The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How great is this track? Absolutely smokin! I've always been a Herb Ellis fan, but since picking up an old Aria Pro II HE signature I was sparked to revisit his catalogue more deeply.

I forgot how hard Herb could swing!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That is a great track. Don't know how it came to be titled "Wampton Blues." It's Wes Montgomery's "Naptown Blues." Great stuff either way! ;o)

His comping during Oscar's solo is also great. Herb was stellar in that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    That is a great track. Don't know how it came to be titled "Wampton Blues." It's Wes Montgomery's "Naptown Blues." Great stuff either way! ;o)

His comping during Oscar's solo is also great. Herb was stellar in that way.
    Agreed. The comping is almost more impressive than the solo. He's someone I look to when my comping feels tired or uninspired. Just an amazing all around player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmpmcdermott
    Agreed. The comping is almost more impressive than the solo. He's someone I look to when my comping feels tired or uninspired. Just an amazing all around player.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Here's a duet, Herb with Barney Kessel. Each comps well for the other.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Couldn't agree more.
    Here's a duet, Herb with Barney Kessel. Each comps well for the other.

Two of the greatest!

User Info Menu

Both played great in that video, but to me BK’s comping has always stood out above all else.

User Info Menu

I'll never forget seeing Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis playing duets together one night at a club in Annapolis during the late 70s.

At one point Barney was playing so fast that Herb jumped up and started running in place - brought the house down!