Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 102

User Info Menu

An Update today from Kenny and Katherine Burrell:

A Message from Kenny Burrell

Dear Friends,

I sincerely want to thank all of you who have donated to our
    “Gofundme” request. It is very much needed at this time. Your loving gifts have inspired us to become more giving and respectful of our fellow human beings. As God has shown us, when we help others, we also help ourselves.

In terms of the music, I am extremely grateful for all of your
    expressions of love and appreciation. I feel encouraged to continue to do my best.

I am also so very thankful for the help and care of my loving and
    devoted wife, who has worked hard to maintain a decent life for us, despite my medical setbacks and the legal and financial issues we are facing.

Thank you, everyone, for helping us get through this crisis. We will
    always be grateful to you for your love and caring.

With much love and good wishes,

Kenny Burrell

Update from Kenny and Katherine:

The GoFundMe post described many of the issues facing us, and we would like to specify how your support will help. We will use funds from the campaign to pay for medical expenses related to Kenny's care that aren't covered by insurance. We will also pay credit card bills that have accumulated and become unmanageable. We will use the funds to pay legal bills and put the funds toward any judgment against us, in the event that that occurs. We also will use the funds to stabilize our housing situation, including possible relocation expenses.

Again, we are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support. We cannot thank you enough for your life-changing kindness, compassion, and generosity.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    BTW - let’s all give just a bit more please. Just a guess but having been in very similar circumstances my guess is that the Burrell’s asked for less than they actually need.
    I gave again today. And despite our obvious ideological differences, I 100% endorse this message.

User Info Menu

I am glad to see Kenny getting so much help. Many people want to give back to people who made their life a little less sad.

Also, in my life I am finding out about two brutal money pits for which I should have better prepared. One is the cost of owning a home in Texas. In my lifetime, I have spent thousands on my air conditioning units and will spend thousands more before its all over. The second has been the cost of just living. So many things can go wrong and although I have good insurance, I still have to pay my part. I have spent thousands of my own dollars on health problems and will probably spend thousands more before its all over. But, when I look at the cost my insurance has picked up, I have to say there is no way I could have afforded it and your ol' buddy Alsoran would probably not even be here.

Beware homeowners and those that are aging...

But thankfully, Kenny is able to reap some of the good kharma he has put out to us for so many years.

User Info Menu

Thanks to Dirk/Mark for wiping out the last few soap box pages of this thread, whew, my head was hurting.
    Back to KB!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Thanks to Dirk/Mark for wiping out the last few soap box pages of this thread, whew, my head was hurting.
    Back to KB!
    Agreed. And I'm guilty of contributing to some of those posts, so I'm just as much to blame. Glad to see it cleaned up.

User Info Menu

I've been listening to a lot of my old KB records lately, he sounds the same whether he's playing his 50s P-90 ES-175, L-5's w Christian pu's, DA NYer, or his Super 400s.
    I'm always amazed at the gorgeous sound he gets.

Further proof it's the driver, not the car.

User Info Menu

There's a nice article about KB and his ordeal on NPR news

Facing Homelessness And Crushing Medical Debt, A Renowned Jazz Guitarist Reaches Out : NPR

User Info Menu

It is great that this story has made National news. Jazz guitar is not high up on celebrity radar and most people have no idea who Kenny Burrell is. But thousands of us have contributed (Pat Metheny gave $5,000!) and I think the Burrells will have a soft landing from this crisis.

Kenny Burrell is pretty much the last living legend from the pre-baby-boomer generations of jazz guitarists. At this point, some of the baby-boomer generation jazz guitar legends have passed on (Larry Coryell, John Abercrombie).

I like a good debate about politics and religion as much as anyone, but there is a proper time and place for such debate. Hijacking a thread about helping an elder Statesman of the jazz guitar world to engage in self serving pontification is selfish and rude.

I too give thanks to the moderators for some much needed editing and also for allowing this thread to remain in a category where it arguably does not belong.

User Info Menu

I heard that Robbie Kreiger from the Doors kicked in 5K too, but admit I had to look up what instrument he plays, wasn't sure if it was guitar or keyboards.
    Guess I should've known he played guitar and Ray Manzarek played keyboards, duh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmpmcdermott
    Agreed. And I'm guilty of contributing to some of those posts, so I'm just as much to blame. Glad to see it cleaned up.
    The latest round of discussion seemed reasonably civil to me, and quite interesting, but I get the idea that it was off-topic and could easily have become less civil.

I met Burrell at the 2004 NAMM show at the Heritage booth. That was the year he was captured on video playing a blue KB with Rory Hoffman (who had no idea who he was playing with until after they had played a tune together. It was pretty funny moment) and Henry Johnson. We chatted for awhile - Kenny seemed like a pretty mellow guy. I certainly hope that the financial support allows him to be mellow today and going forward as well.

User Info Menu

That's a great clip. Thanks for posting, HT.

User Info Menu

Helping Kenny is not only a great privilege but also great medicine for your own soul. Kenny Burrell is a gift to the entire world. I am sure that the outpouring of love for Kenny is great medicine for his soul too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I met Burrell at the 2004 NAMM show at the Heritage booth. That was the year he was captured on video playing a blue KB with Rory Hoffman (who had no idea who he was playing with until after they had played a tune together. It was pretty funny moment) and Henry Johnson. We chatted for awhile - Kenny seemed like a pretty mellow guy. I certainly hope that the financial support allows him to be mellow today and going forward as well.
    I believe Rory is blind, for those that did not know.

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    1) that was the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

2) Why do I bother? Perhaps my guitars would make good coffee tables....

User Info Menu

I donated. Seems the tally is closing in on 2x the target, but based on what his wife posted, they'll need it. And more.

Some notable contributors: Donald Fagan, Pat Metheny, Dickie Betts, Robbie Krieger, John Densmore.....
    Last edited by BigBear; 05-16-2019 at 03:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear
    I donated. Seems the tally is closing in on 2x the target, but based on what his wife posted, they'll need it. And more.

Some notable contributors: Donald Fagan, Pat Metheny, Dickie Betts, Robbie Krieger, John Densmore.....
    Love seeing Dickie donate! He's one of my favorite non-jazz guitarists.

Some other notables that I mentioned earlier: John McLaughlin, Joe DeFrancesco, Ahmad Jamal, Branford Marsalis and Jimmy Vivino. Even the Village Vanguard kicked in.

User Info Menu

I haven't been on this site for some time and just came across this news.
    It's staggering; I had no idea.
    I also did a little reading and apparently UCLA provides benefits and other forms of remuneration. What about SS and Medicaid?
    Who knows, man. Sounds awful for KB and his wife to be doing this sort of thing. The indignity of it all.
    What a f-ed up country.

User Info Menu

Nice to see 220.000 $ in 9 days so far..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I've been listening to a lot of my old KB records lately, he sounds the same whether he's playing his 50s P-90 ES-175, L-5's w Christian pu's, DA NYer, or his Super 400s.
    I'm always amazed at the gorgeous sound he gets.

Further proof it's the driver, not the car.
    So true that it's in the hands! I think his tone varies but for sure he sounds like himself on all his records. My personal favorite tone of his, if it's possible to pick one, is on A Night At The Vanguard, particularly the cut I'm A Fool To Want You. Just the most beautiful jazz guitar tone in the world for my ears. Love it!

I kept thinking Super 400 but I believe that's an L5. Doesn't matter anyway, it's him!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I mean, just because you have insurance doesn't mean it's any good...

And while current law doesn't allow for "annual" or "lifetime caps," there's ALWAYS fine print...
    Yep. And in all likelihood does not pay for long-term care or long-term home health care (home nursing, personal care aides, certain equipment, etc.). The government's and insurance companies' rules and policies around these things appear to be actually intended to bankrupt people.

User Info Menu

Donated.
    A small price to pay for what he's done for my playing.

User Info Menu

Just wondering if there are any updates on Kenny Burrell's health problems?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I just checked his FB Page and his last post was on 12/31/19 to wish everyone a Happy New Year.

User Info Menu

Below is from Wiki: I don't have any inside info which is why I said "as viewed by some", above since it wouldn't be right or fair to imply something sinister.

" In 2019, concerns arose about Burrell's well-being and living circumstances as he became increasingly socially and physically isolated in his home and major frictions developed between his wife, Katherine Goodrich, 37 years his junior, and others living in their Westwood, California, apartment building. A GoFundMe account was set up to pay medical bills and other putative expenses, which became controversial because he was covered by medical insurance through employment at UCLA and through Medicare.[13] Subsequently, a letter from Burrell was published, providing a detailed explanation of the situation and justification for the GoFundMe campaign.[14].".

User Info Menu

I care a great deal about Kenny Burrell. However, I don't know him personally. I would love to be able to wish him well, as a fan and as someone whose playing has been deeply influenced by Kenny's. OTOH, I'm comparatively nobody and wouldn't want to bug him.

GT