Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 51 to 100 of 102
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Interesting article but fails to make a point, only observations. Observations are not a point.

    My wife and I were making two solid livings when we had mold issues at our home and related legal charges too. But we didn't have identity theft in the high five figures, on top.

    Now, would our employers have been pleased if we had started a crowd funding drive? Probably not, because they might think that wide spread knowledge of it might reflect poorly on them, as they were publicly traded companies and would want the world to see them and all of their employees as white gloved, non-controversial, no-drama, saints.

    So, would they have paid for all our troubles? Most certainly not.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 05-11-2019 at 11:22 AM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    Whatever the reasons for this crowdfunding, i wish for the best for Burrell and his family. Even if he was an unknown elderly person in need, like so many everywhere. His music has given us so much joy and inspiration over the years.

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    107K right now. I would like to see this gofundme reach a million bucks. That should be enough to see Kenny Burrell get to the end OK.

    Jazz is America's gift to the world and Kenny Burrell is a big part of that gift. He should not face poverty in his final years.

    America's problems will never be solved by angry partisan rhetoric. They will only get worse. People from both sides of the political aisle should recognize the genius that is Kenny Burrell and lend a hand. In addition, they should find a more appropriate forum to air their political views.

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    I coughed up $25 to support Kenny's move to Las Vegas.

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    I've put in another $10 so that he can move to Canoga Park.

    Just kidding, love to Kenny.

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    The comforts of the academy are not what most think they are. Figures vary by source, but between 50-70% of faculty are not on full time, tenure line appointments. Ignore the actual duration of affiliation. Most are technically part time employees (below 0.5 FTE) and are often not benefits eligible. Ignore how much teaching the individual actually does.

    I do not know the details of Kenny’s UCLA appointment. (The public record could easily surface this.) But this is the reality for most academics and often doubly so for applied, practice-oriented specialties like performance.

    These travails are not hard for me imagine occurring to anyone regardless of stature in their profession.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    And I forgot to mention: my warmest regards and well wishes for the Burrell family in this time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    I've put in another $10 so that he can move to Canoga Park.

    Just kidding, love to Kenny.
    I raise you $11..

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Really glad the target has been reached.

    BTW, nobody was targetting any specific nation, rather a type of society. We had all kinds of eviction-related drama going on in Spain after the 2008 crash, as a matter of fact. Made me sick as a human.

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Among other acts of generosity, I like the idea of a surge in buying KB's CDs. Somewhere on this forum recently I thought I saw a post about a newly released CD of some old recordings of Kenny, but now I can't find it.
    Not a bad idea except that not much of that money would reach KB. Album sales don't amount to very much for the artist unfortunately. I would say if you want to help Kenny out the donation is the best option.

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    I got a message from Gregg De Lorto, someone who has worked closely with Kenny over the years. He conveyed the sad news as well about the financial troubles. Fortunately a lot of money has been raised.

    For those who don't know, Gregg had a major stroke years ago and lost his ability to play, even speak. He's recovered. Here's a recent video.

    Gregg De Lorto | Oral Histories | NAMM.org

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    That was quick, when I donated late last night it was already over $80k

    It raises some interesting questions about musicians and recording royalties, I have this nagging suspicion that if half-a-million people went out and bought another copy of Midnight Blue tomorrow Kenny B. wouldn't see a nickle.

    As for the whole privileged-academic thing, with the cost of housing even tenure-track faculty in California can't afford to live there.

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    $113K in two days from 2.2K people. That is very gratifying, folks. Kenny Burrell has been so influential to virtually all of us on this forum. It is GREAT to see that people responded so well to the call for help.

    Now, may Kenny rehab from his injuries. He and my father are the same age. My dad has also been injured from a series of age-related mishaps that has required lots of help/$$/and tincture of time. He has responded well. May Kenny do the same.

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by skittles
    The comforts of the academy are not what most think they are. Figures vary by source, but between 50-70% of faculty are not on full time, tenure line appointments. Ignore the actual duration of affiliation. Most are technically part time employees (below 0.5 FTE) and are often not benefits eligible. Ignore how much teaching the individual actually does.

    I do not know the details of Kenny’s UCLA appointment. (The public record could easily surface this.) But this is the reality for most academics and often doubly so for applied, practice-oriented specialties like performance.

    These travails are not hard for me imagine occurring to anyone regardless of stature in their profession.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here's what UCLA has to say about this:
    UCLA was unaware of Katherine Burrell’s crowdfunding activity on behalf of herself and husband, Kenny. UCLA is concerned and is looking into the circumstances of this matter. Kenny Burrell is a Distinguished Professor of Music and Global Jazz Studies at UCLA’s Herb Alpert School of Music. Professor Burrell is currently on sabbatical, and is scheduled to return to UCLA for the Spring Quarter in March 2020. He remains a full-time faculty member with related compensation and health benefits.”

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    Don't know about UCLA, in many other places faculty on sabbatical are not paid during that time or are paid a much decreased salary.

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Not that it needs confirmation, but the manager of Westwood Music, one of Kenny's haunts, confirmed that the situation is as sad as described for Kenny.

    I got a shipment of eight albums, including several multi-CD albums. Some of these are his early playing. I've been listening to them.

    He's firmly rooted in blues and has taken it tastefully into complex jazz. I enjoy listening to him a lot. He's clever enough to keep my mind interested and he's melodic enough to hold my heart. Some of his peers, Coltrane and Davis for example, are too complex and require too much concentration for me to relax while listening. They are in an orbit further away that I can appreciate but doesn't feel like home.

    Kenny strikes me as someone who can hold a broader audience. Wes Montgomery did the same. He's the last of the most influential jazz guitarists. I love the ambience of a smoky, dark club with cool jazz playing, sipping drinks for hours with a couple of friends. Time could stop then and it would be okay with me.

  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Not that it needs confirmation, but the manager of Westwood Music, one of Kenny's haunts, confirmed that the situation is as sad as described for Kenny.

    I got a shipment of eight albums, including several multi-CD albums. Some of these are his early playing. I've been listening to them.

    He's firmly rooted in blues and has taken it tastefully into complex jazz. I enjoy listening to him a lot. He's clever enough to keep my mind interested and he's melodic enough to hold my heart. Some of his peers, Coltrane and Davis for example, are too complex and require too much concentration for me to relax while listening. They are in an orbit further away that I can appreciate but doesn't feel like home.

    Kenny strikes me as someone who can hold a broader audience. Wes Montgomery did the same. He's the last of the most influential jazz guitarists. I love the ambience of a smoky, dark club with cool jazz playing, sipping drinks for hours with a couple of friends. Time could stop then and it would be okay with me.
    As I have posted in other threads, the older I get, the more I like Kenny Burrell. I feel lucky that I have seen him live many times over the years. I have at least a dozen of his albums. One of my favorites is a live album entitled "Man at Work".

    My favorite Kenny Burrell story comes from a biography of Stevie Ray Vaughn. The story goes that at the height of his popularity, Stevie Ray was doing a concert in Detroit at Tiger stadium. Stevie was told that Detroit native Kenny Burrell was also in town playing a local jazz club. Stevie cut his concert short to catch Kenny's last set and asked the manager of the jazz club if he could be introduced to Kenny Burrell to obtain his autograph.

    That is the kind of giant of the guitar that Kenny Burrell is.

  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    My favorite Kenny Burrell story comes from a biography of Stevie Ray Vaughn. The story goes that at the height of his popularity, Stevie Ray was doing a concert in Detroit at Tiger stadium. Stevie was told that Detroit native Kenny Burrell was also in town playing a local jazz club. Stevie cut his concert short to catch Kenny's last set and asked the manager of the jazz club if he could be introduced to Kenny Burrell to obtain his autograph.

    That is the kind of giant of the guitar that Kenny Burrell is.
    Well how did the story end?????? I always wondered if Stevie got to meet Kenny, knowing how much Stevie liked him and seemed to be headed that direction himself ("Riviera Paradise" many believe was an indication of "what could have been" had Stevie lived...)

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Well how did the story end?????? I always wondered if Stevie got to meet Kenny, knowing how much Stevie liked him and seemed to be headed that direction himself ("Riviera Paradise" many believe was an indication of "what could have been" had Stevie lived...)
    Stevie playing Chitlins con Carne is one of the best tracks he ever cut, IMO. Great guitarists usually recognize greatness among their peers.

  21. #70

    User Info Menu

    ?As of now it is at $144,415.00

  22. #71

    User Info Menu

    Here's an update from the Jazz Times.

    And folks, let's be civil in our discussions. Hopefully none of us will ever have to deal with the kind of events the great Kenny Burrell has and continues to endure. Wishing the best to this giant of the jazz world.

    GoFundMe Page Launched to Support Kenny Burrell in Time of Need

  23. #72

    User Info Menu

    146k so far from the gofundme and UCLA is stepping up with some help (hopefully). It looks like things will turn out OK for this living jazz guitar legend.

    The only thing that is certain regarding the political debate about American healthcare is that this thread is not the place to debate it.

  24. #73

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    146k so far from the gofundme and UCLA is stepping up with some help (hopefully). It looks like things will turn out OK for this living jazz guitar legend.

    The only thing that is certain regarding the political debate about American healthcare is that this thread is not the place to debate it.

    I'm glad to see this still rising. I'm also a little curious about UCLA's statement. They made a point to say he had full medical benefits, I mean it sounded a little bit like they also didn't understand how or why this was happening. It does sound like this was something that snowballed out of control.

    As for the place for debate? I'm tired of being told when and where the place for debate is. A mass shooting happens and we're told, "Now's not the time to talk about guns". A legend like Burrell is crippled by medical costs and "Don't talk about healthcare here".

    Now is precisely the time to talk about the failings of our system. Understand again, this wouldn't have happened in any other civilized society. Our failings are decidedly American....you don't have to look far to see how other countries have handled it, and yet we refuse to take action because "We're the greatest country on Earth!" and we don't take direction from others. It's ludicrous and we have the ability to fix it.

  25. #74

    User Info Menu

    I donated this morning. I would do the same for any of you if I became aware of it. I welcome the opportunity to help in any way I can.

    The goal is well surpassed. But who cares as no one should be stress by money issues at this point in their life. The need for quality of life is at it's highest at this point in his life. Here's to Kenny getting back to work in 2020 when his sabbatical ends. Who agrees?

  26. #75

    User Info Menu

    BTW - let’s all give just a bit more please. Just a guess but having been in very similar circumstances my guess is that the Burrell’s asked for less than they actually need.

  27. #76

    User Info Menu

    An Update today from Kenny and Katherine Burrell:

    A Message from Kenny Burrell

    Dear Friends,

    I sincerely want to thank all of you who have donated to our
    “Gofundme” request. It is very much needed at this time. Your loving gifts have inspired us to become more giving and respectful of our fellow human beings. As God has shown us, when we help others, we also help ourselves.

    In terms of the music, I am extremely grateful for all of your
    expressions of love and appreciation. I feel encouraged to continue to do my best.

    I am also so very thankful for the help and care of my loving and
    devoted wife, who has worked hard to maintain a decent life for us, despite my medical setbacks and the legal and financial issues we are facing.

    Thank you, everyone, for helping us get through this crisis. We will
    always be grateful to you for your love and caring.

    With much love and good wishes,

    Kenny Burrell

    Update from Kenny and Katherine:

    The GoFundMe post described many of the issues facing us, and we would like to specify how your support will help. We will use funds from the campaign to pay for medical expenses related to Kenny's care that aren't covered by insurance. We will also pay credit card bills that have accumulated and become unmanageable. We will use the funds to pay legal bills and put the funds toward any judgment against us, in the event that that occurs. We also will use the funds to stabilize our housing situation, including possible relocation expenses.

    Again, we are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support. We cannot thank you enough for your life-changing kindness, compassion, and generosity.

  28. #77

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    BTW - let’s all give just a bit more please. Just a guess but having been in very similar circumstances my guess is that the Burrell’s asked for less than they actually need.
    I gave again today. And despite our obvious ideological differences, I 100% endorse this message.

  29. #78

    User Info Menu

    I am glad to see Kenny getting so much help. Many people want to give back to people who made their life a little less sad.

    Also, in my life I am finding out about two brutal money pits for which I should have better prepared. One is the cost of owning a home in Texas. In my lifetime, I have spent thousands on my air conditioning units and will spend thousands more before its all over. The second has been the cost of just living. So many things can go wrong and although I have good insurance, I still have to pay my part. I have spent thousands of my own dollars on health problems and will probably spend thousands more before its all over. But, when I look at the cost my insurance has picked up, I have to say there is no way I could have afforded it and your ol' buddy Alsoran would probably not even be here.

    Beware homeowners and those that are aging...

    But thankfully, Kenny is able to reap some of the good kharma he has put out to us for so many years.

  30. #79

    User Info Menu

    Thanks to Dirk/Mark for wiping out the last few soap box pages of this thread, whew, my head was hurting.
    Back to KB!

  31. #80

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Thanks to Dirk/Mark for wiping out the last few soap box pages of this thread, whew, my head was hurting.
    Back to KB!
    Agreed. And I'm guilty of contributing to some of those posts, so I'm just as much to blame. Glad to see it cleaned up.

  32. #81

    User Info Menu

    I've been listening to a lot of my old KB records lately, he sounds the same whether he's playing his 50s P-90 ES-175, L-5's w Christian pu's, DA NYer, or his Super 400s.
    I'm always amazed at the gorgeous sound he gets.

    Further proof it's the driver, not the car.

  33. #82

    User Info Menu

    There's a nice article about KB and his ordeal on NPR news

    Facing Homelessness And Crushing Medical Debt, A Renowned Jazz Guitarist Reaches Out : NPR

  34. #83

    User Info Menu

    It is great that this story has made National news. Jazz guitar is not high up on celebrity radar and most people have no idea who Kenny Burrell is. But thousands of us have contributed (Pat Metheny gave $5,000!) and I think the Burrells will have a soft landing from this crisis.

    Kenny Burrell is pretty much the last living legend from the pre-baby-boomer generations of jazz guitarists. At this point, some of the baby-boomer generation jazz guitar legends have passed on (Larry Coryell, John Abercrombie).

    I like a good debate about politics and religion as much as anyone, but there is a proper time and place for such debate. Hijacking a thread about helping an elder Statesman of the jazz guitar world to engage in self serving pontification is selfish and rude.

    I too give thanks to the moderators for some much needed editing and also for allowing this thread to remain in a category where it arguably does not belong.

  35. #84

    User Info Menu

    I heard that Robbie Kreiger from the Doors kicked in 5K too, but admit I had to look up what instrument he plays, wasn't sure if it was guitar or keyboards.
    Guess I should've known he played guitar and Ray Manzarek played keyboards, duh.

  36. #85

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rmpmcdermott
    Agreed. And I'm guilty of contributing to some of those posts, so I'm just as much to blame. Glad to see it cleaned up.
    The latest round of discussion seemed reasonably civil to me, and quite interesting, but I get the idea that it was off-topic and could easily have become less civil.

    I met Burrell at the 2004 NAMM show at the Heritage booth. That was the year he was captured on video playing a blue KB with Rory Hoffman (who had no idea who he was playing with until after they had played a tune together. It was pretty funny moment) and Henry Johnson. We chatted for awhile - Kenny seemed like a pretty mellow guy. I certainly hope that the financial support allows him to be mellow today and going forward as well.

  37. #86

    User Info Menu

    That's a great clip. Thanks for posting, HT.

  38. #87

    User Info Menu

    Helping Kenny is not only a great privilege but also great medicine for your own soul. Kenny Burrell is a gift to the entire world. I am sure that the outpouring of love for Kenny is great medicine for his soul too.

  39. #88

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I met Burrell at the 2004 NAMM show at the Heritage booth. That was the year he was captured on video playing a blue KB with Rory Hoffman (who had no idea who he was playing with until after they had played a tune together. It was pretty funny moment) and Henry Johnson. We chatted for awhile - Kenny seemed like a pretty mellow guy. I certainly hope that the financial support allows him to be mellow today and going forward as well.
    I believe Rory is blind, for those that did not know.

    Doug

  40. #89

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    1) that was the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

    2) Why do I bother? Perhaps my guitars would make good coffee tables....

  41. #90

    User Info Menu

    I donated. Seems the tally is closing in on 2x the target, but based on what his wife posted, they'll need it. And more.

    Some notable contributors: Donald Fagan, Pat Metheny, Dickie Betts, Robbie Krieger, John Densmore.....
    Last edited by BigBear; 05-16-2019 at 03:45 PM.

  42. #91

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBear
    I donated. Seems the tally is closing in on 2x the target, but based on what his wife posted, they'll need it. And more.

    Some notable contributors: Donald Fagan, Pat Metheny, Dickie Betts, Robbie Krieger, John Densmore.....
    Love seeing Dickie donate! He's one of my favorite non-jazz guitarists.

    Some other notables that I mentioned earlier: John McLaughlin, Joe DeFrancesco, Ahmad Jamal, Branford Marsalis and Jimmy Vivino. Even the Village Vanguard kicked in.

  43. #92

    User Info Menu

    I haven't been on this site for some time and just came across this news.
    It's staggering; I had no idea.
    I also did a little reading and apparently UCLA provides benefits and other forms of remuneration. What about SS and Medicaid?
    Who knows, man. Sounds awful for KB and his wife to be doing this sort of thing. The indignity of it all.
    What a f-ed up country.

  44. #93

    User Info Menu

    Nice to see 220.000 $ in 9 days so far..

  45. #94

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I've been listening to a lot of my old KB records lately, he sounds the same whether he's playing his 50s P-90 ES-175, L-5's w Christian pu's, DA NYer, or his Super 400s.
    I'm always amazed at the gorgeous sound he gets.

    Further proof it's the driver, not the car.
    So true that it's in the hands! I think his tone varies but for sure he sounds like himself on all his records. My personal favorite tone of his, if it's possible to pick one, is on A Night At The Vanguard, particularly the cut I'm A Fool To Want You. Just the most beautiful jazz guitar tone in the world for my ears. Love it!

    I kept thinking Super 400 but I believe that's an L5. Doesn't matter anyway, it's him!

  46. #95

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I mean, just because you have insurance doesn't mean it's any good...

    And while current law doesn't allow for "annual" or "lifetime caps," there's ALWAYS fine print...
    Yep. And in all likelihood does not pay for long-term care or long-term home health care (home nursing, personal care aides, certain equipment, etc.). The government's and insurance companies' rules and policies around these things appear to be actually intended to bankrupt people.

  47. #96

    User Info Menu

    Donated.
    A small price to pay for what he's done for my playing.

  48. #97

    User Info Menu

    Just wondering if there are any updates on Kenny Burrell's health problems?

    Thanks

  49. #98

    User Info Menu

    I just checked his FB Page and his last post was on 12/31/19 to wish everyone a Happy New Year.

  50. #99

    User Info Menu

    Below is from Wiki: I don't have any inside info which is why I said "as viewed by some", above since it wouldn't be right or fair to imply something sinister.

    " In 2019, concerns arose about Burrell's well-being and living circumstances as he became increasingly socially and physically isolated in his home and major frictions developed between his wife, Katherine Goodrich, 37 years his junior, and others living in their Westwood, California, apartment building. A GoFundMe account was set up to pay medical bills and other putative expenses, which became controversial because he was covered by medical insurance through employment at UCLA and through Medicare.[13] Subsequently, a letter from Burrell was published, providing a detailed explanation of the situation and justification for the GoFundMe campaign.[14].".

  51. #100

    User Info Menu

    I care a great deal about Kenny Burrell. However, I don't know him personally. I would love to be able to wish him well, as a fan and as someone whose playing has been deeply influenced by Kenny's. OTOH, I'm comparatively nobody and wouldn't want to bug him.

    GT