The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Herb Ellis is one of my favorite guitarists. He's know for his brilliant comping and tasteful solos. And I remember reading somewhere that he said his favorite record he made was Nothing But the Blues.

However...the man could absolutely SHRED as well. I mean, I guess you have to keep up with Oscar Peterson!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hot stuff! Hadn't heard before. Big Herb Ellis fan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Hot stuff! Hadn't heard before. Big Herb Ellis fan.
    The whole album is phenomenal. Despite the name of the record, the performances were actually from dates in Chicago and L.A. in late 1957. It was released on Verve the following year.

User Info Menu

Holy cow!!! That’s amazing.

User Info Menu

I've seen some videos of an older Herb Ellis, and he was still shredding at an advanced age. He kept his motor skills late in life. Although I have to admit I never really liked his playing when he did this. Maybe my only knock on Herb...he's one of my favorites also.
    Last edited by Bahnzo; 05-06-2019 at 12:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I've seen some videos of an older Herb Ellis, and he was still shredding at an advanced age. He kept his motor skills late in life. Although I have to admit I never really liked his playing when he did this. Maybe my only knock on Herb...he's only my favorites also.
    Agreed. I definitely dig Herb when he's swinging, but not ripping through solos. Just thought it was pretty cool that he could do that, but so often refrained from taking that route in his playing.

User Info Menu

Here's Herb live from Montreaux in 1979 , with, "Days of Wine & Roses."

User Info Menu

One of my favorite recordings of Herb, with Stan Getz on tenor sax and Roy Eldridge on trumpet. (Ray Brown on bass and Stan Levey on drums. Killer quintet!)

User Info Menu

And watch him do it:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    And watch him do it:

Oh, look that's on his Aria Pro! Makes me even more stoked own one of those.

User Info Menu

Great stuff! I got to see Herb and the Great Guitars a few times, and they always impressed!

From the title of this post, though, I was hoping/expecting to see a "Shreds" video featuring Herb -- that would've been fun!

Here's one for kicks:

[For the uninitiated, "shreds" vids are jokes.]

User Info Menu

Fun fast jam tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Fun fast jam tune.

That record is SOOOO good.

User Info Menu

Since we're posting vids....how about the Flintstones Theme? It blew me away when I first saw this, but then really dawned on me how good the TV show theme really was.

User Info Menu

Herb swung like crazy but also had chops to burn
    one of the greatest!

he also has great tone!
    check out the album "nothing but the blues" - you can really hear the punchy mids of that P-90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    Herb swung like crazy but also had chops to burn
    one of the greatest!

he also has great tone!
    check out the album "nothing but the blues" - you can really hear the punchy mids of that P-90

Agree completely.
    Herb had great timing. I think he said feel was the most important element of jazz.

Here is something slow that sounds fantastic, Herb Ellis and Freddie Green doing "It Had To Be You" from their album "Rhythm Willie."

User Info Menu

Great stuff, all around!