The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

There are those albums I always seem to come back to. Angel Song, is definitely one of those albums. Everything about this album just moves me. Kenny, Lee, Dave and Bill sound exquisite together.

One live performance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Angel Song is easily on my desert island list. Just wonderful music.

User Info Menu

Yea, mine too. There is something about the music on this album that trandsends genre. Bill’s electric guitar tone on this particular album has influenced my own sound.

User Info Menu

Kenny Wheeler, great composer. He's gone, please cover his tunes!

User Info Menu

Hard to pick out one Kenny Wheeler group, he always had killer rhythm sections and guitarists.

User Info Menu

You can hear Paul Motian in Angel Song album.

User Info Menu

This was one of the two albums that inspired me to pick up the guitar.

I saw Kenny Wheeler's big band on his 75th birthday tour. This was 2005. I was already checking out some jazz, mostly vintage fusion stuff as I playing electric bass at that time.

I went purely because I saw Dave Holland's name in the advertised lineup and had read he was good(!)

The concert included a couple of tunes from Angel Song. I was smitten and when I subsequently bought the Angel Song album, it changed everything for me. Within a couple of months, I had a guitar and some pedals and I was away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    This was one of the two albums that inspired me to pick up the guitar.

I saw Kenny Wheeler's big band on his 75th birthday tour. This was 2005. I was already checking out some jazz, mostly vintage fusion stuff as I playing electric bass at that time.

I went purely because I saw Dave Holland's name in the advertised lineup and had read he was good(!)

The concert included a couple of tunes from Angel Song. I was smitten and when I subsequently bought the Angel Song album, it changed everything for me. Within a couple of months, I had a guitar and some pedals and I was away.

I bet that was an amazing show.

i found this on YouTube. It's a couple songs played live From Angel Song.

Last edited by Melodic Dreamer; 03-29-2019 at 08:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Endorphins
    Kenny Wheeler, great composer. He's gone, please cover his tunes!
    I wrote this on FB a few weeks ago: "Almost five years gone and Kenny Wheeler is still a talent deserving wider recognition (TDWR)."

User Info Menu

Kenny Wheeler's tone was sublime, as was his writing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    Kenny Wheeler's tone was sublime, as was his writing.
    Agreed. He also was one of those musicians who could creat an atmosphere. I love that about his playing.

User Info Menu

His choice of sidemen was also a big part of his sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    His choice of sidemen was also a big part of his sound.
    His albums with famous side men seem to be better known, at least in the states.

All the albums have his great writing.

User Info Menu

A fantastic little documentary on Kenny from the '70s. The second part (currently missing from YouTube) has some great footage of the Azimuth trio with Norma Winstone and John Taylor in the studio. The aerial footage at the end goes so well with the music!