User Info Menu

I love Herington's playing with Steely Dan, but I didn't know what else he played. Then I saw the videos he has of his second book of his solo guitar arrangements. IMHO, this one is worthy of Johnny Smith:

I went to his website, and found he's a much more mature player than most of the younger players today. He actually places the art of being musically TASTEFUL above just shredding dissonant/spacey licks.
    It turned out that he studied not only with Dennis Sandole (as Mark has pointed out), but also Harry Leahey.
    That explains a lot.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yep, John is an outstanding guitarist, a master of many genres.

I've even heard some things he did as a straight ahead jazz player, and he had chops like Pat Martino.
    He was so good as a jazz player, his teacher, Harry Leahey, used to use him as a sub on jazz gigs. Then, he damaged his left hand/arm from practicing too much.

User Info Menu

I had a vhs tape of him in a band with Mike Stern back in the day and he ripped as impressively as Stern. I believe the band was called, "Chroma". He is a great player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
    I had a vhs tape of him in a band with Mike Stern back in the day and he ripped as impressively as Stern. I believe the band was called, "Chroma". He is a great player.
    Here it is, he is playing a tele-shaped guitar with a whammy bar, do we know what it is ?

-----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

I did the musical,"The Who's, Tommy" last year, and there was one solo guitar piece in it that was so hard, I had to get a little help from the keyboard player on it.
    i wondered who the mf was who played it on Broadway, and sure enough, it was JH.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    Here it is, he is playing a tele-shaped guitar with a whammy bar, do we know what it is ?

Pretty sure JH is playing a Sadowsky T-style there.

T Style - Sadowsky Guitars
    On the Turntable: Joe Morris - Colorfield, Albert Ayler - The Hilversum Session
    Guitar:
    Fender AVRI '59 w/ TI Swing 11s and Tyson Tone pickups
    Through: Polytone Mini Brute II

User Info Menu

Jon Herington Arrangements For Guitar

the arrangements are truly impressive and very complex but IMHO the sound he gets with using a flatpick only on that old L-5 is not very pleasing. My ideal in that respect was and still is the great Ted Greene (for solo guitar), followed by Ed Bickert .....
    not forgetting the guys who invented that style of playing in the late 20's/early 30's !