thread! Bill is one of only a few players today that I really follow these years.
    He is only getting better and better.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Nice finds Melodic dreamer!

Mai Leisz - 'Metamorphosis' (released 23 April 2019) - Metamorphosis | Mai Leisz
    Bill Frisell guests on the song 'Gregory'

Metamorphosis | Mai Leisz

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwfGVZxgDgm/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

From https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2019/04/26/mai-leisz-and-maigroup-releases-metamorphosis/ : Bassist Mai Leisz has been keeping busy for the past few years playing with David Crosby in his Sky Trails band. Prior to her incredible journey to the U.S. (check out her episode of our Groove Podcast), she was releasing music with her own band, MaiGroup. Now she’s culminated her recent experiences into a new album, aptly entitled Metamorphosis.
    The album features Leisz on fretted and fretless basses, spending equal time between foundational grooves and sublime melodicism. Three special guests make appearances including Crosby, guitar whiz Bill Frisell, and saxophonist Charles Lloyd. Mai’s husband, multi-instrumentalist Greg Leisz, also appears on three tracks, adding to the album’s personal touch. Leisz and Frisell even play a duet on “Gregory,” which they played at her wedding.
    Last edited by David B; 05-25-2019 at 03:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Following the bankruptcy of PledgeMusic, John Zorn's Tzadik label are offering pre-orders for some limited-edition vinyl releases in order to help recoup Tzadik's lost income.

'Nove Cantici Per Francesco D'Assisi'
    NOVE CANTICI PER FRANCESCO D'ASSISI -

TZADIK

A beautiful new suite of John Zorn music performed by the all-star guitar trio of Bill Frisell, Julian Lage and Gyan Riley. Inspired by the life and thought of the beloved spiritual figure Saint Francis of Assisi these ten lovely compositions sound beautiful on vinyl. An essential release that will appeal to perhaps the widest audience Zorn has ever had, this is truly music of the Angels.

The Bill Frisell new and recent releases thread-screenshot-2019-05-25-07-55-54-png

User Info Menu

Keeping this thread up to date with the news that Bill Frisell has signed to Blue Note for the release of his next album as a leader, 'Harmony', this autumn.

http://www.bluenote.com/bill-frisell...out-this-fall/

Harmony is the project Bill has been touring recently with Petra Haden (vocals), Hank Roberts (cello, vocals) and Luke Bergman (baritone guitar, vocals).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Andrew Cyrille, Wadada Leo Smith and Bill Frisell - 'Lebroba' (released 25 October 2018 on ECM)

I like this cd a lot. Bill gets kind of skronky on a few tunes like the sg/rat/vol. pedal using Bill of old.

User Info Menu

Keeping this thread up to date with the news that Bill Frisell has signed to Blue Note for the release of his next album as a leader, 'Harmony', this autumn.

http://www.bluenote.com/bill-frisell...out-this-fall/

Harmony is the project Bill has been touring recently with Petra Haden (vocals), Hank Roberts (cello, vocals) and Luke Bergman (baritone guitar, vocals).

User Info Menu

Grégoire Maret, Romain Collin and Bill Frisell - 'Americana'. (To be released on 24 April 2020 on ACT.)

Last edited by David B; 04-23-2020 at 06:32 AM.

User Info Menu

The Haden Triplets - 'The Family Songbook'. (Released on 24 January 2020.)
    Bill Frisell, Doyle Bramhall and Greg Leisz on guitars.

User Info Menu

A beautiful new suite of John Zorn music performed by the all-star guitar trio of Bill Frisell, Julian Lage and Gyan Riley.

User Info Menu

^ nice..some of my fave frisell, lage, & riley (gyan is the sun of great minimalist and contemporary classical composer-terry riley) recordings have been under the auspices of john zorn

frisells gnostic trio releases among my fave frisells ever.

cheers

User Info Menu

New Bill's album - Valentine.

Bill Frisell - Guitar
    Thomas Morgan - Bass
    Rudy Royston - Drums

Will be released on 14 Aug 2020 on Blue Note Records.

User Info Menu

I love Bill, but I have yet to find a complete album that I could enjoy from start to finish. Any recommendations?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I love Bill, but I have yet to find a complete album that I could enjoy from start to finish. Any recommendations?
    He does so many things. Hard to say without knowing which albums come the closest for you.

For me, an early album that features one of his best bands and collections of original tunes is "Where in the World?", from the early 1990s.

If I was going to recommend something to somebody who mainly listened to traditional jazz, it might be Paul Motian's "On Broadway" Vol. 1-3, or the similar Motian "Bill Evans" tribute (or the Monk tribute)--all from 1988-1991.

For someone really interested in his unique touch on the guitar, and not so interested in his arranging or even composing, the two duo albums recorded in 2016 with bassist Thomas Morgan on ECM (which may be too sleepy or understated for many jazz fans).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I think Bill is sort of relaxed about making an album as an affirming and accomplished statement... besides jazz (and around) players record so much sometimes... it seems like they just record anothe live session and make an album of it...

I like that Bill tries to make every album conceptually integral... and I like his latest records in a small group more than his earlier stuff with bigger groups and so on.

On the other hand I often feel that the stuff is a bit too loose for me...

But I totally enjoyed his solo online recitals I watched live.

The albums I liked most in their integrity were his duos with Thomas Morgan (Small Town and Epistrophy) and I guess I liked it because they are so interactive that it creates lot of... artistic tension...

The Harmony album was nice but it really too loose... like a friendly party you know. They enjoy it - they are nice people - but I am probbaly looking for something more...
    and I am not a fan of Petra Haden... I do not really dig what's so special about her.