The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 102

User Info Menu

Interesting article but fails to make a point, only observations. Observations are not a point.

My wife and I were making two solid livings when we had mold issues at our home and related legal charges too. But we didn't have identity theft in the high five figures, on top.

Now, would our employers have been pleased if we had started a crowd funding drive? Probably not, because they might think that wide spread knowledge of it might reflect poorly on them, as they were publicly traded companies and would want the world to see them and all of their employees as white gloved, non-controversial, no-drama, saints.

So, would they have paid for all our troubles? Most certainly not.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 05-11-2019 at 11:22 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Whatever the reasons for this crowdfunding, i wish for the best for Burrell and his family. Even if he was an unknown elderly person in need, like so many everywhere. His music has given us so much joy and inspiration over the years.

User Info Menu

107K right now. I would like to see this gofundme reach a million bucks. That should be enough to see Kenny Burrell get to the end OK.

Jazz is America's gift to the world and Kenny Burrell is a big part of that gift. He should not face poverty in his final years.

America's problems will never be solved by angry partisan rhetoric. They will only get worse. People from both sides of the political aisle should recognize the genius that is Kenny Burrell and lend a hand. In addition, they should find a more appropriate forum to air their political views.

User Info Menu

I coughed up $25 to support Kenny's move to Las Vegas.

User Info Menu

I've put in another $10 so that he can move to Canoga Park.

Just kidding, love to Kenny.

User Info Menu

The comforts of the academy are not what most think they are. Figures vary by source, but between 50-70% of faculty are not on full time, tenure line appointments. Ignore the actual duration of affiliation. Most are technically part time employees (below 0.5 FTE) and are often not benefits eligible. Ignore how much teaching the individual actually does.

I do not know the details of Kenny’s UCLA appointment. (The public record could easily surface this.) But this is the reality for most academics and often doubly so for applied, practice-oriented specialties like performance.

These travails are not hard for me imagine occurring to anyone regardless of stature in their profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

And I forgot to mention: my warmest regards and well wishes for the Burrell family in this time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    I've put in another $10 so that he can move to Canoga Park.

Just kidding, love to Kenny.
    I raise you $11..

User Info Menu

Really glad the target has been reached.

BTW, nobody was targetting any specific nation, rather a type of society. We had all kinds of eviction-related drama going on in Spain after the 2008 crash, as a matter of fact. Made me sick as a human.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Among other acts of generosity, I like the idea of a surge in buying KB's CDs. Somewhere on this forum recently I thought I saw a post about a newly released CD of some old recordings of Kenny, but now I can't find it.
    Not a bad idea except that not much of that money would reach KB. Album sales don't amount to very much for the artist unfortunately. I would say if you want to help Kenny out the donation is the best option.

User Info Menu

I got a message from Gregg De Lorto, someone who has worked closely with Kenny over the years. He conveyed the sad news as well about the financial troubles. Fortunately a lot of money has been raised.

For those who don't know, Gregg had a major stroke years ago and lost his ability to play, even speak. He's recovered. Here's a recent video.

Gregg De Lorto | Oral Histories | NAMM.org

User Info Menu

That was quick, when I donated late last night it was already over $80k

It raises some interesting questions about musicians and recording royalties, I have this nagging suspicion that if half-a-million people went out and bought another copy of Midnight Blue tomorrow Kenny B. wouldn't see a nickle.

As for the whole privileged-academic thing, with the cost of housing even tenure-track faculty in California can't afford to live there.

User Info Menu

$113K in two days from 2.2K people. That is very gratifying, folks. Kenny Burrell has been so influential to virtually all of us on this forum. It is GREAT to see that people responded so well to the call for help.

Now, may Kenny rehab from his injuries. He and my father are the same age. My dad has also been injured from a series of age-related mishaps that has required lots of help/$$/and tincture of time. He has responded well. May Kenny do the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skittles
    The comforts of the academy are not what most think they are. Figures vary by source, but between 50-70% of faculty are not on full time, tenure line appointments. Ignore the actual duration of affiliation. Most are technically part time employees (below 0.5 FTE) and are often not benefits eligible. Ignore how much teaching the individual actually does.

I do not know the details of Kenny’s UCLA appointment. (The public record could easily surface this.) But this is the reality for most academics and often doubly so for applied, practice-oriented specialties like performance.

These travails are not hard for me imagine occurring to anyone regardless of stature in their profession.

Here's what UCLA has to say about this:
    UCLA was unaware of Katherine Burrell’s crowdfunding activity on behalf of herself and husband, Kenny. UCLA is concerned and is looking into the circumstances of this matter. Kenny Burrell is a Distinguished Professor of Music and Global Jazz Studies at UCLA’s Herb Alpert School of Music. Professor Burrell is currently on sabbatical, and is scheduled to return to UCLA for the Spring Quarter in March 2020. He remains a full-time faculty member with related compensation and health benefits.”

User Info Menu

Don't know about UCLA, in many other places faculty on sabbatical are not paid during that time or are paid a much decreased salary.

User Info Menu

Not that it needs confirmation, but the manager of Westwood Music, one of Kenny's haunts, confirmed that the situation is as sad as described for Kenny.

I got a shipment of eight albums, including several multi-CD albums. Some of these are his early playing. I've been listening to them.

He's firmly rooted in blues and has taken it tastefully into complex jazz. I enjoy listening to him a lot. He's clever enough to keep my mind interested and he's melodic enough to hold my heart. Some of his peers, Coltrane and Davis for example, are too complex and require too much concentration for me to relax while listening. They are in an orbit further away that I can appreciate but doesn't feel like home.

Kenny strikes me as someone who can hold a broader audience. Wes Montgomery did the same. He's the last of the most influential jazz guitarists. I love the ambience of a smoky, dark club with cool jazz playing, sipping drinks for hours with a couple of friends. Time could stop then and it would be okay with me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Not that it needs confirmation, but the manager of Westwood Music, one of Kenny's haunts, confirmed that the situation is as sad as described for Kenny.

I got a shipment of eight albums, including several multi-CD albums. Some of these are his early playing. I've been listening to them.

He's firmly rooted in blues and has taken it tastefully into complex jazz. I enjoy listening to him a lot. He's clever enough to keep my mind interested and he's melodic enough to hold my heart. Some of his peers, Coltrane and Davis for example, are too complex and require too much concentration for me to relax while listening. They are in an orbit further away that I can appreciate but doesn't feel like home.

Kenny strikes me as someone who can hold a broader audience. Wes Montgomery did the same. He's the last of the most influential jazz guitarists. I love the ambience of a smoky, dark club with cool jazz playing, sipping drinks for hours with a couple of friends. Time could stop then and it would be okay with me.
    As I have posted in other threads, the older I get, the more I like Kenny Burrell. I feel lucky that I have seen him live many times over the years. I have at least a dozen of his albums. One of my favorites is a live album entitled "Man at Work".

My favorite Kenny Burrell story comes from a biography of Stevie Ray Vaughn. The story goes that at the height of his popularity, Stevie Ray was doing a concert in Detroit at Tiger stadium. Stevie was told that Detroit native Kenny Burrell was also in town playing a local jazz club. Stevie cut his concert short to catch Kenny's last set and asked the manager of the jazz club if he could be introduced to Kenny Burrell to obtain his autograph.

That is the kind of giant of the guitar that Kenny Burrell is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    My favorite Kenny Burrell story comes from a biography of Stevie Ray Vaughn. The story goes that at the height of his popularity, Stevie Ray was doing a concert in Detroit at Tiger stadium. Stevie was told that Detroit native Kenny Burrell was also in town playing a local jazz club. Stevie cut his concert short to catch Kenny's last set and asked the manager of the jazz club if he could be introduced to Kenny Burrell to obtain his autograph.

That is the kind of giant of the guitar that Kenny Burrell is.
    Well how did the story end?????? I always wondered if Stevie got to meet Kenny, knowing how much Stevie liked him and seemed to be headed that direction himself ("Riviera Paradise" many believe was an indication of "what could have been" had Stevie lived...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Well how did the story end?????? I always wondered if Stevie got to meet Kenny, knowing how much Stevie liked him and seemed to be headed that direction himself ("Riviera Paradise" many believe was an indication of "what could have been" had Stevie lived...)
    Stevie playing Chitlins con Carne is one of the best tracks he ever cut, IMO. Great guitarists usually recognize greatness among their peers.

User Info Menu

?As of now it is at $144,415.00

User Info Menu

Here's an update from the Jazz Times.

And folks, let's be civil in our discussions. Hopefully none of us will ever have to deal with the kind of events the great Kenny Burrell has and continues to endure. Wishing the best to this giant of the jazz world.

GoFundMe Page Launched to Support Kenny Burrell in Time of Need

User Info Menu

146k so far from the gofundme and UCLA is stepping up with some help (hopefully). It looks like things will turn out OK for this living jazz guitar legend.

The only thing that is certain regarding the political debate about American healthcare is that this thread is not the place to debate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    146k so far from the gofundme and UCLA is stepping up with some help (hopefully). It looks like things will turn out OK for this living jazz guitar legend.

The only thing that is certain regarding the political debate about American healthcare is that this thread is not the place to debate it.

I'm glad to see this still rising. I'm also a little curious about UCLA's statement. They made a point to say he had full medical benefits, I mean it sounded a little bit like they also didn't understand how or why this was happening. It does sound like this was something that snowballed out of control.

As for the place for debate? I'm tired of being told when and where the place for debate is. A mass shooting happens and we're told, "Now's not the time to talk about guns". A legend like Burrell is crippled by medical costs and "Don't talk about healthcare here".

Now is precisely the time to talk about the failings of our system. Understand again, this wouldn't have happened in any other civilized society. Our failings are decidedly American....you don't have to look far to see how other countries have handled it, and yet we refuse to take action because "We're the greatest country on Earth!" and we don't take direction from others. It's ludicrous and we have the ability to fix it.

User Info Menu

I donated this morning. I would do the same for any of you if I became aware of it. I welcome the opportunity to help in any way I can.

The goal is well surpassed. But who cares as no one should be stress by money issues at this point in their life. The need for quality of life is at it's highest at this point in his life. Here's to Kenny getting back to work in 2020 when his sabbatical ends. Who agrees?

User Info Menu

BTW - let’s all give just a bit more please. Just a guess but having been in very similar circumstances my guess is that the Burrell’s asked for less than they actually need.