The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Just commenting here because I accidentally hid this thread when I commented on the Talent thread.

Listening to the Raneys is a heck of a lot more useful to the craft than lamenting on natural talent.

Do you all think Jon would ever post here?
    Jon's been here before. Whenever someone gets it wrong about Jimmy, he'll be there.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jimmy's tone on "Spring is Here" is among the greatest jazz guitar tone ever recorded IMO. It's very percussive, in a good way.

I concur that Doug's tone was more consistently good (whether from better recording conditions or who knows what).

User Info Menu

not to ever sidetrack great doug raney thread!!!..but...

s- are you talking about the street swingers with brookmeyer, raney and hall? on world pacific?

if so, here's one hall wrote for raney (they were buds...shared halls gibson GA-50 amp on recording dates!!)...i.e. raney day!!

they also did an lp for mainstream records...two jims and zoot..with zoot sims!

& e87- nothing wrong with phillip glass...one of the greatest modern classical composers we have...i used to follow his shows around early on, when he was working with his smaller groups...downtown nyc...chatham square...pre einstein on the beach..he was like a punk band...come in. set up..(he used a yamaha portable organ...the 45)... and go...he drove a cab!..great

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-16-2019 at 10:08 PM.

User Info Menu

cool album. Definitely reminds me of Two Jims and a Zoot.

No, this is the album we're talking about for ol' Jimmy Raney:

You might be able to enlarge the text here:

User Info Menu

If I had a better record player with usb capabilities I'd record it and upload it to Youtube--with Jon's permission, of course.

Unfortunately, I have one of those suit case record players and I don't know the first thing about transferring a record to an Mp3.

If you can find a copy, it's REALLY interesting

Speaking of Philip Glass, you guys ever see this:

Pretty wild, right?