The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 102

User Info Menu

I can understand the varying points of view here.

Lots of people become strapped because of medical bills, and couldn't expect much success in starting a GoFundMe drive, like a celebrity can/could.

But then, the Burrell's listed some other drivers for the need as well. Identity theft and related issues. I must admit that I didn't understand the linkage to mold remediation issues, though. Whatever, I gave some.

And then the usual trashing of America started.

Well, Burrell is 85 so is eligible for Medicare, is he not? Whether he has a Medicare supplement is a valid question (for him, not us), as everyone should. But they aren't free of course. And finally, some folks are calling for "Medicare for all" as the grand answer to America's healthcare challenges. Well folks, take a good look. So maybe they should change it to "Medicare plus a Medicare Supplement for all". All to be funded by GoFundMe (not). Food for thought, but I'll stop here.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    And finally, some folks are calling for "Medicare for all" as the grand answer to America's healthcare challenges.
    Well you make it sound like "Medicare for all" is some unattainable magic or something. There are many similarly developed countries that have achieved medicare for all. Some believe the US to be the greatest country in the world. Then it should be no big deal for US to deliver what the lousy Canadian's were able to do many decades ago
    Just saying.

Edit: I might add, despite what you might hear in some news sources, Canadians are overwhelmingly in favor of public healthcare. Even the Conservative party fully supports it. (In Canada 4 of the 5 major parties are progressive leaning so the other 4 also certainly support it.)

User Info Menu

Here’s an update from JazzTimes which includes a statement from the Jazz Foundation of America: GoFundMe Page Launched to Support Kenny Burrell in Time of Need. It verifies the very unfortunate situation that Kenny and his wife are experiencing.

User Info Menu

I don't use them but aren't Thomastics about $25-30 a set?
    If you use them just leave your current set on longer and consider donating that to the fund.
    Folks, it's a pack of strings....

User Info Menu

What happened? Any news reports of the injury and its extent? Frequently, the injured in CA seek bloodsucking lawyers to sue someone when in financial need. I could not find anything.

User Info Menu

I find it baffling that a musician, especially a jazz musician, can be a social conservative.

And lest it seem I comment off topic, I have donated.

User Info Menu

This is about helping Kenny Burrell not about your world views. Kenny is a jazz icon and a great and humble man. He gave me great advice when I was a puppy. A true gentleman. This thread is all about Kenny. Pay up or shut up.

User Info Menu

Part of the statement from The Jazz Foundation indicates that Kenny and Katherine tried dealing with this themselves and, ultimately, the Foundation recommended the GoFundMe page. So this wasn't a case of celebrity entitlement, as someone posted earlier. Not that I ever thought it was to begin with.

“Kenny and Katherine had been dealing with this situation alone for several years, because, as always, musicians are proud and self-reliant and do things on their own. They did not even contact us to ask for help but were referred by friends.

“The Jazz Foundation assessed the case, conferred with other helping organizations, and reviewed documents attesting to the financial need described in the GoFundMe post.

“We couldn’t possibly cover the full scope of the need, and other sources of funding were explored, including a GoFundMe campaign, given how successful and lifesaving they have proven for fellow musicians.

GoFundMe Page Launched to Support Kenny Burrell in Time of Need

User Info Menu

Is there anything we can do as a community to help out? Could we do, for example, a Twitch stream of folks interpreting Midnight Blue and other material while seeking contributions or something similar? I'm 56 so out on a limb here...

User Info Menu

Shitty health care and a legalistic US corrupt banking system.... great combo. (Full disclosure...I'm a banker...don't hate me)...

User Info Menu

The good news is, in one day they have earned $83K of the $100K so it looks like they'll make it easily. I assume that they already have the $83K, or will very soon? Great!

Now somewhere in one of these threads I believe someone said that they live in Westwood? (which is very close to UCLA). Ahem. Nice area. Do you guys know Westwood? No, you don't know Westwood. You might want to check it out.

When I lived in LA decades ago I lived in the (lowly) valley, but got around. Once when in Westwood I saw Rod Stewart at an intersection on Wilshire near all those "apartments", in the drivers seat of his classic white Rolls Royce.

These days, I occasionally drive from LAX through Westwood on my way to Beverly Hills (very, very close).

Like I said, nice area.

User Info Menu

If there's not a "Concert for Kenny" being organized right now, then I don't know what to think. Isn't one of the Marsalis brothers the director of the Kennedy Center or some sorts along those lines?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    If there's not a "Concert for Kenny" being organized right now, then I don't know what to think. Isn't one of the Marsalis brothers the director of the Kennedy Center or some sorts along those lines?
    Wynton runs Jazz at Lincoln Center. And I agree, someone put on a concert!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    The good news is, in one day they have earned $83K of the $100K so it looks like they'll make it easily. I assume that they already have the $83K, or will very soon? Great!
    As I understand it, they get the money only when the goal is met. If they do not meet the goal, they do not get the money. Or maybe that's a Kickstarter thing.

I'm reminded of the campaign done for Allan Holdsworth's family; after he died, his kids did not have enough money to bury him and tried to raise $18,000. They turned off the campaign when it reached over $100,000.

User Info Menu

Making money in the entertainment industry is hard, very hard. Most can't succeed. Even talent takes you only so far. Many employed, productive musicians live on the edge. Some of the most commercially active and successful players were in the Wrecking Crew. Few made big bucks yet cut gold records.

Jazz players can work hard and even much harder for modest incomes. Some genres, like polka for example, must be even worse off.

In Kenny's case, he lived much longer than most. Most in his age group do struggle. They can do less for themselves and therefore have higher expenses to get others to do that work. Medicare generally covers only 80% of medical care. Some prescriptions aren't covered at all. He may need expensive trifocal glasses and hearing aids. He also may need help going to the store. Perhaps he can't drive.

After an injury there can be necessary accommodations at home such as handrails, special toilets, lifts and more. Those can cost many thousands.

We took care of my father-in-law who passed away a couple of months ago at 94. Even though he was pretty healthy, he was dependent on us to be there about four hours a day plus manage his bills, taxes, shopping, driving and the like. Dental and medical care was costly but not astronomical. Home assistance for routine care and safety would have cost a few hundred a day.

It's easy to see how someone in his mid to late 80s could deplete his savings even without a major injury.

When social security was enacted many years ago, the age of eligibility was 65. The lifespan beyond that age on average was two years. You can see where the math leads. Kenny is 22 years past eligibility. He was financially productive long past that. But at some point your expenses exceed your savings and the clock ticks as his resources deplete.

Healthcare cost is an important problem. The loss of social and family support is another one that gets less ink. For millennia the elderly were highly honored and well cared for by clan. Modernity has put a stake in the heart of that obligation. This duty somehow is expected to be handled by others, particularly the state. This troubles me.

Personally I'd like to see Kenny's album sales go through the roof the next few weeks as a tribute to him. He's earned those sales. Buying his works provides a dignified support for him. I'd also like to see tribute concerts to help him in which he could participate in some way. There's nothing wrong with straight donations through GoFundMe either. But if I were Kenny, and this is just me, I'd like to have my albums sell out in a hurry as a sign of love and respect.

I'll end this here.
    Last edited by Marty Grass; 05-11-2019 at 09:50 AM.

User Info Menu

MG, I am at the parking lot at ShopRite and I just read this on my phone.
    One of the best posts ever on JGF.
    EVERY word should be read by people who are getting up there. Outstanding.
    If I might add, live now, die later.

JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Wouldn't it be more practical to just buy his music? That is why it seems like a scam to me. Why supporters would not get music in exchange for monetary contribution seems odd when his discography includes 58 titles as leader and 186 titles as sideman.
    If I go buy Midnight Blue right now, how much of that $10 or $15 do you think Kenny sees? And how long before he even gets the royalties check?

Edit: For the record, I own Midnight Blue. Bought it on CD when I was in high school and digitally once that became the standard.

User Info Menu

He would get pennies per album sold, and he can't give away the music to donors because he doesn't own it, the music companies do. Buying Kenny Burrell albums is not the answer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    He would get pennies per album sold, and he can't give away the music to donors because he doesn't own it, the music companies do. Buying Kenny Burrell albums is not the answer.
    Exactly.

User Info Menu

He's writing two books. Buying them should help.

User Info Menu

Goal met. $100,795.00. Two days.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    Interesting, UCLA is quite embarrassed by this activity. It's about their reputation too.

User Info Menu

I don't know the music business as well as many here. I do see that he's cut seven albums since 2001. I hope he had a decent contract with royalties since at least that date, preferably longer. If not, something is horribly wrong with his management. The royalties won't make it to his wallet quickly regardless. But album sales are a great way of showing you care.

This may be a tangent. When I go to concerts I often notice that there are empty seats, more than years ago. There seems to be less support for live events now. Weddings commonly have DJs instead of bands. The point is that it looks to me that we as a culture want our art on the cheap and convenient. Streamed videos and music are not the same commitment to the artist or the arts.

I'm not a manager or entrepreneur, but it seems to me that many musicians and fans would pay an extra $25 to have a signed copy of one of his albums. If I could swing it, I'd get a couple of cases of his CDs, bring them to his apartment, have him sign them, and sell them through his facebook page or elsewhere. I'd pay $50 for him to personalize it as a gift to a friend.

I'm not ashamed to say I got a collection of signed pics from all of the stars of Justified as a present for my wife. Yes, each star made good money for a quick signature. Years later, they still bring a smile to our faces and was money well spent IMO.

Nothing is wrong with GoFundMe, especially in a crunch. There are other ways also to show support.

User Info Menu

Among other acts of generosity, I like the idea of a surge in buying KB's CDs. Somewhere on this forum recently I thought I saw a post about a newly released CD of some old recordings of Kenny, but now I can't find it.

Can someone help clear my befuddled brain on this? I want to drop some change on some CDs of Kenny to round out my already large collection and hopefully help a bit that way.