The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

If I was going to recommend something to somebody who mainly listened to traditional jazz, it might be Paul Motian's "On Broadway" Vol. 1-3, or the similar Motian "Bill Evans" tribute (or the Monk tribute)--all from 1988-1991.
    They are cool, and Bill's playing is mostly cool there.
    I also love Paul Motian's very melodious drum playing...

but on the other hand I do not dig bassless trios with drums (not all these records are bassless but many I guess?)... I'd rather choose drumless group with bass.

and I do not like drums per se when they become to prominent... I guess I just do not hear them well.

Though Paul is one of those who can make it convincing even for such drum-deaf people like me..

but still at some point it feel like to much of drums there for me

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    but on the other hand I do not dig bassless trios with drums (not all these records are bassless but many I guess?)... I'd rather choose drumless group with bass.
    Only the Monk tribute lacks a bass player, iirc.

The Broadway 1-3 series has Charlie Haden, and the Bill Evans has Marc Johnson. They all have Joe Lovano as a featured soloist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    Only the Monk tribute lacks a bass player, iirc.

The Broadway 1-3 series has Charlie Haden, and the Bill Evans has Marc Johnson. They all have Joe Lovano as a featured soloist.
    Thanks O remembered there was Charlie Hadeb and Joe Lovano ... as for baseless.. I probably mixed it a bit with other Bill's works with Paul... they played a lot in baseless trio with Lovano

User Info Menu

A new video for 'We Shall Overcome' from Bill's forthcoming album, 'Valentine'. The animation is by Bill's daughter Monica, a great photographer.

User Info Menu

nice vid!! inspired song choice! lookin forward..loved the duos with thomas morgan...

bills really got that trem goin..prob the flint?!

thanks david

cheers

User Info Menu

Love anything new from Bill! This is awesome.

User Info Menu

I thought it was time to keep this thread up to date!

I mentioned back in post #4 a duo recording with bassist Skúli Sverrisson. Originally released in 2018 as part of Newvelle Records' Season 3 subscription box set, it made available last month in high-quality digital formats at Bandcamp.

I was fortunate to get a vinyl copy when Newvelle briefly made individual albums available for purchase for Record Store Day. It's great to have the music more widely available. It's a beautiful and thoughtful session.

Bandcamp link: https://skulisverrisson.bandcamp.com/album/strata

User Info Menu

Released in February 2020 and completely under my radar until a few minute is another recording by the acoustic guitar trio of Bill Frisell, Julian Lage and Gavin Riley - 'Virtue', again on Tzadik.

Link: Virtue

User Info Menu

Also under my radar was the October 2020 release of Ron Miles' debut on Blue Note, 'Radio Sign'. A quintet with Bill Frisell, Jason Moran, Thomas Morgan and Brian Blade.

The Bill Frisell new and recent releases thread-ron-miles-album-cover-jpg

User Info Menu

Charles Lloyd and The Marvels - 'Tone Poem' (Blue Note, released March 2021)

User Info Menu

Out next Friday, 27 August, is Andrew Cyrille's 'The News' on ECM.
    With Bill Frisell, Ben Street and David Virelles.

User Info Menu

There was also a new John Zorn feat. Bill Frisell, Gyan Riley & Julian Lage earlier this month on Tzadik: Parables

And back in January, John Zorn- Gnosis: The Inner Light feat. Bill Frisell, John Medeski, Kenny Wollesen & Carol Emanuel. Excellent. The same overall spirit as the numerous earlier Gnostic albums, but with additional Morricone-esque undertones.

OT, but probably worth noting for those interested in the above albums: Tzadik also announces a New Masada Quartet album with Zorn, Julian Lage, Jorge Roeder and Kenny Wollesen, as well as a Miles Okazaki / Dan Weiss / Trever Dunn album. Both should be released in October.
    Last edited by ES125er; 08-20-2021 at 04:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I do not know how much of him can be heard, but Bill Frisell appears on the upcoming posthumous Lyle Mays EP Eberhard.
    The single 13min track will be released on 27 August.

User Info Menu

An update on this thread is overdue!

John Zorn's 'A Garden of Forking Paths'. (Tzadik, released May 2022)
    Welcome to Tzadik

A trio of Julian Lage, Bill Frisell and Gavin Byers.

The Bill Frisell new and recent releases thread-garden-forking-paths-jpg

User Info Menu

Ches Smith - 'Interpret it Well' (Pyroclastic Records, released May 2022)

CDs and digital: Interpret It Well | Ches Smith

Craig Taborn - piano
    Mat Maneri - viola
    Bill Frisell - guitar
    Ches Smith - drums, vibes

The Bill Frisell new and recent releases thread-a0836136585_10-jpg

User Info Menu

Bill Frisell - 'Four' (Blue Note, released November 2022)

User Info Menu

Charles Lloyd - 'Trios: Chapel' (Blue Note, released June 2022)

Charles Lloyd - tenor saxophone
    Bill Frisell - guitar
    Thomas Morgan - bass

User Info Menu

Ben Wendel - 'All One' (Edition Records, released April 2023)
    Bill Frisell appears on the track 'Throughout'.

Edition Records store: Ben Wendel | All One - Edition Records

User Info Menu

Julian Lage - 'The Layers' EP (Blue Note, released March 2023)

Julian Lage - guitar
    Bill Frisell - guitar
    Jorge Roeder - bass
    Dave King - drums

User Info Menu

Ambrose Akinmusire - 'Owl Song' (Nonesuch, released 15 December 2023)

Ambrose Akinmusire - trumpet
    Bill Frisell - guitar
    Herlin Riley - drums

User Info Menu

What are some of your favorite Bill Frisell albums that showcase his unique touch on the guitar, and do you have any specific recommendations for someone who mainly listens to traditional jazz?

User Info Menu

My only concern about Frisell is that he never made a really great album, like, you know, the one you’ve gotta have.

Having said that, Good Dog Happy Man is a good starting point. So is his John Lennon album, or Guitar in the Space Age.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of the album "Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motion", which is a trio recording featuring those three musicians. Theres only a few jazz standards on there, but everything is in the realm of jazz though some are more open and free than others.

Theres also Paul Motion's "On Broadway" Vol 1-3 which are quartet records will Bill Frisell, Paul Motion, Charlie Haden, and Joe Lovano (plus an extra Lee Konitz on Vol 3). Those are most, if not all, standards. Those albums are a little harder to come by since they're not on Spotify, but they are on Youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    My only concern about Frisell is that he never made a really great album, like, you know, the one you’ve gotta have.

Having said that, Good Dog Happy Man is a good starting point. So is his John Lennon album, or Guitar in the Space Age.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    I do not know... I enjoy most of what he does but I am not a big fan of his 'projects' where many players involved and some conceptual stuff... it often sounds to me like as if he puts a lot of meaning into it but to me it still sounds like pop... for example I do not see much sense in playing Have a Little Faith in Me in such a style or his pop music covers in realtively big group with some fancy slide guitars etc.
    Sound like a nice ambient music to me some times...

But I really love his duo, trio and solo works... with Thomas Morgan and Rudy Royston - it is just fantastic.
    Tight, consistent, meaningful...

As a player Bill has outstanding precision, very articulate unique phrasing, time and breath, everything has its own time and place in his playing, everything is authentic. But it really shines in a small group or solo.

In big semi-folk-fusion-projects for me at least these great qualities just drown in quite loose arrangement...
    By the way.. it was the same feeling I had when he played his own compositions on guitar in an interview and they were interesting t listen to... not that it was a great music but really interesting to follow.

and then he said he would try to do it with an orchestra or an ensemble and I thought: or no... it will not work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SumolBoaky
    What are some of your favorite Bill Frisell albums that showcase his unique touch on the guitar, and do you have any specific recommendations for someone who mainly listens to traditional jazz?
    Bill Frisell and Dale Bruning, "Reunion." More traditional.

live At The Barbican 11/15/05, a set of John Lennon tunes.

Sign of Life: Music for 858 Quartet.