The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I'm a guitarist...a musician...a jazz lover...a music lover. I listen to everything and everyone. I'm constantly hunting for new stuff to listen to and learn from. How did I go this long without knowing about Vic Juris. The guy is a monster. Monster tone, monster chops, monster phrasing, monster chord voicing...swings like a monster. Great attitude toward the scene as well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I first encountered Vic Juris with Strings Attached at the Zinc Bar.

Vic sounds simply great.

I then checked youtube and found some older concert stage video in which he was absolutely burning. Unbelievable chops was part of it, but only part. Really tasty player.

I'm just grateful to have made the find! It's awesome to become aware of someone who's vibe speaks to you. I wonder who else is out there that I'll come across...it's exciting!

User Info Menu

It's better late than never! Yes, Vic is one of the greatest living jazz guitarists and one of the nicest human beings on the planet!

User Info Menu

Vic Juris has long been an outstanding jazz guitarist - that guy can definitely play!

Glad you finally discovered him and better late than never.

User Info Menu

Check out his "remembering Eric Dolphy," one of my favorite records, period.

User Info Menu

Yep, Vic is the Man!
    Lots of excellent albums, and some great books, too!

User Info Menu

Read that one...the dude is just plain kool!

User Info Menu

I first heard him back in the early 70s playing with Barry Miles. Great player.

User Info Menu

One of the most underrated guitarist of his generation. Check out some of the sessions with him, Larry Corryell and Birelli Lagrene.

The more I listen, the more impressed I am. He can do just about any style...his own way. That's cool as s**t! I was listening to a concert with Latham and Egan, and he sounds like if you put Bill Frisell and Steve Khan in a hadron collider with an extra scoop of chops. Then I hear "Table for One" and that's Metheny-esque...but still his own thing. That tune sure shows that you don't have to play fast to burn a solo.

User Info Menu

This is an excellent album! Groove Apparatus.

User Info Menu

Check out this solo version of Stella by Vic (0:47 to 3:00):

User Info Menu

His work with The Dave Liebman Quartet simply cannot be beat:

User Info Menu

Along with being a stellar single note improviser I have heard Mr. Juris performing amazing chord solos on standard tunes.

User Info Menu

He's had long standing teaching gigs at a couple NY conservatories. Also used to post pretty frequently and insightfully on the old All About Jazz forums.

User Info Menu

Oh, god, The World Of Suzie Wong!

That was a book from the 50's by Richard Mason. My parents had it in their bookcase. I have very fond memories of it.

We lived in Hong Kong too. Great days.

User Info Menu

Vic is certainly a great player. It's funny how some players never quite make the main headlines even when they're that good.

Vic and Bireli from the 80s, trading off leads throughout the album.

Vic first on this tune, then Bireli. This is a tune that Vic wrote.